PDA

View Full Version : Open Baffle Line Source Array Loudspeaker

Paul Hynes
10-07-2011, 12:50
Back on Dr Bunsen Honeydew’s thread “Why do you need a speaker crossover – discuss” on the “Blank Canvas” heading, I added a few posts about the Line source loudspeaker arrays that I use in my sound system because they do not use crossovers and also because they use several mechanical solutions to achieve very good sound quality. The interest shown in these line arrays was taking the original subject off topic so I have started this thread to discuss all things relating to full range drivers used in open baffle line source loudspeaker arrays. This information I will be posting here is based on the R&D path I took developing these line arrays and any useful information I picked up along the way from other sources that has any relevance. There will be those of you that have experience with one or more of the parameters that will be covered in this thread and I welcome any discussion and any new ideas that may be of benefit to furthering the performance of this type of design. Several of my DIY enthusiast friends have already built some of the designs that I will be discussing here and they have been very pleasantly surprised at how well such simple designs can present a musical event in a domestic environment. I have no objections to anyone building these designs for their own use in a domestic environment.

For the benefit of those who have not seen the posts I made in the Doc's thread I have copied them here, as there is some useful background information and some answers to questions posed by others in them. This will save jumping around the forum.

I use full range loudspeakers without crossovers and would not sacrifice the coherent presentation I am getting with these. During the 1970’s I used Eagle FR8 full-range drive units loaded with sewer pipes, tuned to the drive units, driven with Linsley Hood Class A amplifiers (the original simplest version in turn driven by Hood’s phono stage) and really enjoyed the musical presentation these items achieved even though the measured response could have been criticised. Everyone who heard this system was in agreement that musically it was exceptional compared to what was generally available at the time for similar levels of expenditure.

Historically I have had a lot of involvement with loudspeaker design, designers and manufacturing. I have tried most of the design options available for cabinet loading and crossovers, both passive and active through the 1980’s and early 1990’s. Whilst some of these designs were impressive for one reason or another, few approached the coherence provided by my 1970s system so I went back to full range, and I have been there ever since.

Much has changed since the 1970s but loudspeaker design is still governed by the laws of Physics. Disregarding the recording chain and replay electronics, which have their own issues that need care and attention in design, recreating a convincing illusion of a live musical event requires more than most commercial loudspeaker designs can achieve.

For instance, a classical concert performance or a rock concert will require movement of air that no single small drive unit would ever be able to realistically achieve. Think about it, you cannot reproduce the full energy of a tympani drum or a kick drum realistically with an 8 inch drive unit in a small cabinet. If you mess up the phase response through the audio band the fundamental notes and their harmonics will not be reproduced with the correct time relationship causing much musical confusion. Squash the dynamic scale and the performance fails to excite as much as a live event. I agree that a flat frequency response is not as important as these three key attributes. Anything that happens to the sound in the airspace of a live acoustic musical event will be perceived as a natural occurrence, and your brain will accept this as normal if it occurs in a sound system provided the effect is not exaggerated. Allowing a loudspeaker to generate effects that are not normally perceived at a live acoustic event can be disruptive to the illusion you wish to create. This goes for other equipment in the chain of reproduction too. Measurements are useful initially to get some idea of the overall electrical/mechanical performance but should never be solely relied upon. I have heard so many designs that measure well but sound wrong and some designs that do not measure to well by accepted standards that sound great. Your ears are your best asset when designing or choosing equipment.

Paul

You could argue that my open baffle line source arrays use mechanical solutions for tricky issues. I use Visaton B200 drivers and their individual response curve is anything but flat through the audio band, although I suspect these curves were produced from drive units that were fresh off the production line and not run in. After a month or so of run in the ragged top end smoothes out considerably and the drive unit sounds more coherent through the audio band. The bass end of an individual drive unit is lightweight due to the falling response, but happily, when mounting eight drive units in a vertical array, the parallel operation of the drive units gives a large boost in efficiency in the lower mid and bass end, which reinforces the bass very nicely in a way that evens out the bass/mid response to the point where I do not feel the need for subwoofers. The bass goes very deep when there is deep bass in the program and there is no cabinet honk or restriction as the arrays are open baffle. A well recorded kick drum sounds like a kick drum and I should know what this sounds like as I usually stood near to the drummer in the group I used to play in as a youngster.

Line arrays have benefits regarding reduced room interaction due to the way they propagate energy into the room. This is another mechanical solution to reduce an age-old problem of room interaction.

I have to admit that the top end rolls off a little earlier than many would require, however this can be a blessing with some program especially from digital sources, and the treble is nicely coherent.

The near field amplitude response of the line array falls off at only 3 dB for every doubling of distance whereas a point source propagating a spherical wave front falls off at 6 dB per doubling of distance. This adds further to the overall efficiency in a beneficial way. The very high efficiency of the lines means I only need a few watts to achieve concert levels, which is a nice side effect of the parallel drive units and the effects of the way the wave front is propagated into the room, which is once again a result of a mechanical solution.

Using eight drivers per channel means the lines can move enough air for concert levels without extreme cone excursions so the distortion levels of the drive units are very low.

So effectively I have moved away from complexity by implementing mechanical solutions in the loudspeaker design to minimise components in the signal path. There are no crossover components in the arrays. This has benefited the electronics too and my power amp has one mosfet and one resistor in the direct signal path and my line preamp is an LDR L-pad with one LDR directly in series with the signal. There is just no need for any voltage gain in these sections.

This works for me and I have not felt the need to work on the speakers or amplification for over four years. Prior to that I was always fiddling around spending vast amounts of R&D time looking for improvements.

Out of interest the system is great for home cinema duty too and some of the sound effects in the blockbuster films can be awesome.

Paul

I am trying to keep up with posts on this thread tonight but things are getting a little disjointed so bear with me if I miss something,.

I cannot photo the lines this week as we are re-decorating the lounge and making it more music friendly, however I have some photos of the line arrays I took at the old Cumbrian address that are on Photobucket at the following links :-

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/Picture036.jpg

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/Picture039.jpg

and the power amp :-

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/SE1.jpg

and the line preamp :-

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/VCCS1C.jpg

Anyone wishing to experiment and use these designs for their own personal system is welcome, but please do not use them commercially without arranging a license, as this is very disrespectful, and one of the main reasons people do not publish details of their design work nowadays.

Chris (technobear),

The efficiency gain is frequency dependant and gradual. Horn-loaded systems display this effect for different reasons.. The higher frequencies tend to beam and not reinforce, but the low frequencies couple and reinforce. With a bit of care with the selection of drive units, this can give a relatively flat response down to the low frequencies.

Another attribute of the line source is the wave front generated is essentially cylindrical in its expansion into the listening area. A floor to ceiling line source would show no ceiling or floor reflection removing a prime source of room interaction. Any reflection off the side walls sounds like venue reverb. In this instance as the line are open baffle there is a reflection from the rear wall, like planar speakers. If the line arrays are orientated correctly, the delay time is long enough not to interfere with leading edge information and the imaging remains intact with the reflection once again sounding like venue reverb. Venue reverb is normal and we tend to accept it accordingly.

I am aware of the phase plug options but I am not finding problems with beaming in reality. Once again this is a natural phenomenon and I think our brains may just ignore the effect as long as it is not exaggerated. When I get some time I will experiment with the recommended phase plugs to see how they affect behaviour with the line array.

Richard,

You are quite right about the commercial issues and domestic harmony. This is why I have not bothered to market the line arrays. However I think I am one of the lucky ones in that my lass and my daughter both love music and film, and art in general for that matter, so I can do what I want with the AV system even though it is in the main lounge. With this system I have not been working on a commercial solution, it is purely for myself and I will follow my wildest dreams to get the system where I want it to be. Speaking of dreams, I often dream up solutions to engineering problems while asleep. Does this happen with you too? It can save a lot of R&D time if the dream works in real time.

Ali,

The B200 is a good driver with the right parameters for use on open baffles. It is not perfect like every other driver, but it does have that musical magic that few modern drivers, that I have tried, seem to have. As you have some to listen to you will know what I mean. I did consider large diameter bass units in the early stage of my B200 experience but the benefits of the line array were drawing me like a siren. The reason the line arrays do not sum higher up the frequency bandwidth is due to the directional nature of the higher frequencies. The further up the bandwidth you go the more directional the beam becomes. This does increase combing effects. Even with a single source, as soon as the wave front hits an obstacle and is reflected back into the sound field, a combing effect will occur. For those mot familiar with this terminology, a combing effect occurs when two or more wave fronts collide and intermingle causing reinforcement, or cancellation, depending on the relative phase of the wave front. This is a natural phenomenon and the brain accepts it as normal.

The B200 line array is 2 metres tall.

You are lucky that your lass has the same love of music as you do.

John,

The line arrays are not as overpowering as you might think, as the baffles are quite slim. Tall maybe, but slim. Is the Ben Harper you refer to in your musical appreciation the son of Roy Harper?

Anthony,

Line arrays are used a lot in Pro Audio for good reason, so I am not surprise you are familiar with them. OK, they are relatively big in the domestic environment. If you want to have a go with them I will load the original drawings on Photobucket and post links on this thread. The concept will work with other drive units as long as they are happy working on an open baffle and have a reasonable bandwidth. I have tried some lower cost full range drivers but the results were less satisfactory. In fact I have just skipped a load of unsatisfactory drive units. Recycled properly of course.

Paul

Now to catch up with the line source array posts on the Doc's thread.

Paul

John
10-07-2011, 13:20
Thanks for this Paul
My first question could you do this with less drivers lets say 4 It would be the height issue that would prevent me from even considering using this unit as I listen in a loft conversion
How did you mount the drivers and add support to the baffles

Paul Hynes
10-07-2011, 13:35
From Ali Tait,

Originally Posted by technobear Quite a few on DIYaudio have removed the dust cap and replaced it with a phase plug. It is said this reduces the beaming and improves them no end.

Chris/Paul,
Yes, I have put phase plugs in mine and it was indeed a good improvement. Just seems to smooth out and extend the top.end. I feel no need for a tweeter. I used Planet10 plugs.

Paul,
Regarding the use of two bass drivers, I did not design these baffles, but as I understand it, the use of the Eminence in an OB causes a -6db drop in level at bass frequencies. Using two drivers redresses this imbalance.
I had considered this a few years back after some discussions on Audiocircle regarding B200 phase plugs. I was pleased with the top end response of the line array at the time also feeling no need for a tweeter, and I was rather busy with work so I didn’t actually include this in my R&D schedule. When I have some spare time and some cash in my back pocket I will get another pair of B200’s and some phase plugs to investigate.

Open baffle loading allows the out-of phase wave front from the back of the drive unit to cancel that from the front of the drive unit. This is a frequency dependant mechanism that reduces as the wave front becomes more directional higher up the frequency range. Two identical drivers on the baffle provide frequency dependant mutual coupling that changes the polar response or the drive unit combination allowing less cancellation in the bass frequencies therefore reinforcing the bass. This is why the line array has such good bass response. Doubling the number of drive units again to 4 will provide more bass boost and 8 even more. The more you approach the ideal of the floor to ceiling line the more the wave front tends towards a cylindrical shape as a result of the mutual coupling between drive units. On the B200 array there appears to be no trade-off with this as the reinforcement nicely complements the natural response of the drive units in the midrange giving a relatively level response through the bass to the HF limits even on a narrow baffle.

Paul

Paul Hynes
10-07-2011, 13:43
John,

One of my friends has built a pair of lines with four drivers per side and is very pleased with them. He is very keen on getting a natural presentation for clasical, folk and jazz music. Happily they rock too although not as loudly as the 8 drive lines.

I will be posting the original drawings of the B200 line array later in the thread and these can be adapted to suit the implemetation needs. Mine are mounted on an MDF baffle with a framework of heavy duty aluminium extrusions of the type often used to build display stands at commercial shows. I am sure there are better baffle materials available and I did intend to look further into this.

Paul

Ali Tait
10-07-2011, 14:48
Paul, thanks for this, very interesting indeed. Your photobucket links no longer work for me though, could you post up the pics again please?

What width are the baffles?

Paul Hynes
10-07-2011, 15:05
Paul, the line arrays look very interesting and appeal to my sense of right-ness. However, it's the power amp that has me drawing breath in amazement. What a fantastically simple and elegant circuit. Clearly it's going to be very power supply dependent, but of course that is your game. What kind of output do you get from one of these and is the output impedance low enough?

MartinT
Hello Martin,

The SE1 single ended DC coupled power amp does require a good power supply, as the supply rejection is quite low. I use the same regulator topology as you have in your SR5. There is a negative rail version too.

The reason I do not need voltage gain in the line preamp and the power amplifier is that the 8 drive units in the line array are wired in parallel giving a nominal impedance of 0.75 Ohms. This is vital to getting the stable soundstage and great dynamic performance these lines are capable of. Wiring the drive units in series/parallel means you are driving drive units through drive units, adding a highly reactive component between the drive unit and the amplifier, causing a lot of interaction between the music signal and the reactive signals from the drive units. The sound field is muddled and the music dynamically compromised with series/parallel operation. Parallel driver operation demands more current but less voltage swing for a given power delivery. For Vinyl I am currently using a MM cartridge with a phono stage gain of 43dB and no other voltage gain in the system. This will go loud enough for a good concert level. For Digital my Altmann DAC has more than enough gain too.

The SE1 power amp can be set up for 0.75 ohm loads without issues, as the mosfets are very rugged. The IDSS of the depletion mosfets is around 3 to 3.5 amps at full operating temperature. In my system they are set up to deliver 2.5 Watts into 0.75 ohms with a +/-12 volt supply in pure Class A. This is more than adequate in my listening room with such high efficiency from the lines (around 105 dB for 1 Watt at 1 metre). I have also used this circuit topology set up for 8 watts into 6 ohms (one B200 on an open baffle for the initial driver test) and this works fine although a little voltage gain is required as the driver efficiency is much lower for a single driver. The output impedance is around 0.5 ohms with the IXYS mosfets I have used. In practice this works well with the B200 drive units. The power delivery of the SE1 can be increased, and the output impedance reduced, by using parallel output mosfets, but the thermal engineering requirements escalate dramatically especially with more than one pair of mosfets per rail.

I have another circuit configuration that works in balanced mode that can be used in Class AB this is much more user friendly thermally.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/CIRC1.jpg

This is based on the Circlotron type output stage and can be used with either the IXYS depletion mosfets or lateral mosfets with lower bias points than the SE1. The link just shows the CIRC1 with the IXYS mosfets at full IDSS but I can advise on suitable bias circuitry for use with the lower bias levels. The enthusiast with the 4 driver array uses a version of this with lateral mosfets biased to give 100 watts into eight ohms. It actually drives his 4 driver array’s 1.5 ohm load without problems. This amplifier has a balanced input valve gain stage to provide the voltage gain for 100 watts into 8 ohms. Theoretically the CIRC1 output stage circuit could be up-rated to higher power levels, if required. Once again the circuit does benefit from quality power supplies but the forward signal path of the amplifier is very simple.

Do not worry about the relatively high output impedance of these two circuits. Nelson Pass has shown that certain types of drive unit with relatively high Qts like the B200, work very well with simple power amps with higher output impedance than usually expected in Hifi amplifiers, as they do not need high levels of electrical damping like the lower Qts types. The overall impedance of the line might be rather low but each individual driver still has a nominal impedance of 6 ohms so still receives some electrical damping, but it is natural damping and not generated by large amounts of negative feedback.

Paul

Paul Hynes
10-07-2011, 15:55
Ali,

I have reset the links.

The baffles are 400mm wide and 2 metres high.

PM is not necessary as I am not actively offering these designs comercially at present and they are not subject to license non-disclosure agreements.

Regards
Paul

John
10-07-2011, 16:00
Perhaps I go for this when I have more space in the future as would miss the bass I now have and I do not see 4 giving me what I am used too

Paul Hynes
10-07-2011, 16:11
Stanley,

This is a very good point. Even a loudspeaker with a flat response in anechoic conditions is not going to measure flat in a typical listening room environment. Frequency response anomalies occur naturally in a live acoustic music event, held indoors or outdoors, so we tend to accept an uneven frequency response that doesn’t get too wild. Even if the room response were treated to give a relatively flat room response, just generating two separate sound sources in this environment would cause peaks and dips in the frequency response, due to cancellation and reinforcement effects (comb effects).

Regards
Paul

Paul Hynes
10-07-2011, 16:13
John.

Looking at the speakers you are currently using I think you would need 8 drivers per side to maintain the bass response at a level you would need for personal satisfaction.

Regards
Paul

John
10-07-2011, 16:17
Yes my thoughts too but I do like its approac h so perhaps in the future

Paul Hynes
10-07-2011, 17:09
I have managed to find the original drawing for the line arrays :-

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/VCLS5A.jpg

And the stands :-

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww7/paulhynes/VCLS5PRO.jpg

Paul

aquapiranha
10-07-2011, 18:48
Thanks Paul. I have used the B200 with great success in OB, but I think the ost of 8 would be offputting for some, certainly for me! However, I have no doubt that they would sound fabulous but I doubt I will ever hear any but it is good to hear about them all the same.

Ali Tait
10-07-2011, 19:08
Only problem is any normal amp would not cope with the impedance. Bet they sound great though.

Paul, a pic of what I am using at the moment ( Steve built them)-

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9292/imag0144p.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/37/imag0144p.jpg/)

Paul Hynes
11-07-2011, 12:55
Steve and Ali,

The line I used before the B200 array used aluminium coned bass-mid drivers. I had used a variety of tweeters with these but could not eradicate the effects of the crossovers I had to use with the array nor could I run the bass-mid without the crossovers as they had resonance problems between 4 to 7 KHz. It was just not possible to get what I wanted from these combinations, however I heard some nice benefits of the line array over the standard two-way stereo pair of speakers using these drivers. The obvious benefits were the extended bass response and the reduced room interaction. I decided I needed to avoid the crossover issue and look for a good full range driver with good musical coherence through its working bandwidth. Small diameter low cost full range drivers were quite good but could not manage the bass weight I required. Visaton make several of these and I tried the BG13 and the BG17 but both of these types needed a sub woofer to get enough bass weight and I did not want any crossover in the audio frequency range. The rest of the bandwidth was certainly acceptable and these drivers are much cheaper than the B200 although I have to say that the B200 is a much better drive unit and is certainly a good example of “you get what you pay for”.

It is a shame the B200s are so expensive and I must admit I was disinclined to go for 16 drivers initially. This opinion changed when I had one drive unit per channel on an open baffle. Once they had run in I was very pleased with the overall musical coherence, a parameter I value above all others. The bass end was light but it was nicely coherent with the rest of the bandwidth and I already knew I would get considerable low frequency reinforcement from 8 drivers per side. As it happened the level of reinforcement with 8 drivers was just right for my requirements. The bass is very natural and extended, allowing the full weight of a drum and the musical timing is exceptional.

As this was a personal project I was not constrained by convention, so I could design the arrays, and, in fact the whole system, how I wanted it. I had no need to comply with normal amplifier design requirements so I just designed the power amplifier for the job in hand. Designing a power amplifier for such low impedance loads is not difficult. You just have to re-size the voltage/current/voltage gain relationships. This is easy enough to do for personal DIY projects, but awkward for the standard market. This is the main reason I have not bothered to market the arrays and the amplifier. They are products of lateral thinking, and they do not fit in with conventional system acceptance.

Ali,

Looks like you can move a lot of air with those drivers. Probably as much as the line arrays can. Are you using a crossover on the bass units?

Paul

Ali Tait
11-07-2011, 13:27
Paul, they are run actively using a Behringer DCX2496. On the advice of Scott Lindgren, who is a friend, I cross over to the woofers at 200hz,with the Behringer set for fourth-order, so a steep roll off. His advice was spot on, as it's very easy to experiment with the DCX, and 200hz fourth-order does indeed give the best sound to my ears, and yes, bass is not lacking!

sondale
13-07-2011, 11:22
Paul,

As you know I built the SE1 power amps with the intention of then building the line arrays - a year on and no speakers - in my defence I have built a few other single driver speakers (FH3, Maeshowe and Jaguars).

At the moment I have 6 B200s so I will order another pair and get on with the frame. With only 4 units per side would I position these in the middle or just effectively build only the bottom half of the array i.e. 1 metre high.

I will construct the frame so that each B200 is mounted in its own baffle and the baffle then screwed to the frame - this would allow me to build a bigger frame and easily transfer the units if / when I get more units.

I will record this build and put it in the DIY section - assuming all goes well.:lolsign:

Alan

John
13-07-2011, 11:47
I look forward to seeing the results

MartinT
13-07-2011, 12:08
Paul - many thanks for the detailed information. I have learned a lot from your postings.