PDA

View Full Version : Linn products

Elvis's last movement
01-07-2011, 18:40
Like a lemming I bought a Linn Sondek/Ittock back in the 70s. I would have bought Linn Kans or Linn Saras at that time but I had bugger all money and a nagging girlfriend.

This time round I certainly would have bought some second hand Linn Kans or Linn Saras, if I hadn't stumbled across this most excellent site.

My question is this.....the accepted wisdom (not just on here) appears to be that Linn speakers aint very good and Celestions, Tannoy etc are excellent and my question is this.

Weren't Celestions a match for Linn speakers way back then, or Tannoy?

Were we all lemmings?

Thing Fish
01-07-2011, 18:51
I like my linn speakers and certainly don't consider myself a lemming.

Do you not like your sondek these days...?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
01-07-2011, 19:56
Like a lemming I bought a Linn Sondek/Ittock back in the 70s. I would have bought Linn Kans or Linn Saras at that time but I had bugger all money and a nagging girlfriend.

This time round I certainly would have bought some second hand Linn Kans or Linn Saras, if I hadn't stumbled across this most excellent site.

My question is this.....the accepted wisdom (not just on here) appears to be that Linn speakers aint very good and Celestions, Tannoy etc are excellent and my question is this.

Weren't Celestions a match for Linn speakers way back then, or Tannoy?

Were we all lemmings?

It is not that they weren't any good, though they all had faults especially the Kan. It was that you were given little choice, as the magazines and the major retailers pushed them at the expense of everything else. Now the bullshit blinkers have been removed you can choose for yourself, and that may be Linn.

Neil McCauley
01-07-2011, 20:11
It is not that they weren't any good, though they all had faults especially the Kan. It was that you were given little choice, as the magazines and the major retailers pushed them at the expense of everything else.

+1

Marco
01-07-2011, 20:24
I like quite a few Linn speakers, actually, but none are modern... I always enjoy listening to Isobariks, Keilidhs and Keltiks, when used in the right system. I particularly like the way Keltiks do bass :cool:

Marco.

chelsea
01-07-2011, 20:40
Products from the likes of quad tannoy rogers were viewed as hifi for the older fogey.

Naim and linn did a superb job with there marketing.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
01-07-2011, 21:36
Products from the likes of quad tannoy rogers were viewed as hifi for the older fogey.

That was part of the brainwash. Though Quad asked for it they did perpetrate that image. Tannoy never did, and Roger jumped on the BBC bandwagon which ran out of steam in the 80's and got steamrollered by the flat earth.

Reid Malenfant
01-07-2011, 21:44
All i'm getting from your posts Richard is that you have no forgiveness, you never will & you just won't let it go...

Apparently you treat members of this forum exactly the same way, like myself, if you feel as though you don't agree with what i have to say you go on the defensive. This appears to involve you totally disrepecting other peoples point of view & calling them stupid.

Perhaps you chose your user name wisely, there are very few muppets on here...

Have a pleasant weekend ;)

Jac Hawk
01-07-2011, 21:45
i was just a padewan back in those days, some of the older Jedi's will undoubtedly know

Joe
01-07-2011, 21:50
Were we all lemmings?

Not me. I hated the sound of Kans, and never bought into the whole Linn/Naim flat earth malarkey.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
01-07-2011, 21:52
I like quite a few Linn speakers, actually, but none are modern... I always enjoy listening to Isobariks, Keilidhs and Keltiks, when used in the right system. I particularly like the way Keltiks do bass :cool:

Marco.

Lindsayt has done a review on what Linn are calling the new Briks on Subjectivist. I will give a link to it as I think it is relevant.

http://thehifisubjectivist.noadforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=440&sid=12066aaf9d57102d5024c82e35d94425

Alex_UK
01-07-2011, 23:13
It was that you were given little choice, as the magazines and the major retailers pushed them at the expense of everything else.

[YAWN] Reminds me, I need to get up to change the record, currently listening to some great vinyl on my newly "fiddled with" 401. :)

Rare Bird
01-07-2011, 23:15
ffk sake why do people start these topics?

Jonboy
01-07-2011, 23:17
currently listening to some great vinyl on my newly "fiddled with" 401. :)

your making me jealous, i like a bit of fiddling ooh er misses

Thing Fish
01-07-2011, 23:38
Why start a thread slagging off a perfectly good product?

That's followed by all the bitter whiners jumping on the thread with amazing gusto spouting the same old crap.

Another thread for me to ignore and another person to add to my ever growing ignore list...sigh.

Elvis's last movement
02-07-2011, 04:39
ffk sake why do people start these topics?

To be honest, its because I just bought a pair of Celestions based on advice from some on here (including you, I recall) and a couple of days ago connected them and they sound superb!! So thanks to all for the recommendation

What I can't understand is why I had never heard of Celestion in the late seventies and it struck me as odd.

It seems that there are some fans on this site of Linn products after all. Maybe I should track down some Linn Saras after all! Having said that I more inclined to seek out some Tannoys but given their price I will listen before buying. I shall be definitely attending your bake off next year.

Marco
02-07-2011, 07:01
Hi Mark,

All i'm getting from your posts Richard is that you have no forgiveness, you never will & you just won't let it go...

Yup. Richard, we don't need to hear any more about the "brainwash"; it's been done to death now mate, so let's remove that one from the 'available topics to discuss list', along with your penchant for moaning about dealers and the industry, unless it is *absolutely* necessary - cheers! :cool:

Apparently you treat members of this forum exactly the same way, like myself, if you feel as though you don't agree with what i have to say you go on the defensive. This appears to involve you totally disrepecting other peoples point of view & calling them stupid.

