PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone scam

shane
08-10-2008, 10:41
This is the text of an email I received this morning. I guess we've all seen things like this before, but there's nothing wrong with being cautious.

Subject: Please pass this on to everyone you know who owns a mobile.
Dear All

If you receive a phone call on your mobile from any person, saying that he or she is a company engineer, or telling that they're checking your mobile line, and you have to press #90 or #09 or any other number, end this call immediately without pressing any numbers.

There is a fraud company using a device that once you press #90 or #09 they can access your 'SIM' card and make calls at your expense.
Forward this message to as many colleagues, relatives and friends as you can, to stop it.

Many thanks for your time regarding this matter, take care and regards.

Phil Corris
Police Constable/Crime Prevention Officer

Marco
08-10-2008, 10:46
Shane, thank you very much for drawing this to our attention!

Marco.

Filterlab
08-10-2008, 11:34
Blimey, not this old one again, it rears its head every few months or so. Simply put (and this is a great guide to anything), if you're having no problem with any of your electronics and an engineer calls then it's a scam. It applies to anything whatsoever, cable, internet, landlines, mobiles etc etc.

it's amazes me that people still fall for these old tricks, but I guess that's what the scammers count on! :)

Cheers Shane.

shane
08-10-2008, 12:00
Fair enough, but since the original sender is a genuine officer of the Lancashire Constabulary it seemed reasonable to pass it on. If it's a hoax, you won't get any calls; if it isn't, you'll know what to do if you do.

Filterlab
08-10-2008, 13:49
I wasn't questioning your information, hence the last sentence.

Cotlake
08-10-2008, 19:45
Shane,

How do you know Phil Corris is genuine or that he originated the text?

Best wishes,

Greg