PDA

View Full Version : Stunning condition original Audiolab 8000M monoblocs

Phil Bishop
22-10-2008, 09:31
For sale, two immaculate condition Audiolab 8000M monoblock amplifiers. PSUs upgraded by the Audiocellar, an Audiolab expert. Lightly used, mint. Looking for around £800 - I have seen poorer condition versions go for more on ebay. Boxed, manuals, etc.

Contact me at bishopfamily@ntlworld.com if interested (or 07747 642586)

See photos:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/PhilBishop/2003_0101arcam-audiolab0006.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/PhilBishop/2003_0101arcam-audiolab0007.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/PhilBishop/2003_0101arcam-audiolab0008.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/PhilBishop/2003_0101arcam-audiolab0009.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/PhilBishop/2003_0101arcam-audiolab0010.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/PhilBishop/2003_0101arcam-audiolab0011.jpg

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm318/PhilBishop/2003_0101arcam-audiolab0012.jpg

Filterlab
23-10-2008, 11:28
What you got to replace them Phil?

Phil Bishop
29-10-2008, 11:09
Rob,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I am running ADM9s and sub direct from a Macbook via Airport Express. Rather like "don't mention the war", "don't mention the ADM9s", but I have to admit I have become an AVI devotee!

Phil

Filterlab
29-10-2008, 11:25
Fair enough matey, everyone likes different things, I'm glad they're doing it for you. :)

Good luck with your sale, ebay will be the best bet, Audiolab gear goes like hot cakes on there.

Phil Bishop
30-10-2008, 16:15
Rob. They are on ebay now and already have a lot of watchers. I had some Epos speakers for sale and had them on various Forum sale pages for weeks/months. Put them on ebay and they went within a day for more than I was asking on the Forums - crazy! But ebay is where people seem to look!

As for the ADM9s, they have impressed me. Now I am not (or was not until recently) a major hi fi geek. I had a modest system (I guess around £4 - 5K's worth) that I lived happily with for years. But then it started sounding not so good to me, so I tried changing/tweaking bits and pieces, but it never sounded great - harshness, etc. I tried expensive cables and got quite anal about things.....but then I discovered computer audio and the ADM9s. All I can say is they just make everything sound good to great....and what a neat set up - a pair of speakers in the listening room and your Macbook anywhere else within wireless range. No more obsessing! The system also compliments an ipod set up - have an ipod playing lossless through say a Graham Slee portable amp to decent headphones (say Grado SR60s) and experince great sound on the move.

I believe the ADM9.1s are even better and I am thinking about upgrading - I suspect the 9's may sound slighly "closed in" compared to the 9.1s.

...and all for around £1K (assuming you already have a computer).

Best wishes

Phil

Marco
30-10-2008, 19:21
Enjoy, Phil! You won't get lynched here for using ADM9s (or anything else for that matter). Best of luck with the sale of your Audiolabs :)

Marco.

Filterlab
31-10-2008, 10:50
Everyone has their own source of enjoyment, I'm glad the AVI stuff works for you mate! Certainly computer based audio removes a load of hassle from hi-fi and I've also found that all of my CDs are now enjoyable rather than just some of them. :)

Good luck with your sale, they'll be queueing up for them Audiolabs. ;)

Ali Tait
01-11-2008, 17:12
I may have to work away in Aberdeen for the next couple of years,so am seriously considering a pair of 9's to use in my accommodation.Should give me a good sound for movies and music with my laptop,and be easily portable too.Seems like a no brainer,uless anyone knows of anything else that does the same job for the same cash?

Phil Bishop
02-11-2008, 22:50
Ali,

In my opinion they are very good and convenient. I have the ADM9s plus Sub in cherry (the Sub was actually custom made by AVI). However, I am toying with the idea of upgrading to 9.1s in piano black in which case I may sell my existing set up which is only a few months old. You may, or may not, be interested - I am based in Reading.

Just a thought - I have not made any firm decisions yet.

If you wanted to contact me about it, you can at bishopfamily@ntlworld.com

Phil

StanleyB
03-11-2008, 10:18
You should try one of my DACs between the AE and the ADM9. I have had a lot of AE folks who mentioned to me their AE was transformed beyound recognition. You'll get deeper and more punch bass for one thing amongst many.

