PDA

View Full Version : Starting with a Technics SL-1210

Yoga
12-07-2011, 13:31
There's loads of experience and help here in AoS on the Technics, Ross. Just ask and we can guide you through any level of upgrade you care for. The base deck is fine, in modded form it turns into a giant killer.

As a starting point, how much could one achieve with £750 (second hand 1210, plus mods)? :¬)

MartinT
12-07-2011, 14:04
As a starting point, how much could one achieve with £750 (second hand 1210, plus mods)? :¬)

Ok, whether you want to keep the arm is critical to this. The really important upgrades are the external power supply and bearing. Assuming you keep the arm, which is not too shabby and will run MM cartridges perfectly happily, then a decent used deck might cost £150-200. The PSU will cost you £300 or so, leaving £250-300. That will not get you a Mike New bearing, so you could go for one of the lesser bearings (e.g. the Vantage Audio one), or save a little more and then go for the MN.

You will then have a very good basis for whichever direction you want to take it. You could certainly, at that point, consider arm options. or just enjoy the music :)

Yoga
12-07-2011, 15:08
Ok, whether you want to keep the arm is critical to this. The really important upgrades are the external power supply and bearing. Assuming you keep the arm, which is not too shabby and will run MM cartridges perfectly happily, then a decent used deck might cost £150-200. The PSU will cost you £300 or so, leaving £250-300. That will not get you a Mike New bearing, so you could go for one of the lesser bearings (e.g. the Vantage Audio one), or save a little more and then go for the MN.

You will then have a very good basis for whichever direction you want to take it. You could certainly, at that point, consider arm options. or just enjoy the music :)

Thanks Martin. It would depend on how critical the arm was, i.e. if a better arm outweighs the other updates you mentioned. How much are well considered arms, would pushing to £1000 complete the set?

MartinT
12-07-2011, 21:09
You might just be able to squeeze the MN bearing in, which would be the most important next step. That leaves little for the arm: a Rega certainly, or (better) a used Jelco SA-250ST.

I'll leave it to others to disagree or present a different hierarchy, but for me you could do worse than:
Deck > PSU > MN Bearing > Good Used Arm or
Deck > PSU > Vantage Bearing > Jelco SA-250ST

I would prefer the former.

Yoga
12-07-2011, 21:13
You might just be able to squeeze the MN bearing in, which would be the most important next step. That leaves little for the arm: a Rega certainly, or (better) a used Jelco SA-250ST.

I'll leave it to others to disagree or present a different hierarchy, but for me you could do worse than:
Deck > PSU > MN Bearing > Good Used Arm or
Deck > PSU > Vantage Bearing > Jelco SA-250ST

I would prefer the former.

Thank you for the recommendations, much appreciated :¬)

Marco
12-07-2011, 21:18
Don't forget that the mat and feet (truly the absolute WORST things on a stock Techy) need replacing immediately before anything else, so you must factor in the cost of, say, an Achromat or Blue Horizon, and a set of Isonoes.

After that's done, you can think about PSUs, arms, etc.... ;)

Marco.

Stratmangler
12-07-2011, 21:26
Don't forget that the mat and feet (truly the absolute WORST things on a stock Techy) need replacing immediately before anything else, so you must factor in the cost of, say, an Achromat or Blue Horizon, and a set of Isonoes.

After that's done, you can think about PSUs, arms, etc.... ;)

Marco.

Totally agree on the feet - I've took 'em off and currently use sorbethane feet.
The original ones are truly horrible, and do nothing except make the deck sound poor.
I'll get some Isonoes when I've got some spare cash.

As for mat - I've got a deflex one on at the moment - I'll get one of the cork ones Ray (Jantheman) uses and give that a whirl sometime soon.
I like cork mats :)

MartinT
12-07-2011, 21:32
I agree that Isonoes and an Achromat or Blue Horizon mat are superb, however I was thinking that you could make do with pocket change and sort them out as you go.

Marco
12-07-2011, 21:45
Yup, but a quality mat and support feet, whatever way you cut it, are still going to lop the best part of £200 off of the budget Ross has :)

Marco.

Alex_UK
12-07-2011, 21:51
I mentioned the feet and mat in the original thread before it was split - and the other thing Ross needs to consider before he even gets a sound out of his new deck - a Cartridge!

MartinT
12-07-2011, 21:55
I mentioned the feet and mat in the original thread before it was split - and the other thing Ross needs to consider before he even gets a sound out of his new deck - a Cartridge!

Sorry Alex, I missed that one :doh:

Stratmangler
12-07-2011, 21:56

Just an ever so slightly understated requirement that - the cartridge.
I think we're all assuming that Ross has vinyl to play too - unlike someone here who went back to it all arse about face - I've got this here record, now suggest to me a TT upon which to play it :D ;)

Marco
12-07-2011, 21:59
Some second-hand Techies may well come with a cartridge - stranger things have been known! ;)

Marco.

Yoga
12-07-2011, 22:12
Goodness, who would have thought that feet would make a difference! I would have assumed that as long as they were of a consistent and solid height during play, it would be fine. Are the stock feet insecure, prone to vibrations?

My father has a nice vinyl collection, of which he never listens to, of which I can raid. Plus he has good taste in music :¬)

So in short; second hand deck, nice mat, sneakers, arm, cartridge, PSU and bearing, and I could get some music magic for about £1,200?

MartinT
13-07-2011, 05:52
So in short; second hand deck, nice mat, sneakers, arm, cartridge, PSU and bearing, and I could get some music magic for about £1,200?

You will have magic for that :)

Do you have a phono amp, is the next question?

Alex_UK
13-07-2011, 06:42
£1,200 should get you a big way there I reckon. I think if it were me, I would probably not charge in and do it all at once - very difficult to appreciate the subtle differences of each change, otherwise?

Oh, and you forgot one vital extra - "Do you wan't a bag on your head?" :lol:

The Grand Wazoo
13-07-2011, 06:51

TxQqWSnsHoA

MartinT
13-07-2011, 07:07
Always a classic :)

The Vinyl Adventure
13-07-2011, 08:38
£1200 ... Blimey!
This techie lark is a very slippery slope mate ... Belive me! I got £2k deep before I decided to sell up ...
I'm happier now without the temptation of a million and 4 upgrades!

The techie does have a "sound" you might be worth while living with before you go £1200 deep ...
I'd happily loan you a ortophon 2m red for a while I you need a cart to get you going ... It's not the be all and end all but it should reveal somewhat of the character of a stock 1210

I'm going to sound a bit bitter at having to sell my techie here ... But I actually prefer my elastic band driven turn table ... It has a character that I like ... In hindsight the techie was a bit too ... Erm ... Digital for my liking ... The joy of analogue for me is the colouration ... The techie didn't have much of that really ...

Where is that hiding behind the sofa emoticon?

Marco
13-07-2011, 08:58
I'm going to sound a bit bitter at having to sell my techie here ... But I actually prefer my elastic band driven turn table ... It has a character that I like ... In hindsight the techie was a bit too ... Erm ... Digital for my liking ... The joy of analogue for me is the colouration ... The techie didn't have much of that really ...

Where is that hiding behind the sofa emoticon?

Lol - you don't need it, dude, as what you've written is simply the truth, and also a big compliment to the Techy, for those of us who use one precisely for its lack of coloration!

However, as the drive system is so accurate and lacking in 'character' (what you would term as being "too digital"), the choice of arm and cartridge go a long way towards achieving the sound you want; hence why I use an SPU cartridge and Jelco tonearm, both of which add 'soul' to the presentation of the Techy, and combined with the accuracy of the drive system, make for musical magic.... ;)

It's all about combining the right 'flavours' - just like you do when following a recipe for a meal.

You'll need to hear my Techy one day, and judge for yourself. Bland it is not :cool:

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
13-07-2011, 09:20
I'm sure it's wonderful Marco .. But at what cost?
I think my techie was probably technically "better" it certainly ha more sparkle ... My current tt just has more "tune" ...

I wouldn't discourage the techie route ... But haven got in the deep end a bit with it I personally think there is more joy to be had from something that ultimately isn't a bit of a money pit ...

It's really the talk of Ross jumping in at the deep end (with encouragement from you lot) that worries me ... I lost money doing it when I found I couldn't maintain the upgrade path I wanted to be able to achive ...

I'd relate it a little to some of these horror stories you hear of folk getting wrapped up in the naim/linn upgrade paths and loosing thier wives/homes ... The techie is an addictive path ...

As I said I'd never say "don't do it" more "concider your options before diving in"

I get more joy from £300 of Townsend/rega/Phillps than £2k of techie/etc an most of that is because I no longer feel I am trying to get more out of my tt of choice ... I'm just enjoying what I have ...
Enjoying what you have with a techie is hard when there are so many people here with much deeper pockets going on about the latest and greatest £250 headshell that "scrapes the last finest bit of detail out of your chosen tonearm/cart"

I know this is bit of a u-turn of opinion from someone who feels like they have been there got the t-shirt but is now(finally) happy to have cone out the other side!

MartinT
13-07-2011, 09:24
The joy of analogue for me is the colouration ... The techie didn't have much of that really ...

I see that as a good thing! My deck has precious little colouration and it pleases me as I don't want warmth or any such non-neutral quality.

To be honest, Hamish, your deck was only some way down the upgrade path and there was plenty more to be had. Some of the biggest jumps in sound quality I've had have been the most recent ones.

Yoga
13-07-2011, 09:28
You will have magic for that :)

Do you have a phono amp, is the next question?

No, but my Denon AV amp has that capability (I think), which I would use to start with.

Recommendations here would also be appreciated.

£1,200 should get you a big way there I reckon. I think if it were me, I would probably not charge in and do it all at once - very difficult to appreciate the subtle differences of each change, otherwise?

I'd rather get it set-up for magic, and go from there :¬)

TxQqWSnsHoA

Fantastic!

The techie does have a "sound" you might be worth while living with before you go £1200 deep ...

I do plan on asking (finding, first) someone in my local(ish) area who has a TT, preferably 1210 (or thereabouts) before taking the plunge. Getting some info together first to get an idea of costs, nothing final yet :¬)

The Vinyl Adventure
13-07-2011, 09:30
To be honest, Hamish, your deck was only some way down the upgrade path and there was plenty more to be had. Some of the biggest jumps in sound quality I've had have been the most recent ones.

which only goes to high light my point ... mine was £2000 worth ... that wouldnt even get me your choice of tonearm ... ...

MartinT
13-07-2011, 09:32
that wouldnt even get me your choice of tonearm ... ...

:lol:

The Vinyl Adventure
13-07-2011, 09:33
I do plan on asking (finding, first) someone in my local(ish) area who has a TT, preferably 1210 (or thereabouts) before taking the plunge. Getting some info together first to get an idea of costs, nothing final yet :¬)

If you come and get it you can borrow my turn table phono stage and all my cartridges
If you can find a stock techie you can then swap and chnge out any of my carts on to it and see the difference ... if you like the techie you can then borrow my 2m red until you feel an upgrade is necessary

Cliff
13-07-2011, 09:39
I will just jump in here to say that, after having owned some very expensive TTs (both belt and idler) and cartridges, I think the techy route is valid and worthwhile and satisfying and does not necessarily have to be a money pit.

When I read here about the seemingly endless array of upgrade paths and items, and see the costs of many of these, I admit that I do have my doubts about this undertaking. But when I listen to my still modestly modified deck coming in at only about $1,000 total(minus cartridge), I realize that it is not necessary to get fully caught up in the Forum Frenzy of mods.

Resist the proverbial audiophile temptation to go overboard, and just take it slow.
I would suggest getting footers and stock tonearm rewired along with cartridge flavor of choice.
Next mats and headshell.
See what you think at that point before jumping in to the deep end.

It is a surprisingly good deck that will allow your good records to sound very good and really show up the not so good ones--but isn't that how a high fidelity piece of gear ought to perform?

Yoga
13-07-2011, 09:48
Thanks Cliff and Hamish for the opinion and offer, respectively :¬)

Marco
13-07-2011, 09:57
I'm sure it's wonderful Marco .. But at what cost?
I think my techie was probably technically "better" it certainly ha more sparkle ... My current tt just has more "tune" ...

I wouldn't discourage the techie route ... But haven got in the deep end a bit with it I personally think there is more joy to be had from something that ultimately isn't a bit of a money pit ...

It's really the talk of Ross jumping in at the deep end (with encouragement from you lot) that worries me ... I lost money doing it when I found I couldn't maintain the upgrade path I wanted to be able to achive ...

I'd relate it a little to some of these horror stories you hear of folk getting wrapped up in the naim/linn upgrade paths and loosing thier wives/homes ... The techie is an addictive path ...

As I said I'd never say "don't do it" more "concider your options before diving in"

I get more joy from £300 of Townsend/rega/Phillps than £2k of techie/etc an most of that is because I no longer feel I am trying to get more out of my tt of choice ... I'm just enjoying what I have ...
Enjoying what you have with a techie is hard when there are so many people here with much deeper pockets going on about the latest and greatest £250 headshell that "scrapes the last finest bit of detail out of your chosen tonearm/cart"

I know this is bit of a u-turn of opinion from someone who feels like they have been there got the t-shirt but is now(finally) happy to have cone out the other side!

There's nothing wrong with any of that, Hamish. It is simply the result of your experience, and I'm pleased that you're happier now with your T/T than ever :)

Whether Ross would fall into the same 'trap' as you did, and feel compelled to continually compete with others with more money to spend on their T/Ts, or whether he could quite happily spend £1200 (or whatever his budget was) on an upgraded Techy, and be done with it at that point, is something only Ross could attempt to answer.

I certainly didn't get to where I am now with my Techy overnight - what I currently have is the culmination of three years of slowly upgrading, during which time I was patient and simply enjoyed what I had, without worrying one jot about who may have had a better T/T than me! ;)

I guess it comes down to self-discipline, and having the patience to see through an upgrade path, step by step, until you've achieved your goals, whatever those may be, and however long it takes to get there.

To date, I've spent £3.5k on my Techy, but would happily put it up against turntables costing many times more. Every time I spin tunes on it, it puts a huge grin on my face. I was up until 3am this morning playing records! I love it to bits and doubt that I will ever sell it.

So what price is total contentment and satisfaction worth?

You may have arrived at your 'happy place' by spending considerably less, but if you want to highlight a truly worrying upgrade path, then the road to 'ultimate nirvana' with a new LP12 is fraught with considerably more potential for financial ruin, when one needs to spend around £15k in order to get there, the Linn way!! :mental:

That kind of puts things into perspective, as far as a 'money pit' goes!

Marco.

Jac Hawk
13-07-2011, 10:04
Just an ever so slightly understated requirement that - the cartridge.
I think we're all assuming that Ross has vinyl to play too - unlike someone here who went back to it all arse about face - I've got this here record, now suggest to me a TT upon which to play it :D ;)

That would have been me Chris, but to be honest you would look equally stupid after spending upwards of £1k on a TT and having nowt to play on it, think of it you spend a small fortune on a TT, then a mate asks "what's it sound like" and you reply "dunno can't afford any LP's yet". all i spent was a tenner on an LP then slowly eased my way back into it;)

Macca
13-07-2011, 12:12
Well I've got no intention of spending any more on my SL1200 that has no mods at all except a white top plinth and some monster cable on the tonearm lead out phonos.

Which is not to say that I never will.;)

The SL1200 has replaced a Systemdek IIxe which in todays money would be a £1000 belt drive TT - using the same cartridge there is very little to seperate them except that the Sl1200 has deeper, more solid bass and overall sounds more confident and the Systemdek had maybe a little more drama and better stereo imaging.

For someone who has only known digital reproduction and wants to get into vinyl then a used 1200/1210 would be my wholehearted recommendation, at around £200 for good condition, used example they simply cannot be faulted.

Just to stress - with decent cartridge, properly 'tuned in' there is absolutely no need to replace anything on this deck to get it sounding excellent. The upgrades are just a great option to have for the future.

Yoga
13-07-2011, 12:28
Thanks Martin. Perhaps, as Alex mentioned, half the fun is the slow progression, rather than opting for a full set of upgrades at once.

Edit: what do you guys think of the Rega RP3 (or equivalents)?

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/RP3.htm

Macca
13-07-2011, 12:32
Thanks Martin. Perhaps, as Alex mentioned, half the fun is the slow progression, rather than opting for a full set of upgrades at once.

Yes you want to do it a bit at a time to really appreciate the benefit.

I'd also suggest that the first upgrade you make would be to get a Record Cleaning Machine rather than change anything on the deck. The SQ improvement they make is fantastic and opens up the whole world of cheap used records. You will not want to go back to digital:)

Yoga
13-07-2011, 12:36
Yes you want to do it a bit at a time to really appreciate the benefit.

I'd also suggest that the first upgrade you make would be to get a Record Cleaning Machine rather than change anything on the deck. The SQ improvement they make is fantastic and opens up the whole world of cheap used records. You will not want to go back to digital:)

Thanks. Feet, mat and cleaner would be first on the list then :¬)

Will consider this for a while and keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

colinB
13-07-2011, 13:12
I agree these things sound great from the off but the biggest jump in quality for me was getting a decent headshell and good mm cart.

The Vinyl Adventure
13-07-2011, 17:17
Someone on here is selling a townshend rock ... Based on my Avalon experience, that might be an option ... Then get Hifi-dave to sell you a rega 301 and you can be just like me (but a bit better)

Seriously though, that new rega would probably be a nice buy and forget tt

The Vinyl Adventure
13-07-2011, 17:18
Colin! Sort out that powers supply ... Really, you will love it!

colinB
13-07-2011, 17:28
Shameful isnt it. Been dithering for two years now.

Cliff
20-07-2011, 18:24
"I will just jump in here to say that, after having owned some very expensive TTs (both belt and idler) and cartridges, I think the techy route is valid and worthwhile and satisfying..."

For the sake of my conscience and the possible benefit of the OP, I want to repudiate my previous comments quoted above and any similar ones made here before by me.

I am bailing on the Technics experiment: It just ain't musical;my lowly Oppo BDP 83SE digital deck is more musical and more enjoyable overall, which is a bummer. I wanted the Techy to work, but it doesn't and I would not recommend it to any serious music lover or audiophile, and I certainly am not putting anymore money into it. Instead of trying to cobble together a music making machine from disparate and dubious bits and parts on my own, I am laying out my dough for the masterful work of an artist and expert in the field.

I am going with what I have been thinking about for over a year now: the Well-Tempered Amadeus.

Look forward to analog smoking digital again like it used to and like it ought to.

Later Lads.

Marco
20-07-2011, 20:21
Hi Cliff,

I am bailing on the Technics experiment: It just ain't musical;my lowly Oppo BDP 83SE digital deck is more musical and more enjoyable overall, which is a bummer. I wanted the Techy to work, but it doesn't and I would not recommend it to any serious music lover or audiophile....

I'm sorry that the Techy didn't work out for you (for whatever reason), and you obviously heard what you heard, but perhaps the bit in bold is a bit strong and smacks largely of frustration at your disappointing experience?

If not, then it's more than a little insulting to many others and myself who use (heavily-modified) Techies, consider them amongst the best turntables we've ever heard, and also ourselves as 'serious music lovers'! ;)

Marco.

Marco
20-07-2011, 20:26
Further....

I hadn't read your previous post before (shown below), until just now. Why the complete volte face? :scratch:

Most puzzling! An explanation would help :confused:

I will just jump in here to say that, after having owned some very expensive TTs (both belt and idler) and cartridges, I think the techy route is valid and worthwhile and satisfying and does not necessarily have to be a money pit.

When I read here about the seemingly endless array of upgrade paths and items, and see the costs of many of these, I admit that I do have my doubts about this undertaking. But when I listen to my still modestly modified deck coming in at only about $1,000 total(minus cartridge), I realize that it is not necessary to get fully caught up in the Forum Frenzy of mods.

Resist the proverbial audiophile temptation to go overboard, and just take it slow.
I would suggest getting footers and stock tonearm rewired along with cartridge flavor of choice.
Next mats and headshell.
See what you think at that point before jumping in to the deep end.

It is a surprisingly good deck that will allow your good records to sound very good and really show up the not so good ones--but isn't that how a high fidelity piece of gear ought to perform?

Marco.

Cliff
20-07-2011, 21:48
Hi Marco,
Not meant to be insulting to anyone, and is obviously just one guy's opinion, but that is where I have to come down after my admittedly limited experience with modding the Techy: I would not recommend it as I stated.

For roughly the price of a moderately modified Technics 1200 series, I would argue that a comparably priced or maybe slightly higher priced Rega, Nottingham, Well-Tempered, etc. would be the better, more musical and a more certain, way to go.

I wanted my Technics experiment to work for me, thus I engaged in very understandable and often employed wishful thinking at times. But after my latest round of modest mods to the deck and my phono chain, when I put in a very average CD into my Oppo, I was just struck with a moment of clarity which said to me " the Oppo is more musical than even my better records on the Techy".

So I have decided to bite the bullet, pony(?) up the money, and go with what I am confident will be the eminently musical WT Amadeus.

I think the biggest problem with the Technics is the arm and it's attatchment to the table. And i was not confident in getting a Jelco and then trying to find an arm mount solution available in the US, and then doing it myself, etc.

What you and some others have done and are doing is different and probably much better than what I experienced, but still you even admit, elsewhere I believe, that the Techy in any guise is not an inherently warm or musical deck, but you are flavoring yours with an SPU, etc. And I am sure it is great.

But for me, and I bet for a lot of others, an inherently musical, and expertly thought out ,arm and table combo is probably a better option.

Peace and enjoy your music!:)

Marco
21-07-2011, 07:58
Hi Cliff,

No problem. However it's best just to say that unfortunately the Techy didn't work out for you, pure and simple, rather than:

I would not recommend it to any serious music lover or audiophile....

...which implies that others who use Techies, modded or otherwise, and enjoy them very much, aren't "serious" music lovers or audiophiles, which I'm sure you'll agree is unfair and likely very untrue.

Just say it wasn't to your tastes, which is fine, and leave it at that :)

What you and some others have done and are doing is different and probably much better than what I experienced, but still you even admit, elsewhere I believe, that the Techy in any guise is not an inherently warm or musical deck, but you are flavoring yours with an SPU, etc.

That's not quite what I said. If you're looking for a warm sound from vinyl, then a Techy (in any incarnation) will not be for you. It is much too neutral sounding for that. And of course, the highly subjective term "musical" means very different things, to different people.

"Musical" for me, in reference to a turntable, is simply that which replicates, as close as possible, the sound of the original recording on the record. Quite simply, there is nothing more 'musical' than the sound of the music itself.

I don't want to 'hear' the turntable (and its inherent colorations), only the music recorded in the record grooves, as unsullied as possible. That is the very essence of what the term 'high-fidelity' stands for. In this case, fidelity to the sound that leaves the recording studio.

And, to my ears, my Techy does that job supremely well! :cool:

Marco.

Cliff
21-07-2011, 11:40
Frankly, Marco, you have a lot of nerve telling ME, or anyone else for that matter, which words I should use to express myself.
Is that the "British" way?
Well It don't fly with me, nor does your silly little community of lapdogs.

And I am sorry for you that you still haven't learned the meaning of "musical".
It makes this pursuit so much easier if you know what that term means.
I will suggest that it is a bit like pornography--you know it when you hear it.
Maybe one day you will.

Marco
21-07-2011, 11:48
WTF???

I wasn't telling you to do anything, Cliff; merely making a suggestion and pointing out what I considered was an unacceptable remark. I'm the owner of this site, so if I consider that something a member writes here is unacceptable, then it's my duty to address it.

As for your ignorant remark about my understanding of the word "musical"....

Well, quite simply, the most "musical" turntable is by definition that which reproduces recordings as authentically/accurately as possible (the sound that left the studio), not one which tailors that sound to comply with whatever artificial notion of "musical" you have inside your head.

And which turntable then fulfils that criterion, is down to our subjective opinions, so your opinion on the matter is no more 'right' than anyone else's!

Quite frankly, however, the tone of your last post, and the insults therein, are appalling, and if you don't apologise and remove them, I will ban you with immediate effect.

Marco.

Marco
21-07-2011, 12:08

On second thoughts, I'm not accepting that shit. How insulting... Bye, Cliff!

Marco.

nat8808
21-07-2011, 12:32
When you can buy a Pink Triangle PT1 with Helius Aureus and Ortofon MC Super 20 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pink-Triangle-Turntable-/200629082079) for only £227 then IMHO £1200 on a Techy looks a lot of money! Surely?

(Quote from Helius Designs: Aside of the 10” arms, if there is a choice of early Helius arms to covert, this is the one to have)

Especially when the arm alone sells for £200 on ebay, a PT1 done up can sell for £350 in the right place and MC 20 ~ £60... Not only is there no financial risk but you more than double your money!

You get PAID to use it!

Different if the 1210 was bought new and the upgrades done then you could claim that you only buy new.. but you're still buying a secondhand deck..

Thisis of course my humble opinion but when the difference is between a complete deck with cart that pays you £400 when you move it on and a deck you have to spend £1200 on to get it decent and then will loose money in the depreciation of the new upgrades.. I know which I would choose.

Unless of course I'm mistaken and a 1210 can be sold on at a higher price than the sum of its upgraded parts?

Just think you'd better make sure it definately is the sound you want before embarking up any expensive tree in case it's the wrong one. PT will give you neutrality but obviously not the bass.

Disclaimer: I've only heard one non-DJ 1210 with Funk Firm F.XR arm and Denon 103 through a system I didn't know - and it didn't blow my mind.

nat8808
21-07-2011, 12:36
On second thoughts, I'm not accepting that shit. How insulting... Bye, Cliff!

Marco.

Oops.. Think I've walked into this thread at the wrong time!

MartinT
21-07-2011, 12:44
(Quote from Helius Designs: Aside of the 10” arms, if there is a choice of early Helius arms to covert, this is the one to have)

Just to offer a balancing comment: I owned a Helius Aureus arm. It was the worst piece of badly engineered tat it was my unfortunate luck to pay hard-earned cash for. The bearing housing was so pathetic that no amount of adjustment would stop the bastard thing from suffering stiction half way across an LP. I sold it on in disgust.

I rarely use the word 'junk' without thinking it through carefully, but that arm truly was junk.

nat8808
21-07-2011, 13:05
Just to offer a balancing comment: I owned a Helius Aureus arm. It was the worst piece of badly engineered tat it was my unfortunate luck to pay hard-earned cash for. The bearing housing was so pathetic that no amount of adjustment would stop the bastard thing from suffering stiction half way across an LP. I sold it on in disgust.

I rarely use the word 'junk' without thinking it through carefully, but that arm truly was junk.

Do you mean this one: http://www.heliusdesigns.co.uk/_wp_generated/wp78998c9a_0f.jpg

or this one: http://www.heliusdesigns.co.uk/_wp_generated/wpf8e3d5d7_0f.jpg

I've had the latter before and it did come across as a basic arm - still, i got £140 for it or so on Ebay. The one on that PT was the former.

I'm lucky enough to have come to the world hifi when all this is second hand and there's always someone willing to try it out too for the price I paid, whether I liked it or not.

colinB
21-07-2011, 13:24
Frankly, Marco, you have a lot of nerve telling ME, or anyone else for that matter, which words I should use to express myself.
Is that the "British" way?

And I am sorry for you that you still haven't learned the meaning of "musical".
It makes this pursuit so much easier if you know what that term means.
I will suggest that it is a bit like pornography--you know it when you hear it.
Maybe one day you will.

I feel the need to respond to this remark. Woof Woof!

Marco
21-07-2011, 13:24
Hi Nat,

When you can buy a Pink Triangle PT1 with Helius Aureus and Ortofon MC Super 20 (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pink-Triangle-Turntable-/200629082079) for only £227 then IMHO £1200 on a Techy looks a lot of money! Surely?

Perhaps, but it depends what you're after - there are so many variables. What if to the ears of the person who owns a £1200 Techy, it sonically outperforms other T/Ts they've heard at double that price or more?

What would be its perceived 'value', then? Value isn't something solely determined via monetary criteria ;)

What also if you want the ease of set-up and convenience of a direct-drive T/T, and that this is even more important to you than achieving absolutely the best sound quality?

Like I said, it all depends what you're after. These days, I change my actual kit very rarely. What I do is (judiciously) mod it to death, and then live with it, because by the time I've finished with it, improving on it significantly, sonically, would take many thousands of pounds....

Especially when the arm alone sells for £200 on ebay, a PT1 done up can sell for £350 in the right place and MC 20 ~ £60... Not only is there no financial risk but you more than double your money!

You get PAID to use it!

Lol! :lol:

I suspect you look at owning audio equipment rather differently from me. I almost NEVER buy equipment with a view to how much its resale value would be, quite simply because if it's good enough, I'll be keeping it for many years, enjoying music with it, and by which time it'll have more than paid for itself! :eyebrows:

These days I buy equipment purely and simply with a view of what is the best I can afford (or am willing to spend), and then I simply sit back and enjoy my purchases (and the music they make) for many years. Their resale value, therefore, is almost of no interest to me.

YMMV.

Just think you'd better make sure it definately is the sound you want before embarking up any expensive tree in case it's the wrong one.

That's a very good point, and one worth noting by anyone considering going down the modified Techy route. I would only advise spending serious money on one if you see it as being your 'final turntable'.

That was certainly the goal when I embarked on my Techy journey, and I suspect also Martin's. If I ever sold my T/T, no way would I ever get back what I've spent on it, but then I have almost no intention of ever selling it.

Marco.

Marco
21-07-2011, 13:25
I feel the need to respond to this remark. Woof Woof!

Cheeky f*cker, wasn't he? I'm afraid that we don't tolerate such behaviour here.

Marco.

kininigin
21-07-2011, 14:13
i thought the whole point with taking the modded technics route,is that you upgrade with what you can afford in stages.You don't have to splash £1200 or what ever straight away.

There are plenty of options now,fairly cheap or fairly expensive and for me personally im happy with what i have got so far and don't really care if someone has the biggest,baddest latest upgrade that i cannot afford.

Isn't it all relative anyway? £1200 to one person is alot ,to the next,chicken feed.

MartinT
21-07-2011, 14:54
Do you mean this one

It was the top photo - the true Aureus 1.

Marco
21-07-2011, 14:58
i thought the whole point with taking the modded technics route,is that you upgrade with what you can afford in stages.You don't have to splash £1200 or what ever straight away.

Indeed; it's taken me over three years to get to where I am now with my Techy :)

However, from the point of me buying a brand new, fully KAB-modified SL-1210 MK5G, over three years ago (after carrying out much research on the SL-1200 and its potential for becoming a 'serious' turntable), my goal, if it worked out, was to step by step transform it into a world-class T/T.

I have now, with total satisfaction, achieved my goal - as indeed have others who've followed a similar path... I now own a £3.5k T/T that sounds as good as T/Ts on the market which cost three times that amount. SPPV at its best... Nice one! :cool:

Marco.

colinB
21-07-2011, 15:04
My bog standard Technics sounded better than my £1000 Arcam cd player so i dont have a problem throwing a bit of money at it now and again. I dont care about resale value either because its not for selling.

Marco
21-07-2011, 15:14
Maximising the resale value of equipment is really only of benefit/relevance to perennial box-swappers, eBay addicts, or collectors of vintage hi-fi, for financial investment.

I am none of those things.

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
21-07-2011, 19:08
mmmm..... I know the problem with spending money on the techie, i'm debating buying a SR7 from Paul Heynes with lots of upgrad goodies :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

nat8808
21-07-2011, 21:41
It was the top photo - the true Aureus 1.

Ah.. interesting. May put it nearer the bottom of my imaginary 'try out' list then.

nat8808
21-07-2011, 21:45
Hi Nat,

Perhaps, but it depends what you're after - there are so many variables. What if to the ears of the person who owns a £1200 Techy, it sonically outperforms other T/Ts they've heard at double that price or more?

What would be its perceived 'value', then? Value isn't something solely determined via monetary criteria ;)

What also if you want the ease of set-up and convenience of a direct-drive T/T, and that this is even more important to you than achieving absolutely the best sound quality?

