PDA

View Full Version : Dirt cheap external PSU for 1200Mkx

bobp
17-08-2011, 15:21
Whenever I encounter a problem in Hi-Fi world that requires serious outlay of money, I try to find solution in real world where the economy of scale kicks in.

Power regulation for non-audio circuits seems to be one such field. The issues we encounter with powering up Technics motor are trivial when compared with lab, military and other sensitive real-life applications.

Imagine working in a remote area with unstable AC voltage and you operate sensitive military equipment needing reliable 21DC supply. Would your first line of defense be the audiophile-grade cottage industry solution or milspec grade off the shelf equipment?

21V DC in our case is needed to operate motor, not audio circuits. I started digging and found one from the real world that can be used to drive Technics.

Nemco-Lambda PS-10-24 or PS-11-24.

Output can be set to 21DC and provides more than ample current (3.0A and 5.0A respectively)

Input voltage is 85-132V.

Price varies from $20 (surplus) to around $120(new).

I guess that Lambda is head and shoulders ahead of using stock 1200 PSU
in external case.

But I wonder how Lambda compares to cottage industry models costing 10-20x more.

Never heard anyone mention it and I find it rather odd. Best kept secret
or there is another reason for it?

worrasf
17-08-2011, 16:06
Never heard anyone mention it and I find it rather odd. Best kept secret
or there is another reason for it?

Hi, I have used a Lamda linear PSU a while ago with my Caiman DAC and posted here on AoS. It was a very worthwhile improvement for small money although it was significantly bettered IMHO by the Teddy Pardoe PSU. A word of warning if you buy one - be sure to check the DC output with a DVM BEFORE connecting it to your kit - these units can output substantially higher voltages than rated and you can easily fry your PCB if the output has shifted in transit :stalks:

Steve