PDA

View Full Version : Albarry PP1 strange question re clicking sound?

Tim
30-07-2011, 21:03
Slightly unusual question, which I have an idea about myself, but thought I would ask anyway.

I have an Albarry PP1 which I bought recently and I totally love the sound, probably one of the most musical SS amps I have heard in sometime, beautiful velvety valve like presentation that I can listen to for hours and hours. I took the lid off when I first bought it and set it up on an IKEA Lack table in front of my rack, to compare it with my Musical Fidelity amp. Whilst doing so I noticed an occasional very faint click sound, much like the faint crackle you would get from a stylus on a speck of dust - barely perceptible and it would only occur maybe once or twice an hour. I wasn't too worried as it was so faint, but it's there.

Today I put the top cover back on and placed the unit in my Hi-Fi rack and it's been playing all day now, without it seems any more pops or clicks - any ideas?, could it be as simple as maybe an airborne particle settling on something and getting fried :scratch: I'm a total novice when it comes to electronics, unless it's a computer.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/albarry2.jpg

Such simple curcuitry - such a beautiful sound.
My uncovered Albarry PP1 - an absolutely gorgeous sound with a wonderful rich midrange that really suits my Harbeth's. It seems there is some delightful synergy going on here and to my ears it easily surpasses my Musical Fidelity A3 as far as sound quality, bargain of the century and all thanks to AoS :)

DSJR
31-07-2011, 10:28
I have to say that the new Albarry mono's also sound sublime with Harbeths; more control than with a croft series 7 but with no loos of subtlety. The Croft 7R is half the price though and you could buy three Series 7 standard amps for one pair of Albarry mono's...

Regarding your question, possible airborn interference from a fridge or similar thermostat? if it's gone with the lid on (the way it was designed to be used ;)), don't worry at all about it.

I remember Neil as a gentle-man, very helpful and dedicated. I'm sure he'd be happy to help should you ever need it... HiFi dave knows him well and could act as an intermediary if necessary I think..

Tim
31-07-2011, 11:19
Regarding your question, possible airborn interference from a fridge or similar thermostat? if it's gone with the lid on (the way it was designed to be used ;)), don't worry at all about it.
:o hmmm, yes indeed.

Thanks Dave, I was actually quite astonished at how good they sounded together compared to the A3 and it's 20 years old now - perfect for my listening tastes. I didn't use it for sometime after buying it, being a little fearful of hooking up an old amp to the Harbeth's. I found some old speakers and ran it through them occasionally with the lid off and then left it on 24/7 . . . all seemed fine, apart from the occasional soft click, which I never had with the A3. It's firmly in place now since last weekend and the A3 is up for sale, which is the last thing I have left of my original system since joining AoS. Apart from my headphones, every single item in my signature was either bought or built in the last few months.

hifi_dave
31-07-2011, 16:38
As Dave said, it's probably just airborne interference and if it goes with the lid on (as designed), I wouldn't worry about it.

They were great little amps and we sold bucket loads of them up against all the 'raves' of the time. I've only just learnt from Neil, that he lost money on each one he made.

Tim
13-08-2011, 01:30
:doh: what a dullard..... it's my TV!

When I first started using the Albarry, Neil Burnett suggested I leave it on all the time, so I did and maybe became over sensitive to noises, as I cannot remember it from before. Then I started turning it off due to a slight concern over the sound and noticed it carried on. Tonight I thought 'right, what's going on' so turned the amp off and unplugged the speaker cables, but whilst watching TV I noticed it again, so I stood right up to the TV and sure enough, it's coming from the TV and not my loudspeakers.

Google is your friend panasonic tv clicking noise (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&cp=18&gs_id=1n&xhr=t&q=panasonic+tv+clicking+noise&pf=p&sclient=psy&biw=1920&bih=991&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=panasonic+tv+click&aq=0&aqi=g3g-v1g-b1&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=1433ed02ab481eb4)
It seems to be well documented for Panasonic Plasma screens and now it's started on mine it's really bugging me :steam:

Alex_UK
13-08-2011, 12:37
You've got me paranoid about my Panny now... Still, at least your amp is ok! :)

DSJR
13-08-2011, 13:33
Well if all you showoffs will ditch a perfectly good CRT for a fancy huge plasma or wotevva :D

I had to take a couple of CRT computer monitors to the tip a couple of days ago (Alex knows the story :)) and the container was FULL of TV's. I wonder how many of them were actually faulty?

Reid Malenfant
13-08-2011, 19:17
Things warm up & expand at different rates, then cool down at different rates...

You should hear the nice TINKKKK i get from my PS Audio P600 when i turn on the projector. It happens after about 10 seconds as there is vastly more dissipation all of a sudden & things expand unevenly due to being dissimilar metals ;)

Parr for the course i'm afraid :eyebrows:

Tim
13-08-2011, 19:30
Well if all you showoffs will ditch a perfectly good CRT for a fancy huge plasma or wotevva :D?
Well I can't argue with that Dave, but I did sell my perfectly good CRT on eBay, on for 1p and got £36.00 so I was happy . . . . I think :scratch:

However, since my complete upgrade I hardly ever watch TV anymore, maybe 5-6 hours a week at the most. But it's off at the mains now to stop the damn ticking noise.

Mark, it's not cabinet expansion, some other fault that so far I cannot find an explanation for. If it manifests itself, it's often after about 6 months use, which is about where I am now - up to now nothing at all, total silence. I'm going to contact Panasonic UK to see what they say and after that John Lewis. It's minor I know but if I'm listening to music I hate it, so cannot record anything (it's got a built in recorder) without it spoiling my listening pleasure. It has however confirmed that I could never live with a turntable again.

Reid Malenfant
13-08-2011, 19:33
John Lewis are good about things in general :) Best of luck sorting it Tim, i'm sure between Panasonic themselves & JL you'll end up a happy chappie ;)