Like I said, it all depends what you're after. These days, I change my actual kit very rarely. What I do is (judiciously) mod it to death, and then live with it, because by the time I've finished with it, improving on it significantly, sonically, would take many thousands of pounds....

Lol! :lol:

I suspect you look at owning audio equipment rather differently from me. I almost NEVER buy equipment with a view to how much its resale value would be, quite simply because if it's good enough, I'll be keeping it for many years, enjoying music with it, and by which time it'll have more than paid for itself! :eyebrows:

These days I buy equipment purely and simply with a view of what is the best I can afford (or am willing to spend), and then I simply sit back and enjoy my purchases (and the music they make) for many years. Their resale value, therefore, is almost of no interest to me.

YMMV.

That's a very good point, and one worth noting by anyone considering going down the modified Techy route. I would only advise spending serious money on one if you see it as being your 'final turntable'.

That was certainly the goal when I embarked on my Techy journey, and I suspect also Martin's. If I ever sold my T/T, no way would I ever get back what I've spent on it, but then I have almost no intention of ever selling it.

Marco.

Certainly we're coming from different angles then - you probably further up the line so to speak.

I don't get to enjoy my music as much as I'd like because I'm too often swapping about and changing or having ideas about using this or that, finding them and not getting around to trying things etc .. But I enjoy that aspect of hifi too.

And I'm always thinking of re-sale value in order to justify outlays when perhaps I should be saving or fixing something on my car etc etc. Part of the box swapping mentality!

I'm sure I'll be getting to that point of sticking to one thing once the pull of trying something new looses its appeal.

Marco
21-07-2011, 21:52
You've caught the Jerry disease (nowt wrong with that, though)! ;)

Yup, my box-swapping days are over. The only things I want to add to my current system is a better tonearm and cartridge for my T/T, better SUT, and some final internal mods to my preamp (cap and resistor upgrades).

After that, it'll be a case of 'job done', and my budget for toys will also be spent on music :cool:

Marco.

Alex_UK
21-07-2011, 22:12
I love buying stuff, but mostly I leave my main system alone, and have various other systems made up from my eBay crap around the house, or otherwise called in to service when the fancy takes me. Works for me - buying cravings satisfied, and a long term system that hits the spot just for the music. :)

Paul Hynes
21-07-2011, 22:12
So you think Marco, but I will have something else for you shortly.

Paul

Marco
21-07-2011, 22:32
:eek: :interesting: :partytime: :gig: :yay:

Can't wait, brovva!!

Marco.

chris@panteg
21-07-2011, 23:15
So Cliff thinks the 1200/1210 isn't musical ?

That's interesting , you see at this moment the Wifey and i are listening to Adele's 21 on vinyl through my other Techy , theSL-QL1 and Caren is nodding her head and singing along to every track and thoroughly enjoying it i would say , but how can this be if the TT can't communicate the musical message ?

Not too keen on being referred to as a lapdog i must say , sidekick maybe :)

Marco
22-07-2011, 07:00
I think Cliff has a rather artificial notion of what "musical" means, but let's leave it there, Chris, as he no longer has a right of reply :)

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
22-07-2011, 13:47
So you think Marco, but I will have something else for you shortly.

Paul

Care to expand??

Paul Hynes
22-07-2011, 14:11
All the important supply rails on the motor board separately regulated with high performance regulators.

Paul

Marco
22-07-2011, 14:20
Oo-er, missus... That sounds a bit tasty! :eyebrows:

Keep me posted then, babby! :grouphug:

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
22-07-2011, 14:59
All the important supply rails on the motor board separately regulated with high performance regulators.

Paul

That sounds extremely tasty!!! Is this a mod we can install ourselves or something that we have to send to you??

Marco
22-07-2011, 15:02
Won't you have to swap your Timestep HE for an SR5, first, Andrew? ;)

Marco.

DSJR
22-07-2011, 15:11
My bog standard Technics sounded better than my £1000 Arcam cd player so i dont have a problem throwing a bit of money at it now and again. I dont care about resale value either because its not for selling.

Ah, but did you put the same effort into CAREFULLY siting and setting up the Arcam CD player as you no doubt did for the Techie?????

Some years ago now, I heard an FMJ integrated amp and CD player totally transform themselves with siting on a better quality rack. The difference was totally a "musical" one and I genuinely couldn't understand why. The rack was the top Something Solid one with tensioned boating-line suspension and balsa shelves. This improvement varied with the gear concerned, but the FMJ gear was transformed for the better..

Forgive me for mentioning it. I'm not telling you to ditch your techies (heaven forbid :D), but just to ask you to try isolation tweaks for the Arcam CD player if you still have it, using the Techie as a reference. You may just be able to close the gap at least as I've done with my ancient gear :)

colinB
22-07-2011, 15:25
Dave i had the Arcam on a quadraspire acrylic stand with focal pods ( the pods made the bigger difference to my ears).
My life would be easier with a pair of ADM9s and a bunch of files but what can i do , i really like the sound of the Technics.

Paul Hynes
22-07-2011, 16:47
Andrew,

There is some track chopping and a fair amount of component removal involved as well as additional cabling and the regulator installation. It is relatively complex process and, of course, it is always possible to make a costly mistake. The custom chips used on the motor board are not readily available and a replacement motor board is expensive. Because of this I am not convinced I should be offering a DIY option. I am happy to guarantee my own work but cannot guarantee the work of others whether experienced or not. This is no reflection on your abilities, rather a general comment to those who may be out of their depth with something like this.

Paul

Marco
22-07-2011, 17:06
Nice one, Paul. An A/B comparison between my current SR5, and one fitted with the above mods, would be very interesting.... ;)

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
22-07-2011, 18:00
Won't you have to swap your Timestep HE for an SR5, first, Andrew? ;)

Marco.

I'M getting the SR7 with some upgrade goodies and not the SR5 :eyebrows:
Now Paul is offering to do some mods to the PCB as well, I think this could be the next project as well for my Techie!!!!! :eyebrows::eyebrows:

Wakefield Turntables
22-07-2011, 18:01
Andrew,

There is some track chopping and a fair amount of component removal involved as well as additional cabling and the regulator installation. It is relatively complex process and, of course, it is always possible to make a costly mistake. The custom chips used on the motor board are not readily available and a replacement motor board is expensive. Because of this I am not convinced I should be offering a DIY option. I am happy to guarantee my own work but cannot guarantee the work of others whether experienced or not. This is no reflection on your abilities, rather a general comment to those who may be out of their depth with something like this.

Paul

Does this mean we send you the PCB, or the whole deck?????

Marco
22-07-2011, 20:37
I'M getting the SR7 with some upgrade goodies and not the SR5 :eyebrows:
Now Paul is offering to do some mods to the PCB as well, I think this could be the next project as well for my Techie!!!!!

Nice one, matey - I didn't know! I think I've read Paul saying somehere that, sonically, there isn't any difference between the SR5 and SR7, and that the SR7 has a different casing or something?

Anyway, at least you're getting rid of that Timestep bobbins now! :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

colinB
22-07-2011, 21:24
Isnt the 7 for computer applications?

Marco
22-07-2011, 21:36
That's the impression I was under....

Marco.

JazzBones
22-07-2011, 22:21
Nice one, matey - I didn't know! I think I've read Paul saying somehere that, sonically, there isn't any difference between the SR5 and SR7, and that the SR7 has a different casing or something?

Anyway, at least you're getting rid of that Timestep bobbins now! :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

Marco, I use a Timestep HE and I don't think it is bobbins as you put it (my embolded highlight by the way), maybe you said that as a throw away jest but you would be the first person to censor me or anyone else who made a similar remark about a Paul Hynes or Vantage PSU so why decry anyone who chooses a Timestep through possible choice or cost constraint? I'm not picking a fight here just making you aware that I am not happy or in agreement with your remark as it concerns me and those that use a TS PSU. This is when disenchantment with the whole Technics thing could take route and a project abandoned. Please be senstive to others' feelings even though they maybe at odds with yours :)

Thanks

Ron

Marco
22-07-2011, 22:25
Hi Ron,

Sorry about that. I couldn't resist having a joke with Andrew... I'll remove it if you like :)

Marco.

Paul Hynes
22-07-2011, 23:31
Andrew,

I’m afraid it’s the whole deck. I will post some photos when I have tidied my deck installation up a little. There are two 21 volt regulators bolted to the chassis and a new power inlet system that is off the motor board. I cannot do the complete installation and a full electronic check without the deck.

Marco,

The SR5 and the standard SR7 are essentially the same but the standard SR7 has a large heat-sink on the front panel, to dissipate the heat generated in the output stage with high continuous load currents, and higher power rectifiers, to allow heavy duty operation for applications with audio server motherboards. I have a new even higher power version of the SR7 (EHD), where additional external devices connected to audio servers are requiring power from the motherboard. The transformer rating is increased to 250VA and there is an additional energy storage bank of low ESR capacitors, with a new high power rectifier arrangement designed to present a symmetrical balanced load to the transformer on both output stage and error amplifier supply rails, avoiding any DC imbalance on the transformer secondaries. There is also additional noise filtering in the error amplifier supply. The regulator circuit topology remains the same as the SR5 and the standard SR7 as this is a well-proven design in a wide variety of applications. You already know the benefits of more controlled horsepower under the bonnet even with relatively low power draw equipment like the SL1200.

An AB trial will be tricky to give you as I only have the one deck here and I have not yet upgraded with Mike’s bearing and platter. I would be happy to send you my deck with all the modifications in place when I have tidied up the electronics and wiring and prepared the SR7EHD-27 for it’s external power supply if there is any way you could use this for a comparison. Let me know if this is usable for you in this state and I will organise it. Unfortunately I will not be fitting Mike’s upgrades until the Autumn/Winter season kicks in and cash flow improves enough to allow some more R&D expenditure.

It’s getting late and I have to crash.

Paul

JazzBones
23-07-2011, 06:45
Hi Ron,

Sorry about that. I couldn't resist having a joke with Andrew... I'll remove it if you like :)

Marco.

Hey Marco, please don't remove ANYFINK you have said or written as it is indicative of the various likes, dislikes and so on of people who populate this forum, including your goodself. If we all liked and used the same then this forum would eventually become dull and boring. I like to think that I am big enough and intelligent enough to cope with a different view point than mine... my gawd I should be sainted :lol:

Thanks mate

Ron :cheers:

Marco
23-07-2011, 07:54
Lol - that's very reasonable of you, Ron! I've softened things a little now, anyway ;)

Marco.

Marco
23-07-2011, 08:08
Hi Paul,

I have a new even higher power version of the SR7 (EHD), where additional external devices connected to audio servers are requiring power from the motherboard. The transformer rating is increased to 250VA and there is an additional energy storage bank of low ESR capacitors, with a new high power rectifier arrangement designed to present a symmetrical balanced load to the transformer on both output stage and error amplifier supply rails, avoiding any DC imbalance on the transformer secondaries. There is also additional noise filtering in the error amplifier supply. The regulator circuit topology remains the same as the SR5 and the standard SR7 as this is a well-proven design in a wide variety of applications. You already know the benefits of more controlled horsepower under the bonnet even with relatively low power draw equipment like the SL1200

Ok, is the SR7 (EHD) an upgrade on the SR5 I'm using, for the Techy? And if so, is the SR7 (EHD) interchangeable with the SR5, as in unplug one, and plug in the other?

If that's the case, I'd like to do the A/B comparison, so sending me an SR7 (EHD) to evaluate would be good :)

An AB trial will be tricky to give you as I only have the one deck here and I have not yet upgraded with Mike’s bearing and platter. I would be happy to send you my deck with all the modifications in place when I have tidied up the electronics and wiring and prepared the SR7EHD-27 for it’s external power supply if there is any way you could use this for a comparison.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't really want to get involved with either of us sending our turntables back and forth, so perhaps you could give the necessary instructions (and a list of parts required) to Anthony, and I could take my turntable to him and have the mods done there? :cool:

Marco.

DSJR
23-07-2011, 09:39
Dave i had the Arcam on a quadraspire acrylic stand with focal pods ( the pods made the bigger difference to my ears).
My life would be easier with a pair of ADM9s and a bunch of files but what can i do , i really like the sound of the Technics.

Not a problem and I WASN'T having a go at all. It's just that when you get the vinyl "right," it doesn't hurt to get the digital looked at again, that's all. In the same way, I personally think we'd gone right off the track (pardon me ;)) when CD first appeared and by the mid 80's, turntable sonics were being re-appraised away from the fruity-fruitbox sound in the UK and the utter blandness that some US platters could have - IMO.. Today, we're benefitting from significant developments in BOTH analogue and digital reproduction - IMO.

When I got the Micro Seiki CD player, the Dual 701/V15 mk4 sounded better. A new clock in the Micro and a Sicomin support redressed the balance for me. These days, I have gone back to listening to either format with no comparison needed, the different presentations not being an issue where the music is concerned.

To return to where I came in, the FMJ player does have a certain vagueness about it and my own recommendation would be to possibly try an old Copland 288 or 289 if you can find a good one at a fair price. The later baby Krell (I forget the name, but it's got rounded front edges) will give precision and listenable clarity too IMO.

Anyway, back to techie chats. I'm enjoying my old, cruder SL1500 and find that proper isolation and a sympathetic mat opens the sonics up to far more enjoyment in the recordings played. I couldn't ask for more from it :) The TD125/R200/Microscanner is still better (so it bloody should be), but the gap is closing and a current fettled Techie would move things on further....

Wakefield Turntables
23-07-2011, 11:07
Paul,

I honestly cant wait to see all the new work your doing on the 1210 but seen as your posting some new piccies of all your latest work that shouldnt be too long! Can you send me a PM with the rough costs of the internal regulator mods!

colinB
23-07-2011, 15:34
Not a problem and I WASN'T having a go at all. It's just that when you get the vinyl "right," it doesn't hurt to get the digital looked at again, that's all. In the same way, I personally think we'd gone right off the track (pardon me ;)) when CD first appeared and by the mid 80's, turntable sonics were being re-appraised away from the fruity-fruitbox sound in the UK and the utter blandness that some US platters could have - IMO.. Today, we're benefitting from significant developments in BOTH analogue and digital reproduction - IMO.

When I got the Micro Seiki CD player, the Dual 701/V15 mk4 sounded better. A new clock in the Micro and a Sicomin support redressed the balance for me. These days, I have gone back to listening to either format with no comparison needed, the different presentations not being an issue where the music is concerned.

To return to where I came in, the FMJ player does have a certain vagueness about it and my own recommendation would be to possibly try an old Copland 288 or 289 if you can find a good one at a fair price. The later baby Krell (I forget the name, but it's got rounded front edges) will give precision and listenable clarity too IMO.

Anyway, back to techie chats. I'm enjoying my old, cruder SL1500 and find that proper isolation and a sympathetic mat opens the sonics up to far more enjoyment in the recordings played. I couldn't ask for more from it :) The TD125/R200/Microscanner is still better (so it bloody should be), but the gap is closing and a current fettled Techie would move things on further....

No Dave, didnt takeit like that and i respect what youre saying. I use a ps3 for cd duties and its not the same as a proper cdp.

Wakefield Turntables
23-07-2011, 17:13
No Dave, didnt takeit like that and i respect what youre saying. I use a ps3 for cd duties and its not the same as a proper cdp.

Just to slightly go off topic, i understand the PS1 can be severely tweaked to produce quite good results, have you thought about that maybe ?

colinB
23-07-2011, 20:36
I bought it on a whim to be honest. Two things caught me, one being the new 320gb memory for storing my cds and playing gran turismo 5. Maybe i`ll buy a super cd player in the future but at the moment im enjoying spotify and vinyl.

Marco
23-07-2011, 20:45
Any input on this, Paul? :)

Hi Paul,

Ok, is the SR7 (EHD) an upgrade on the SR5 I'm using, for the Techy? And if so, is the SR7 (EHD) interchangeable with the SR5, as in unplug one, and plug in the other?

If that's the case, I'd like to do the A/B comparison, so sending me an SR7 (EHD) to evaluate would be good :)

I hear what you're saying, but I don't really want to get involved with either of us sending our turntables back and forth, so perhaps you could give the necessary instructions (and a list of parts required) to Anthony, and I could take my turntable to him and have the mods done there? :cool:

Marco.

Paul Hynes
24-07-2011, 13:04
Marco,

It is an upgrade. I have added an SR7 to the build schedule for you to try and will PM you when I am ready to ship.

I have already talked with Anthony a while back about modifications on the mainland and he was concerned that he would not have time to offer for this as he is busy with other business activity. He may well be able to do the mods for you as a one off. I will talk to him about what is involved and we can take it from there.

I must admit that shipping expensively modified decks around using the carrier system would not appeal to everyone. It would be a different matter if the deck was virgin, that would later be modified with the usual more expensive upgrades. I will have to consider the options. It would be a shame to cancel the internal power supply upgrades due to logistical problems.

Paul

MartinT
24-07-2011, 15:45
Paul - as an electronics engineer I would like to undertake the extended PSU mods using my existing SR5, perhaps creating a photo series as I go. How far away is a kit of parts? By all means continue by PM if you prefer.

Marco
24-07-2011, 18:11
Hi Paul,

It is an upgrade. I have added an SR7 to the build schedule for you to try and will PM you when I am ready to ship.

Excellent. No rush - I look forward to it :)

I have already talked with Anthony a while back about modifications on the mainland and he was concerned that he would not have time to offer for this as he is busy with other business activity. He may well be able to do the mods for you as a one off. I will talk to him about what is involved and we can take it from there.

Nice one... Yup, if you fill Anthony in on what's involved, and give him a parts list, he'll do the job for me, no worries. I'm just rather nervous about shipping my Techy around, in case it gets lost or damaged (mine is a minty-mint and rare MK5G model, bought from new), and I'm rather fond of it!

I must admit that shipping expensively modified decks around using the carrier system would not appeal to everyone. It would be a different matter if the deck was virgin, that would later be modified with the usual more expensive upgrades. I will have to consider the options. It would be a shame to cancel the internal power supply upgrades due to logistical problems.

Indeed, but not everyone will be worried about shipping their T/T around, especially when not entirely mint second-hand units are involved. However, what Martin suggests is a good idea, if implemented correctly (made into a step-by-step feature), and could be followed by folks on AoS who are into DIY :cool:

Marco.

Paul Hynes
25-07-2011, 10:55
Martin and Marco,

The regulator modules are from my standard range and are modified to suit the deck requirements. They are available but, as I build everything to order, they are subject to the build schedule, which is currently in the region of 28 working days for modules. This will give me time to prepare some basic instructions from my notes as a guideline for Martin and Anthony should he be in a position to caress your Virgin MK5G, Marco. I have included two sets of regulator modules in the build schedule for you as a contribution to the forum.

Regards
Paul

Wakefield Turntables
25-07-2011, 17:47
wHOPPEE!!! :eek:

Marco
25-07-2011, 23:43
Yay! Nice one, and appreciated... Just let me know when things are ready, Paul :cool:

Marco.

MartinT
26-07-2011, 16:42
This will give me time to prepare some basic instructions from my notes as a guideline for Martin and Anthony should he be in a position to caress your Virgin MK5G, Marco. I have included two sets of regulator modules in the build schedule for you as a contribution to the forum.

Nice one, Paul. Detailed photo series of my build is promised as my contribution to the forum :)