PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully with this the loudness war will be over

Steve Toy
20-10-2008, 12:12
http://www.turnmeup.org/index.shtml

One for the Links Box I think Rob.

This is a brilliant idea it informs listeners that a quiet recording is in fact better and is only in need of more volume.

Filterlab
23-10-2008, 11:13
Good one Steve, after all that's what the volume dial is for. ;)

Hozepipe
23-10-2008, 18:35
This is a very good idea. I recently got the latest Ben Folds album - double gatefold with a label telling you this is 180g vinyl. Nice wide cutting etc. Great except the signal that's been cut sounds like an MP3 download that's been put through guitar compressor pedal. It's abysmal. Really cheezed me off it did. I mean did they think us audiophile anorkas wouldn't notice?

anthonyTD
25-10-2008, 19:57
This is a very good idea. I recently got the latest Ben Folds album - double gatefold with a label telling you this is 180g vinyl. Nice wide cutting etc. Great except the signal that's been cut sounds like an MP3 download that's been put through guitar compressor pedal. It's abysmal. Really cheezed me off it did. I mean did they think us audiophile anorkas wouldn't notice?
hi hozepipe,
a bit off topic, but i have just realised, your only going to be able post on here untill the sun comes out, then you'l be banned!!!:lolsign:
just kidding mate, did you get your cartridge sorted after?
anthony,TD...:gig:

Hozepipe
26-10-2008, 18:13
:lolsign:

Yes, sort of, thanks for the advice. The 440ML has the same tip and canteliver as an AT OC9ML, which I happen to have:)

So I put that back on and lo and behold much of the HF grunge went. I forgot how well this cart tracks! Looking forward to getting the 440ML, though it's actually called an "MLa" now. Some sites say that it's not the same as AT have changed the spec, other say its better. We'll see! I'm hoping it'll take a bit of pressure off my phono stage too, but would still like to hear a good one.

s

Marco
26-10-2008, 18:19
MM cartridges are for pee-soaked weenie boys, and DJs... Hehe ;)

Marco.

Hozepipe
26-10-2008, 18:31
But Marco I AM a pee-soaked anorak! Bad hair and halitosis too :lol:

I'm actually quite excited about getting this cart, esp as it's only 80 quid. Anthony is not the first to recommend a MM to me. Arthur K from Pink Triangle/Funk Firm once told me that MCs are rubbish (can't quite remember what he said maybe not that exactly) and that the 'air' and 'space' you often hear with MCs is just distortion due to the coils vibrating. Best cart he'd ever heard was a Technics MM, can't remember the model but it was rare.

Marco
26-10-2008, 19:17
LOL. That doesn't seem to stop him using MCs in his demonstrations at shows, though! ;)

Joking aside, I know exactly what Anthony and he are getting at, but as usual with hi-fi it's not quite as simple as that. MMs also have their limitations. The fact is though there are more decent MCs on the market than MMs, but get a really good MM and it can be pretty special.

Marco.

Hozepipe
26-10-2008, 19:25
I had a Shure V15 MKV a few years ago, definitely not special! Dull as ditchwater. I went back to MCs after that.