PDA

View Full Version : I've got an idea!

ursus262
18-07-2011, 21:59
Well, several ideas actually.

Following on from the thread that became a sticky about an ad that was removed, it solidified my thinking about further improving the bonds between us, and I wonder if Marco could consider having a section of the forum whereby people can organise social events or local gatherings.

Another thought is that we could have a map, showing approximately where we are based.

Finally, I've just realised something. Isn't there a section of the forum where suggestions for improvements can be placed? Because if there is, then I've mis-posted.

Anyway, might be worthy of consideration.

Dave :grouphug:

The Grand Wazoo
18-07-2011, 22:07
Isn't there a section of the forum where suggestions for improvements can be placed? Because if there is, then I've mis-posted.

Moved to Critic's Corner!

ursus262
19-07-2011, 16:10
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
19-07-2011, 16:15
There should be a separate section for Bake-Offs and bake off shows, and each Bake-Off thread should be stickied until it has happened.

At the moment they just disappear down the post list and people don't know if they are still on or what the hell is happening.

Plus a room for them will encourage more people to attend or to propose one.

Remember a Bake-Off can just be a music event or even just a social gathering amongst hi-fi nerds.

Beechwoods
19-07-2011, 16:40
We're having some discussions offline. Watch this space :)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
20-07-2011, 09:11
We're having some discussions offline. Watch this space :)

Well!?

worthingpagan
20-07-2011, 10:07
not sure if i'd really like to meet more people like me :lol:

Beechwoods
20-07-2011, 13:19
Well!?

OK, I'm really not in favour of setting up a sub-forum just to cover Bake-Off's, I don't think there'd be enough activity in there to justify it. Fewer rooms is also best as far as Users knowing where to post is concerned.

What I do think would be to have a centrally maintained Sticky in Blank Canvas in which a summary of Bake-Offs / Meets could be kept. Each Bake-off or Meet would obviously have it's own thread, wherever on the forum, and a link to that thread would be included in the Summary thread. The summary thread would be organised so that Meets / Bake-offs would be listed in order with Most Recent at the top. This Summary would be maintained by us (aka the Forum Leaders).

Bake Off / Meet organisers would be responsible for letting one of the Forum Leaders (um, Mods :rolleyes:) know so they could update the Summary thread. We'd obviously also look out for any Meets / Bakeoffs and add them as and when.

Still thinking about the logistics of the Map idea. Conscious that Lenco-Heaven have already done it. It's a neat idea but a hack to get it done.

ursus262
21-07-2011, 17:12

Beechwoods
21-07-2011, 17:24
You keep them coming David. Not every idea will necessarily get implemented but plenty do.

ursus262
21-07-2011, 21:31

Thing Fish
21-07-2011, 22:15
I'm taking my ball and going home...:confused:

The Grand Wazoo
21-07-2011, 22:48
So the answer is "no" then.

If I get any more suggestions for improvements, I know what I'll have to do... keep them to myself :brickwall:

David,
I don't know how you can draw such a negative conclusion from Nick's reply to you.
We've proposed a way to show all the 'Bake-Off' events in one place, in reverse chronological order so that the most current ones are at the top of the list.

We've also looked at your suggestion for providing a map of member's locations. We're discussing the subject to try to decide whether we can do the idea justice. However, to implement it will take some considerable investment in time. None of us are paid for what we do here, you know.

Just out of interest, & to swiftly put the boot on the other foot for a moment, could you offer your time to administer this facility, should we decide to go ahead?

Beechwoods
22-07-2011, 05:53
whatever

:stalks: I won't rise to the provocation, but that post is worth the bump. Are you alright David? There's no point burning bridges.

ursus262
22-07-2011, 06:47
My apologies if I was provocative, as it wasn't my intention to do that. i interpreted the response in a negative way which left me feeling a bit put-out.

Of course I would be happy to administer such a facility, as I do have the time go give to this.

I am always happy to contribute to the community, which is why I suggested such a meeting and social meet section in the first place.

It would be great to meet other members, even if it is just a pint in the pub.

Dave

Marco
22-07-2011, 08:01
My apologies if I was provocative, as it wasn't my intention to do that. i interpreted the response in a negative way which left me feeling a bit put-out.

You were rather disrespectful to Nick, but apologies accepted, Dave.

Please remember in future, that whilst we welcome and will always listen to suggestions from our members, as to how to make AoS an even better place, we are under no obligation whatsoever to act on them.

We will do so, only *if* we consider suggestions are viable. Therefore (and this applies to everyone), if your suggestion isn't implemented, then please gracefully accept our decision and leave it at that. Petulant outbursts, when folk don't get what they want right away, are unacceptable.

I appreciate your willingness to help develop our community, and will now leave other members of the team to facilitate your kind offer :)

Marco.

nat8808
22-07-2011, 13:09
When a member of the Saab owners club, they had a booklet of members who were willing to help other members with letters after their address saying whether they'd give advice over the phone or welcome people around for a chat or will come out and give mechanical advice...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
22-07-2011, 13:18
Well can you / someone pull my bake-off thread back from the wilderness it wandered off into as it is only about two weeks to go now.

Marco
22-07-2011, 13:21
Done - it's now a sticky! :)

Marco.

Beechwoods
24-07-2011, 16:21
Central Meet and Bake-Off Register now up at http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12486

It's a bit thin at the moment but will be extended as events are organised going forward.

worthingpagan
11-08-2011, 00:19

That seems like a damn good idea, i'll back it :lol: