PDA

View Full Version : Yahama NS 655 speakers

Wakefield Turntables
17-08-2011, 18:40
I've been tasked with fixing the bass driver by a mate of mine. The whole bass unit begins to buzz and vibrate when we turn music up loud. Has anyone got any ideas as to what it could be?? We dont really want to replace any driver units as he's had these since new 34 years ago!!

PS has anyone got thoughts about how these sound as I've only managed to hear the one unit, the others at my mates house!!!

Cheers

Andy

Stratmangler
17-08-2011, 20:02
Are the foam surrounds OK ?

Alex_UK
17-08-2011, 20:02
Have you tried turning the offending bass unit upside down? Could be the voice coil "sagging"?

Wakefield Turntables
17-08-2011, 21:01
Thanks, will try tomorrow.

Reid Malenfant
17-08-2011, 21:07
Thanks, will try tomorrow.
When you unscrew the driver, remove it just a bit & see if you can see how the cable feeding it is routed ;) It's quite possible that the cable might be rattling against part of the cabinet, seen it before...

Good luck solving the problem...

Oh, have you considered that the driver might be hitting it's mechanical limits if it's pretty loud? It'll buzz then for sure, even if the voicecoil isn't rubbing & the possible need for a 180 degree turn as Alex mentioned..

Wakefield Turntables
17-08-2011, 21:10
Coolio thanks! Be quite cool if one of these simple fixes work.

Stratmangler
21-08-2011, 15:57
Any news on this yet ?

Wakefield Turntables
21-08-2011, 16:06
Not yet dude! I rotated the bass driver as suggested and made sure all wires to clear to rear of the driver. There seemed to be no issues with the quality of the solder joints. I must say that these things are extremely well dampened inside. My mate is hopefully going to pick it up and try it. I'll update you accordingly, thanks for asking by the way!!! :cool:

Wakefield Turntables
31-08-2011, 19:49
guys!

just a quick update the yams are now working!!! I rotated the bass driver and it now stops buzzing and vibrating I think the driver most have sagged. Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I've learned a few new things here. :eek:

Alex_UK
01-09-2011, 17:44
:thumbsup: great!

Wakefield Turntables
01-09-2011, 19:48
Yeah thats what I thought, I was crapping :booty: myself that I'd have to do anything else, Ive rebuilt the X-over on some celestion speakers and a bit of rewiring but thats as far as it goes.