PDA

View Full Version : Making the Denon DL-103SA Sing!!!

audio39
18-06-2011, 01:24
I haven't been posting much lately, I have been spending a great deal of time trying out different SUT's with my DL-103SA, and I was patiently awaiting the arrival of my new Audiomods Series IV arm.

Soooo...I love the arm, I've long been a Fidelity Research or Grace kinda guy, the odd Victor would find its way onto a TT of mine, and of course those SME's, but I have to put in print that I believe the Audiomods arm outperforms those other arms.

I'm presently using the medium shim with my Denon, I think it's a 6g shim. I did try the 10g shim for a few hours, but I find the music to have a better pace and shimmer with the slightly lighter shim.

Regarding the SUT's, well I read with interest numerous posts on many sites espousing the virtues of the A23 and the Cinemag, so I tried them both. I purchased the Cinemag and was not very impressed, so I sold it 2 weeks after making the purchase, fortunately I got my money back.

I was lucky to be able to borrow the A23, I've long been someone who would loan gear out for folks to try, the favour was returned this time out.

The A23 was to me a vast improvement over the Cinemag, I especially liked the high frequency presentation, but alas, I was not satisfied, so....

I decided to yet again take a trip back in time and source out a SUT I was familiar with from many years ago. I purchased a Luxman 8020 SUT and AD 8000 adapter and the very moment the needle hit the vinyl after installing the 8020 I was back in the groove (yes, that was a pun!).

The 8020 is a pure silver wire SUT, hand wound to boot, these are hard to find and not exactly cheap, but the synergy between the DL-103SA and this SUT makes it worth the effort and expense.

The highs are airy, the imaging has improved dramatically, where the image never went beyond the speakers before, it now has widened past the outside of my Harbeths. The depth has also improved, and by quite a bit. The music is "light" and "quick", the bass has serious attack, its vivid, its alive.

I was very close to selling my Denon, now I can't get enough.

I'm going to get some pics up soon, the arm is drop dead gorgeous, and Jeff made some mounting rings that go nicely with the tonearm base on my Lux...and he was great to deal with, the kind of guy you expect you'll do business with again.

With my highest recommendation I tell you to find a Luxman 8020 SUT and AD 8000 adapter to run with your DL-103(R)(SA), you'll be doing yourself a big favour.

Ok, need a beer!

Marco
18-06-2011, 07:46
Hi Rick,

Nice write-up, and most interesting! Basically, it's all about synergy - and that's not just between the cartridge and SUT, but also between the SUT and phono stage/preamp. And you've obviously hit upon a combination that works :)

I've not heard the Luxman. Where did you obtain it and how much did it cost?

What you've also highlighted is that finding the optimal SUT for an MC cartridge is not simply about selecting that which is an ideal electrical match, in terms of gain and loading, but more importantly, one with which it synergises, sonically. I suspect that the SUT's 'marriage' with the rest of your Luxman kit is a significant factor as to why the results you've achieved are so good.

However, it can take a long time to find the 'perfect' SUT, but when you do, everything can just click into place rather spectacularly, which is obviously what's happening now in your system, so well done!

I'm going to get some pics up soon, the arm is drop dead gorgeous, and Jeff made some mounting rings that go nicely with the tonearm base on my Lux...

Yup, some nice pics of the whole shebang would be great, including the Audiomods arm, as again I'm unfamiliar with that. Anyway, enjoy! :cool:

Marco.