I don't see any necessity to have brought this up, Mark. Unless I've missed it, Richard hasn't called anyone stupid on this thread, or indeed since I asked him to stop it, so let's leave that there, too - ta! :)

Perhaps you chose your user name wisely, there are very few muppets on here...
Have a pleasant weekend ;)

That's blatantly provocative, Mark, and uncalled for. If you guys can't be civil to each other, then please use the ignore list (as Dave does), as my patience is slowly wearing thin having to moderate this crap! :rolleyes:

However, thanks for reporting the above remark and not reacting to it, Richard. It shows that you're learning.

Regarding, this thread itself, Lance, I'd have to question your motives for starting it in the first place, although they appear to be innocent. However, if I see any more blatant slagging off of Linn by anyone, or any other manufacturer here, then the posts will be deleted and the thread closed.

Marco.

Theo
02-07-2011, 08:29
I never really felt that Linn speakers were pushed at me when I went into any dealerships in the early 80s. My first proper speaker was a pair of Mission 710s, which I bought in preference to the various Wharfedale, Mordaunt Shorts, Celestions, etc that were within my budget. They were a Linn/Naim dealership too. Best speakers I heard that day were the big Mission 770s, which utterly mullered the Saras (I think they were around the same price).

In the mid 80s, I listened to a lot of the name (sic) speakers of the time: I actually chose my Briks against a lot of stiff competition at the end of a Linn/Exposure system, though there were a pair of big ProAcs (I think) at the end of another system which I thought were superb.

I started buying stuff as ex-dem and second hand from the late 80s and stopped visiting the big dealers, so I've no real idea how the situation would have changed for retailers, but if I did go, I thought I had a pretty fair dem of anything I went to listen to (including NVA). When I heard a top of the range Linn system in the 90s, I said that I thought the Keltiks were rubbish compared to the original Briks (in the context of the demo'd system), and the dealer didn't get remotely stroppy about it: he agreed (not the party line, I would have thought).

In other words, if you were ok at exercising free will, you got to buy what you loved the sound of, not what was being sold. You don't have to believe what the mags say. IMHO of course...

Elvis's last movement
02-07-2011, 09:20
Wow, I have walked into something!!!

I am off....mental!!

I am about to unsubscribe

Elvis's last movement
02-07-2011, 09:27
I'd be delighted if some one could unsubscribe me......I can't see how to do it.

Macca
02-07-2011, 09:32
Wow, I have walked into something!!!

I am off....mental!!

I am about to unsubscribe

Don't over-react - we've had too much of that already!

DSJR
02-07-2011, 09:56
Well, "we" were one of Linn and Naim's big three dealers in the 80's and also sold loads of Quad, Rogers and B&O too. No issues there, except for one self-important individual who was totally and patronisingly Naim-centric.....

The LP12 can make a very good used buy, as long as some sound common sense is used in setup and maintenance. sadly, the earlier ones weren't very consistent, and this can adversely affect the ease of setup, which is where the likes of me came in.

Keltiks Marco? Absolutely HIDEOUS - and that's in several environments in full blinkered Linn systems, so severely mechanical and ballistic are they. Nothing like having cheap drivers on a plastic baffle yet selling for many thousands the pair.. Kabers had an odd bass too and the early tweeters were also very poor, but an early passive pair with later tweeters sounded quite sweet. Active was the only way to hear these though as in passive form, there were many better alternatives I found.

Forget Linn these days. they have little of real relevance for penny-pinching bargain hunters and are chasing the rich rockers these days. The rest of us can make do with equally well and better performing gear which won't look as good, but will cost a fraction of the costs.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
02-07-2011, 10:00
I'd be delighted if some one could unsubscribe me......I can't see how to do it.

It is not your fault, you just posted at the wrong time in some forum politics. There are people here including at least one moderator who want me removed from the forum. You posted on one of my pet subjects, so I replied basically in agreement, this set off the dogs barking again.

So stay, it is not your fault, it is just Marco is in an awkward position trying to stay balanced with this and trying to stop it happening, so everyone got a little blame from him even though in your case not deserved. You would have got no problem if I hadn't posted, it would have been a normal thread.

Let it ride you will find the forum is worth it in the long run.

Marco
02-07-2011, 10:25

Lance, mate, chill.... You're obviously new to forums. Linn/Naim threads are often 'contentious'. No-one's saying you're guily of anything so relax. Apologies if my earlier remarks upset you :)

Marco.

Marco
02-07-2011, 10:26
Keltiks Marco? Absolutely HIDEOUS - and that's in several environments in full blinkered Linn systems, so severely mechanical and ballistic are they...

Not the ones I've heard, Dave, so we'll leave it there! ;)

Marco.

Marco
02-07-2011, 10:27
It is not your fault, you just posted at the wrong time in some forum politics. You posted on one of my pet subjects, so I replied basically in agreement, this set off the dogs barking again.

So stay, it is not your fault, it is just Marco is in an awkward position trying to stay balanced with this and trying to stop it happening, so everyone got a little blame from him even though in your case not deserved. You would have got no problem if I hadn't posted, it would have been a normal thread.

Let it ride you will find the forum is worth it in the long run.

That's a very good summary of the situation, Richard - cheers! :)

...apart from this:

There are people here including at least one moderator who want me removed from the forum.

Trust me, that is NOT the case. It's more a lack of understanding, from the relevant parties, of what makes people tick ;)

Marco.