PDA

View Full Version : Croft 25 and Pioneer A400

Busybee330
11-07-2011, 07:46
Hello everyone .

While saving for a Croft Series 7 , I have a Croft 25 preamp and a Pioneer A400 at home .
Would the A400 cope with the Croft ( impedance , ... ) or is there a risk I would damage the amp , even without setting silly volume ? :)

Thank you

Bernard

Ali Tait
11-07-2011, 07:53
Should be fine. Set the volume on the amp to about 75%, and use the pre to control volume.

hifi_dave
11-07-2011, 09:25
It will work just fine but you won't get the full benefit of the Croft Micro 25.

Busybee330
11-07-2011, 09:40
Thank you both .

I know that the Croft is a class above , even with the A400 being the GTE spec .

It will help me being patient while I wait for the Series 7 :)

Rich On TC1
11-07-2011, 19:38
Glad you like your Croft Micro 25 Pre. I Only got mine last week,and iam using it as a phono stage going into my naim uniti. I find the phono stage to be first class,and you just hear more of the music than before.Iam in the same boat as you, and iam waiting for funds to buy the croft series 7 power Amp,and then use the uniti through my croft amps.I might have to give Hifi dave an email,as i do like to use different dealers from time to time.

Macca
23-07-2011, 09:35
Thank you both .

I know that the Croft is a class above , even with the A400 being the GTE spec .

It will help me being patient while I wait for the Series 7 :)

Hi Bernard

Just wondering if the Croft/A400 combo worked well (or not)?

DSJR
23-07-2011, 10:33
Why would you want to add another line stage between the source and Pioneer integrated???

The A400 could be heaven or hell depending on what it was used with - I've heard it both ways in my time), so please don't damn it out of hand. It didn't work in bady matched low-budget "WTF 5-star" based systems, but get it right and it was as good as anything else in the class above I found. It was just the hype around it which let the side down I thought.

My own advice would be to swap the Pioneer for the Croft (integrated if that helps you save funds) all in one go, therefore saving shedloads of aggro.

Macca
23-07-2011, 10:36
Why would you want to add another line stage between the source and Pioneer integrated???

I was assuming the A400 had a pre amp-in facility. It doesn't?

DSJR
23-07-2011, 10:51
Oh that's right. I remember it being called a power amp with volume control :)

I still recommend leaving it as-is, but if the croft bug won't go away (Ok, I know it won't :)), the use the Pioneer flat out and use the Croft as a preamp.

TBH, the Crown power amps I have are the same, with 25K input impedance with their gain controls flat out and around 13K with them set half way as recommended by the manufacturer in the first instance. My Croft offers at least 47K on its inputs, possibly higher still with the tweaks Glenn suggested and this does help with some sources, so this may be better for you too :)

Good luck :)