PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we agree on ANYTHING?

keiths
14-08-2011, 20:46
It occurs to me, on matters hi-fi, there seems to be no aspect of the hobby where there is almost universal agreement as to the best way to do something.

Analogue or digital? Direct drive, idler drive or belt drive turntables? Valves or semiconductors? Sealed box, reflex or OB speakers? Light but rigid or massive stands? Couple (spikes/cones) or de-couple (sorbothane etc.) speakers/components from floor/stands? Asynchronous USB or not? Cables do/don't make a difference? Measure or listen?

Can anyone think of something that all audiophiles agree on? Are any other hobbies like this? :scratch:

Reid Malenfant
14-08-2011, 20:51
Every hobby, everything....

Only human :eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
14-08-2011, 21:03
Yes, its all about the music, unlocking it and enjoying it.

Regards D S D L

worthingpagan
14-08-2011, 21:18
It occurs to me, on matters hi-fi, there seems to be no aspect of the hobby where there is almost universal agreement as to the best way to do something.

Analogue or digital? Direct drive, idler drive or belt drive turntables? Valves or semiconductors? Sealed box, reflex or OB speakers? Light but rigid or massive stands? Couple (spikes/cones) or de-couple (sorbothane etc.) speakers/components from floor/stands? Asynchronous USB or not? Cables do/don't make a difference? Measure or listen?

Can anyone think of something that all audiophiles agree on? Are any other hobbies like this? :scratch:

Sorry but I just can't agree :lol::lolsign:

Alex_UK
14-08-2011, 21:18
Gosh, that is a tough one Keith!

The only thing I can vaguely think of is DACs - does anyone disagree that (particularly with file based audio) that adding a DAC isn't a good thing...?

Folkboy
14-08-2011, 21:35
Are any other hobbies like this? :scratch:
Football.

Tim
14-08-2011, 22:12
Can anyone think of something that all audiophiles agree on?
Without any equipment you get no music, that's about the only thing I reckon would be universally agreed upon.

To be honest though, would you want everyone to agree?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
15-08-2011, 00:03

We agree that we like music and good hi-fi.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
15-08-2011, 00:08
Gosh, that is a tough one Keith!

The only thing I can vaguely think of is DACs - does anyone disagree that (particularly with file based audio) that adding a DAC isn't a good thing...?

Yes, it depends on the DAC :ner: I have an inbuilt DAC in the TFS that sees off any external DAC I have heard.

goraman
15-08-2011, 00:26
I think we can all agree,that my hifi sounds better than your hifi!:ner:

WOStantonCS100
15-08-2011, 00:43
We agree that we like music and good hi-fi.

As long as we don't have to agree on what constitutes good music and good hi-fi, we're all set.............................. :doh: But, in the most general of terms, I would agree with that. :lol:

DSJR
15-08-2011, 09:47
Well, I can't live without music at some point in the day, however derived ;)

griffo104
15-08-2011, 11:01
We all enjoy music but all have different ways of interpreting it.

I've never really gotten on with valves and SUTs but that's not to say I haven't heard good systems using this kit but none that highlights what I really enjoy from my listening.

Nothing worse than going to a bake off where all are gasping in amazement and I'm sat there going "not enough bass and the treble sounds shut in" :rolleyes:

magiccarpetride
15-08-2011, 19:32

If we all agreed on anything, this would cease to be a pissing contest. Meaning, life would lose any meaning.

magiccarpetride
15-08-2011, 19:34
Nothing worse than going to a bake off where all are gasping in amazement and I'm sat there going "not enough bass and the treble sounds shut in" :rolleyes:

There is one thing worse than that: starving in Somalia.

WOStantonCS100
15-08-2011, 21:42
Well, I can't live without music at some point in the day, however derived ;)

Righto!!

Now, that resonates with me 200%. And, I fully admit that I turn into a complete arse bastage if I go without music for any length of time (as opposed to just being a run-of-the-mill everyday bastage ;) ).

Alex_UK
15-08-2011, 22:00
I sincerely doubt I've ever gone a day without music, (and not counting the "Eastenders" theme tune, either!) in the last 25 years... I've said before, but I really don't think I could live without music. I guess if I lost my hearing I'd have to, but I'd hope my brain would still be able to "remember" in that awful scenario...

griffo104
16-08-2011, 09:09
There is one thing worse than that: starving in Somalia.

Actually there are lots of things worse than that but not from a hifi point of view :)

Alex_UK
16-08-2011, 11:59
Actually there are lots of things worse than that but not from a hifi point of view :)

I think that was a friendly little dig at me, from when I referenced the Somalian disaster in another thread - but don't worry MagicCarpet Alex, I'll get my own back - when you hit 999 posts I'll be exercising the "ban" button! ;)

:lolsign: