PDA

View Full Version : IT help needed

Reid Malenfant
17-08-2011, 20:05
This is hifi related so please don't move it :eyebrows:

Right guys & girls, i have a power amplifier that needs to be connected to the internet via an ethernet port to Lab Gruppen so i can register the amp (apparently the site will read the amp serial number via the internet) & i'll have it registered then & there for it's six year warranty :cool: It'll also download any updates to the firmware used in this thing..

How do i go about this? I have a CD that will run & automatically or via a link connect me to Lab Gruppen. The thing is i only have one ethernet port on my lappy & that is connected to the router, so i can't see how i can plug the amplifier in :rolleyes:

Do i just need some kind of splitter?

Honestly i don't have a clue so any help & guidance will be very much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

Stratmangler
17-08-2011, 20:08
Which router do you have ?

WAD62
17-08-2011, 20:11
Mark, my best guess is that it's network enabled, so have you tried plugging the amp into your router too, rather than into your laptop?

Worth a shot...:)

Reid Malenfant
17-08-2011, 20:12
Hi Chris, it's a BT Voyager 210. However i do have another i can use which is a BT Voyager 220V. Not sure of the differences but the 220V can do VOIP & has two connections for a phone ;)

Reid Malenfant
17-08-2011, 20:13
Mark, my best guess is that it's network enabled, so have you tried plugging the amp into your router too, rather than into your laptop?

Worth a shot...:)
Cheers Will, no haven't as i know nothing about this kind of thing :eyebrows: Besides i stuffed it back in it's box for now.

Thing Fish
17-08-2011, 20:17
I would assume it will have an rj45 type out somewhere about its person? (phone type connector) which as suggested needs to go into your router.

Stratmangler
17-08-2011, 20:18
Both routers only have the one ethernet connection.
You need something like this http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/49529/TP-Link-5-Port-10-100M-Unmanaged-Switch to increase the number of ethernet ports.
Connect your router to one of the ports, and your laptop and amplifier to any of the remaining ones.

aquapiranha
17-08-2011, 20:19
You could use an ethernet switch to get more than one connection?

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/4858968/art/tp-link/tl-sf1005d-5-port-10-100.html?srcid=867&key=ZEp7cEpgauGLeY1+BDQFVnxPECddR9HuTLgTN1ZnZkksJB Amb+feL98sVWRVBSkaRHAMAw==

WAD62
17-08-2011, 20:21
If it's just a temporary thing then perhaps you could use the laptop on wi-fi (if you have it), and give up the ethernet port to the amp...for a bit :)

aquapiranha
17-08-2011, 20:23
No wifi on the 210 Will.

WAD62
17-08-2011, 20:24
No wifi on the 210 Will.

I'll get my coat...;)

Reid Malenfant
17-08-2011, 20:33
:lolsign: Keep it coming guys & thanks! I don't believe in WiFi, i don't want it, i like wires :eyebrows:

Chris, so i might not be too far out with the splitter thing... A switch would do the same trick huh? Apologies for my stupidity for not knowing how this all works, but i reckon i'd need to get to the right site & have that coming through my router for the amp to suss what's going on.

Or am i being simplistic & it knows where to go? :lolsign: I just don't have the foggiest as this is new to me entirely. I have BD players that i could connect, but 1. I don't know how & 2. I have no desire to :cool:

Stratmangler
17-08-2011, 20:40
The switch is the way to go - both your amp and your computer can share the router connection.
That and some patch leads.

When you contact the manufacturers to register they'll more than likely be scanning your IP address for a device that is attached to network and trying to contact home.

Reid Malenfant
17-08-2011, 20:40
Oh, by the way, here is what you are helping me with (http://labgruppen.com/media/downloads/product/PLM_Series_Technical_Data_Sheet_TDS_PLM14000_V5.pd f) :eyebrows:

:eek: :eek:

Stratmangler
17-08-2011, 20:42
Cuddly little number, eh ?

