PDA

View Full Version : Who has been the greatest live act ever?

Mudbug
20-10-2008, 19:08
Who has been the greatest live act ever?

The Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, Queen, Pink Floyd, The Who, Bowie, Nirvana or someone else?

This Day in Music have just started a poll to find out. If you fancy voting for who you think should win go to http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

You can vote for any act, just go to 'other' on the list.

Beechwoods
20-10-2008, 19:28
I think that for the simple thrill of a brilliant live show, the first time I saw Flaming Lips, has got to take the biscuit. I'd not heard their stuff before - and to be honest they are so much better live than on record anyway - but they blew me away. An amazing show, with real entertainment value.

The only other band that have come close were the Super Furry Animals. Both bands know how to put on a great show, and take your breath away with simple rock and roll and old-fashioned showmanship...

aquapiranha
20-10-2008, 22:26
For me I think possibly it would be Tori Amos, closely followed by Cara Dillon, then Judie Tzuke, Bjork and Barclay James Harvest bringing up the rear....

Prince of Darkness
21-10-2008, 06:47
For me it has to be Buddy Guy. Phenomenal guitarist and singer, plus a great showman.

Mike
21-10-2008, 21:03
I'm not sure if this is about the best gig of all time or the best gig one has been to? :confused:

Best I've been to is a hard question, I'll say (for now) it was the first one, which was 'The Ramones'. At least that was the first one I chose to go to on my own! ;)

There were others which may have been technically better, but that was 'special', if you see what I mean. :)

Beechwoods
22-10-2008, 06:26
I'm not sure if this is about the best gig of all time or the best gig one has been to? :confused:

There were others which may have been technically better, but that was 'special', if you see what I mean. :)

That was exactly what I was thinking when I saw the question. I've seen Floyd a bunch of times, and I've thousands of hours of Floyd live recordings, and they did some corkers. But nothing can capture the excitement of actually being there, and having your socks knocked off :)

John
22-10-2008, 06:55
I just been to many concerts to really say but I tend to perfer seeing a band give it all at a small club with lots of atmosphere than some place like Wembley or big open air Festival. I like the sweat intimacy and just in your face live power and emotion a small club can bring!
Would of loved to have seen Hendrix in the early days at someplace like the Marquee or Led Zep in all there pomp and Jeff Buckley just to be moved by that amazing voice
I just love live music and to narrow it done to my favourite is just to hard for me
But hear are a few
Diamond Head Woolwich 1980 night after the riots only 50 people turned up but great humour
Larry Carlton at the Royal Festival Hall
Jonas Hellborg and Shawn Lane at the Jazz cafe
Dream Theatre at the Marquee
Hanoi Rocks at the Marquee
Zero hour at headway Holland
Mogibil at headway
Kate Bush at Hammersmith
Use to love watching The last of the Teenage Idols at the Marquee musicainship not great but real fun to watch
Al Di Meola Jazz Cafe

Alex D
22-10-2008, 11:46
... one of those posts that has no real answer! ;)

My best live experiences (those that spring to mind) have been:

Lou Reed in 2002, for the Ecstasty tour... on top form, his best album since The Blue Mask. He even played Sweet Jane! A rare rare thing.
Tsunamis, a chilean band, in 2003. A minute venue. A great band on top form, one of those concerts where everything just clicks and the band elevates you, thrills you, makes your skin tingle, want to dance, and have sex with whoever comes next through that door. Their albums do not make them justice, however.
Spiritualized at the Koko, 2008: one of my favourite bands on tour with a true return to form album. Who knew noise could be so heavenly?
David Bowie, 1997, Earthling tour. Not his best album but a band who, in his own words, were "the dogs bollocks". True.
I guess I would have to add my first pop concert (don't laugh) as it showed me what live music was. Please bear in mind I was 12 at the time... A-Ha in 1990! What I most remember of the concert is the people actually. It was fascinating watching 5000 people just thrusting their attention to 3 guys on a stage.

As to who has been the greatest live act? Dunno... I guess that it depends on the venue?
Could we split the question in two?: Big venue v/s small venue?

:gig:

Beechwoods
22-10-2008, 13:16
Spiritualized at the Koko, 2008: one of my favourite bands on tour with a true return to form album. Who knew noise could be so heavenly?

:lol: I saw Spiritualized at Bristol Colston Hall and it was one of the wierdest experiences of my life. I think it was during Electric Mainline - they got a mirrorball out and with the maelstrom of noise and light I felt like I was being levitated. An experience that seemed to last minutes, and was quite disorientating. And that was without any unnatural chemical help (at least on my part, I can't speak for J Spaceman :)).

Absolutely fantastic gig. I shouldn't say, but I got a pretty nice recording of it too, just as well I was sitting down!

Togil
22-10-2008, 18:55
For me , without doubt and by a large margin

Family

the most wonderfully creative music and a stunning act by Roger Chapman

Acorn3a
23-10-2008, 13:20
In the late sixties in a small town called Ramsey,(nr Peterborough Cambs).Me and a gang of mates saw a blue chevi corvette stingray and a massive black limo draw up and out climbed The Who.
They had come to perform in a small hall in the town,tickets were 10 shillings (50p),so we walked to the hall with them.It was a fantastic performance,my ears are still ringing.
When we came out we saw they had parking tickets on both cars,i always wondered if they paid the fines,very doubtful.

anubisgrau
19-11-2008, 23:56
After hearing "How the West Was Won", it has to be Led Zep....

The Grand Wazoo
22-11-2008, 09:17
I've got to agree with Mr Beechy - I saw the Flaming Lips a couple of years ago at (I think the 02) Harewood House. Absolutely brilliant - I'd recommend them to anyone