Stan

Phil Bishop
06-11-2008, 12:27
Thanks Stan, I did own one of your excellent DACs. However, the ADM9s have their own built in DAC which seems excellent to me. So I run an optical toslink from AE to ADM9s. If I was running a conventional system from an AE, then your DAC would be first on my list! I have thought about getting another one of your DACs to use in a headphone system direct from the Mac - got any deals going?

Phil

Filterlab
06-11-2008, 14:10
Always worth trying a separate DAC Phil, remember the whole ADM9 package costs a grand including the expensive speaker enclosures (probably the most expensive component), imagine how much difference a separate DAC costing a few hundred quid would make. I think Stan's DAC is only about £110, absurdly good value!

Ali Tait
06-11-2008, 21:13
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the heads-up.PM me if/when you're thinking of selling.

Regards.

Phil Bishop
06-11-2008, 22:46
Rob,

Agreed, but Ashley would argue that in fact the key components (DACs, amps, etc) don't need to actually take up much space or be expensive. Don't want to kick off a whole new ADM9 debate, however! I have owned a Beresford DAC which I used with my previous system and was very impressed.

Ali,

I am seriously thinking about upgrading from my ADM9's to 9.1's imminently - was even toying with listing them on ebay this w/e. What I have is a pair of ADM9's in cherry, a few months old in "as new" condition, boxed, all cables, remote, etc, etc. RRP originally £1,000ish - I would let them go for around £700. I can send photos if you are interested. I plan on keeping the Sub as this will also work with 9.1's.

Phil

Filterlab
07-11-2008, 13:21
Rob,

Agreed, but Ashley would argue that in fact the key components (DACs, amps, etc) don't need to actually take up much space or be expensive. Don't want to kick off a whole new ADM9 debate, however! I have owned a Beresford DAC which I used with my previous system and was very impressed.

Of course, I'd forgotten that. I consider Ashley to be very knowledgeable about hi-fi and I know he's done loads of research and succeeded in designing and building award winning components. Still, can't hurt to try! ;)

Ali,

I am seriously thinking about upgrading from my ADM9's to 9.1's imminently - was even toying with listing them on ebay this w/e. What I have is a pair of ADM9's in cherry, a few months old in "as new" condition, boxed, all cables, remote, etc, etc. RRP originally £1,000ish - I would let them go for around £700. I can send photos if you are interested. I plan on keeping the Sub as this will also work with 9.1's.

Phil

Stick some pictures up matey. :)

Phil Bishop
07-11-2008, 14:43
Rob,

Will post some pics of ADM9s now as separate post!

I have visited AVI on a couple of occasions. On one occasion, Martin (who I believe is the chief technical whizz) showed me the internals of my ADM9 and if you are used to conventional hi fi boxes you are staggered about how little appears to be there. He pointed out the DAC and it was just a tiny component of a circuit board! Having been used to DACs in black boxes I was gobsmacked. Yet it all seems to work fantastically and these are powerful boxes.

BTW Rob, I owe you a debt of gratitude for pointing me in the direction of computer audio.

Phil

Filterlab
07-11-2008, 15:54
I have visited AVI on a couple of occasions. On one occasion, Martin (who I believe is the chief technical whizz) showed me the internals of my ADM9 and if you are used to conventional hi fi boxes you are staggered about how little appears to be there. He pointed out the DAC and it was just a tiny component of a circuit board! Having been used to DACs in black boxes I was gobsmacked. Yet it all seems to work fantastically and these are powerful boxes.

It's interesting how we get used to everything being mounted into a 43cm wide box weighing 10 kilos, digital stuff simply doesn't need to be in a box that big. I think the size of a component used to matter more years back than it does now as manufacturers seem to be opting for cases sized for the componentry held within. Take for example the Flying Mole amps or the NuForce amps which could be housed in standard hi-fi width cases but they're not, they're in tiny cases, which lowers expectations from the audiophile traditionalists - wrongly I might add!

BTW Rob, I owe you a debt of gratitude for pointing me in the direction of computer audio.

Phil

My pleasure Phil, I'm glad it's worked out for you. Personally I've never been happier with the presentation, accuracy and all-round enjoyment that I get from my comparatively modest system and it's all to do with having a stable source.

Prince of Darkness
07-11-2008, 20:46
He pointed out the DAC and it was just a tiny component of a circuit board! Having been used to DACs in black boxes I was gobsmacked.

A lot of these black boxes are filled mainly with air.:lol: If there is a lot in it is often mainly PSU.