Reid Malenfant
17-08-2011, 20:49
I'm hoping so Chris, it'll only be doing bass though & @ 8ohms per channel... Still crazy though :eyebrows: But i do have 4KW of subs to power in the future (:mental:) & this will do it 5094

Cheers for your help Chris, i'll look out for a cheap ethernet switch. I'm in no rush so a few weeks is neither here nor there :)

Stratmangler
17-08-2011, 20:52
The switch I linked to is pretty inexpensive.
A quick look on the Bay led to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Port-10-100-Fast-Ethernet-Network-LAN-Switch-hub-RJ45-/310153132382?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkSwitches_RL&hash=item483691395e

Reid Malenfant
17-08-2011, 20:57
The switch I linked to is pretty inexpensive.
A quick look on the Bay led to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Port-10-100-Fast-Ethernet-Network-LAN-Switch-hub-RJ45-/310153132382?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkSwitches_RL&hash=item483691395e
That'll do nicely - thank you sir!

Cheers for your help & enjoy the rest of your evening! :)

Much appreciated, even though i wasn't a country mile out it's great to come on here & have it spelled out to you if you just don't know ;) I didn't...

All the best Chris :)

Butuz
17-08-2011, 22:11
Yup stratmangler has hit the nail on the head follow his advice and you'll have it linked up registered and updated in no time.

I would send you one but frankly it isn't worth the postage as the ebay link above shows is £5.50 for a new one so its not worth me fiddlarsing around with :-)

Just click the link and buy now :D

PS that amp looks bonkers. I take it it appears to be a bunch of class d/class t amps all linked up together and shoehorned into one box? Sounds well bloody interesting!!!!

Butuz

Clive
17-08-2011, 22:33
With all that power on tap I'm surprised the amp needs a network to contact the server! Can't it just beam the details from the outputs?

Reid Malenfant
17-08-2011, 22:37
PS that amp looks bonkers. I take it it appears to be a bunch of class d/class t amps all linked up together and shoehorned into one box? Sounds well bloody interesting!!!!

Butuz
Cheers Butuz, is that really your name? :scratch:

Yeah the amp is a bit nuts :mental: It's kind of like a Carver Lightstar (google it) so it's super efficient & can supply 7KW RMS per channel into 2 ohms :eek: I'll be using an 8ohm per channel combination so it'll be capable of just over 2150W RMS per channel :eyebrows:

Trust me in that i'll never have it at that power level... Even though i have 4KW of bass drivers it'd just be too much! There is my reasoning, no matter what i do the distortion level will be so low i'll never have to worry about it.

I like things loud to :eyebrows: I hate distortion...

Reid Malenfant
19-08-2011, 18:44
Well i got one of these ethernet hubs & went to register the amp today, turns out i didn't need it as i could do it manually :doh:

I'll keep it though as it was only about £7.50 delivered (arrived in 24hrs) as i might decide to play about with this Lake software at some stage...

On a totally different note it just occured to me earlier that one of these amps would make a superb balanced mains regenerator :eyebrows: All you'd need is a low distortion 50Hz oscillator & you'd be in business ;) With a peak output of 193V per channel it still looks like it could cope with a 14KW output with +/- 118V RMS output (167V pk) :eek: Direct driven as well, no nasty transformer :cool:

flatpopely
19-08-2011, 20:22
The key is finding a low distortion sine wave generator.......filtering a square wave isn't going to cut it.

Reid Malenfant
19-08-2011, 20:37
The key is finding a low distortion sine wave generator.......filtering a square wave isn't going to cut it.
How about this.. (http://www.diy-electronic-projects.com/p188-Low-distortion-Audio-range-Oscillator). :)

flatpopely
19-08-2011, 20:49
Looks good, just don't ask me to build it! My first 555 circuit at tech college didn't work......at all.

Reid Malenfant
19-08-2011, 21:00
I'm not even going to Andrew, i want the amp for 10 - 100Hz duties ;) However as i have mentioned if anyone wants a high powered regenerator then this amp is it. Assuming you feed both inputs & set one to invert via the menu.. Which is incredibly comprehensive!

I find running my front end via a regenerator gets rid of all problems, power amps can run on standard mains as far as i'm concerned :)

All the best & i hope you have a pleasant weekend chap :cool: