PDA

View Full Version : Two Yamaha amps. Can I do it. Will it work

isuckedmandelsonslemons
05-08-2011, 08:17
OK, I'm relatively new to this so excuse my ignorance.

I have a Yamaha AS2000 amp and matching CD player. These are driving a pair of sublime Usher Compass 6381 speakers.

I'm very, very happy with the sound but . . . . I'm sure it can get better.

Looking at two options. Feel free to point out my foolhardiness or makke alternative suggestions.

OPTION 1. Move the Yamaha amp to my upstairs system to partner the Yamaha CDS1000 player. I would then look at buying the XTZ D3 intergrated amp and the XTZ AP100 power amp. I'd drive bass with power amp and high end with the integrated.

I know that this would work and I've spoken to Shaun at Audiosanctum who couldn't have been more helpful. I can demo this option.

OPTION 2. This would be my wife's preferred option as everything would match but I don't know if it's a) possible and b) sensible. Buy a second Yamaha amp (either the AS2000 or the AS1000) The AS2000 has a pre out and main in. How would I wire it to drive speakers and would iit be worth it.

Just read through my post and I sound like a right numpty with more money than sense. pretty much what the wife says.

Anyway, fire away guys. . . .

Harry

Ali Tait
05-08-2011, 09:08
Yes, no reason why not. Am not familiar with these amps, are they integrateds or power amps? Do they have vol controls?

isuckedmandelsonslemons
05-08-2011, 11:31
Yes, no reason why not. Am not familiar with these amps, are they integrateds or power amps? Do they have vol controls?

Hi Ali. Presumably that's a yes to using two Yamahas?

The Yamaha AS2000 is integrated and has volume control.

Ali Tait
05-08-2011, 11:59
Ok, so if you have two identical amps, you can connect one to the bass and the other to the mid/top. You could feed the amps from your source using some Y connectors, but this would mean you would have to adjust both volume controls every time you wanted to change volume. The better solution would be to use a preamp, and just set the vol pots on the amps to about 75% and use the pot on the preamp to control volume.

The Grand Wazoo
05-08-2011, 16:10
If the amps are identical, then it's usually better to use one for each speaker (as in monoblocks) and take advantage of true channel separation than to split the signal by drivers. Vertical bi-amping rather than horizontal.

Ali Tait
05-08-2011, 16:34
Aye, but that only works if you can bridge the amp.

The Grand Wazoo
05-08-2011, 16:40
Nah..........on the amp you use for the left speaker you use the left channel for the tweeters & the right channel for the bass (or vice versa) and the same on the other amp to the right speaker. Feed the amps with only left or right channel info through a splitter & Bob's yer Auntie's live in lover!

Ali Tait
05-08-2011, 17:23
ahh I see what you mean. Aye that'd work. Never tried it myself.

Barry
05-08-2011, 18:07
Might I 'plug' the AoS Library, and in particular the item on Bi-wiring and Bi-amping:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5818 ?

Regards

Reid Malenfant
05-08-2011, 18:21
Oh dear. You can use one amp for controlling the volume of both power amp sections ;)

Simply connect a y splitter on the pre-output of the amp the amp that you want to control the volume. Then from one Y section connect to the power amp in of that amp & from the second section of the splitter connect to the power amp in of the second amp...

Simple, you have bypassed all input & volume sections of the second amp & it's slaved to the one with the volume control. Then as stated connect one to the left & right bass/mid sections on the speakers & one amp to left & right treble ;)

Bob is then your dads brother as they say :cool: