PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy 636

wee tee cee
05-07-2011, 11:34
There is a pair of these for sale near to me,does anyone have any experience of them.I need to be able to place them near to a rear wall 50cm max.Also I am looking for something a bit less harsh than my current metal tweetered kefs.

Effem
06-07-2011, 04:24
They will certainly sound different than the KEFs, but whether they sound "better" is for your ears alone to decide. As I recall they are a sealed box design which means they won't get too upset from being close to a rear wall.

If they are not far away from you, then contact the seller for an audition rather than buying blind, or forum hearsay from idiots like me :lol:

wee tee cee
07-07-2011, 01:56
Thanks Frank,
They were horrible black ash jobbies anyway.I would put a fair bit of trust in your judgement after the results I had with your cable recommendations.
Reckon I will just have to get my finger out and start building a pair of OBs.
Noticed you were interested in the tellurium cable,I had a wee play about today before I went to work swapping some van damme stuff in for a listen.Put the tellurium back in was like I had removed the speaker grills.Would love to hear your assessment of them.I found the blue excellent,the black was even better.
Regards Tony.

Effem
07-07-2011, 12:51
Yes I will get around to playing with some Tellurium cables Tony, when I have finished decorating and the list of jobs my missus has lined up for me :lol:

DSJR
07-07-2011, 16:06
Don't know which KEFs you have, but some of the metal dome uni-Q's have the tweeter set around 3db too high, in an attempt to make budget speakers sound "exciting" - a trend carried on from long ago. A far cry from the clinically flat response of many of the better KEFs of yore.

I wasn't hugely keen on the Tannoy 600 series, but for close to wall listening, the bigger models may just be the ticket for you. The smaller ones were a bit too tight-a*sed for me at the time and the very much smaller DC drivers are hardly the last word in sweet treble refinement I'm afraid.

wee tee cee
07-07-2011, 16:57
Is there any way to modify the kefs to calm the the treble a little,otherwise they are very good in my set up room wise.

Macca
07-07-2011, 17:00
Is there any way to modify the kefs to calm the the treble a little,otherwise they are very good in my set up room wise.

You could try felt or something similar stuck to the baffle around the driver. That works with tweeters but I'm nor sure if it would with the KEF uni-q driver.

Effem
07-07-2011, 18:27
On a conventional tweeter a 100 ohm or thereabouts damping resistor can be fitted to the terminals on the rear of the tweeter to take the sting out of the sound, but on the Uni-q driver I wouldn't know where to begin.

A simple and cheap cure is to fold/scrunch up so toilet or tissue paper and pop it in behind the grilles immediately in front of the tweeter. The amount of tissue will of course depend upon how much you want to tame the tweeter's output.

wee tee cee
08-07-2011, 16:39
Frank,
It must be possible because the tweeter runs a separate feed.The speaker posts seperate the two big drive units and the tweeter in the center of the drive unit.Might pull the top drive unit out and have a wee peek.Were would I place the resistor,is it across the terminals or in line with one of the leads.
Ive been experimenting with bi-wiring to take the edge off the treble the belkin flat stuff is doing a pretty good job on the tweeter with the tellurium black on the woofers.Thanks for the help.
Dave,I have iq50s to my ears they seem to do an awfull lot right.
Regards Tony.

DSJR
08-07-2011, 19:47
A 1 or 1.5 Ohm resistor in series with the tweeter return may be enough to start with. Crude, but we're not talking reference monitor here and if it helps blend the tweeter better with the pretty good mid driver (IMO on some of 'em), then great..

Another way/bodge with the larger RDM-9's which KEF made a few years ago was to use different gauges of cable for bass/mid and treble. A total bodge, showing that KEF didn't get it totally right first time, but it worked in practice.

Effem
08-07-2011, 19:55
Frank,
It must be possible because the tweeter runs a separate feed.The speaker posts seperate the two big drive units and the tweeter in the center of the drive unit.Might pull the top drive unit out and have a wee peek.Were would I place the resistor,is it across the terminals or in line with one of the leads.
Ive been experimenting with bi-wiring to take the edge off the treble the belkin flat stuff is doing a pretty good job on the tweeter with the tellurium black on the woofers.Thanks for the help.
Dave,I have iq50s to my ears they seem to do an awfull lot right.
Regards Tony.

The damping resistor fits directly across the speaker terminals. Don't be tempted to solder it directly on the tweeter terminals otherwise you could damage the tweeter. If there is a small PCB then solder on to that, or disconnect the wires from the tweeter and solder the resistor onto the spades or whatever the wire end terminals are.

Dave suggests a 1 ohm or thereabouts resistor in line with one of the tweeter wires, but that would reduce the output of the tweeter rather than temper the fierceness you are experiencing.