PDA

View Full Version : Woe is me

Macca
16-06-2011, 10:09
It never rains but it pours. Tuesday night the motor on my deck gives out during side 2 of 'Silk Degrees'. Annoying but I had my suspicions that it was on the way out so I've already got that covered with a sl1200 on the way from Scoobs

Then last night a mate calls me to tell me that he has blown up the Williams power amp I lent him.:steam: How bad is it? 'smoke came out.'

'snoke came out'

F.F.S :(

hifi_dave
16-06-2011, 10:13
I've seen a few of those in my time. It could just be a burnt out resistor, looking far worse than it is to fix.

On the other hand..:eek:

Macca
16-06-2011, 10:45
I've seen a few of those in my time. It could just be a burnt out resistor, looking far worse than it is to fix.

On the other hand..:eek:

The amp or the TT?

hifi_dave
16-06-2011, 10:49
I was thinking of the amp.

Many years ago we used to sell a couple of valve/tube amps ranges which would produce plumes of smoke when a tube went down. Sometimes this was quite spectaculr but was nothing more than a fusing resistor heating up the PCB.The repair was a new tube plus resistor - nothing major.

Macca
16-06-2011, 10:55

Many years ago we used to sell a couple of valve/tube amps ranges which would produce plumes of smoke when a tube went down. Sometimes this was quite spectaculr but was nothing more than a fusing resistor heating up the PCB.The repair was a new tube plus resistor - nothing major.

I'll take it into the shop when I get it back they will look at it for me but I don't hold out too much hope, Bummer as it was better than my LK100. Also I want a new cart on my new deck so just more expense...bloody hi-fi it's tempting to sell the lot and buy an Ipod....as if:lol:

Alex_UK
16-06-2011, 11:04
Feel for you Martin. New Washing Machine just ate my upgrade money. As did the new Dishwasher, tumble drier and fridge freezer before that. I'm not tempting fate by saying any more than that!

Let's hope it is nothing too serious with your amp.

hifi_dave
16-06-2011, 11:05
Look on the bright side, it might not be much at all.

Apart from some of the US amps we used to sell, the repair costs for a valve/tube amp are usually quite minimal. Nine times out of ten it's a tube and it's associated resistor, easily spotted as the faulty bits are often burnt. So it's the parts and an hour or so labour.

You can always blame your mate..:eyebrows:

Fingers crossed.

Spectral Morn
16-06-2011, 11:11

Happened to me once with my Audio Innovations Series 500. It looked worse than it was. The cure just as you say above.

Been there myself Martin a few years ago quite a few things went belly up at once. Hope it is all less bad than it looks.

Regards D S D L

Ali Tait
16-06-2011, 11:13
...and get him to pay for it!

Macca
16-06-2011, 11:14
It's a Mosfet amp doesn't have any valves. Or any protection circuitry which is how it got bust despite me warning him to be careful with cables. But don't worry, he'll pay - oh he'll pay all right:eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
16-06-2011, 11:16
It's a Mosfet amp doesn't have any valves. Or any protection circuitry which is how it got bust despite me warning him to be careful with cables. But don't worry, he'll pay - oh he'll pay all right:eyebrows:

:eek::doh: not good.

If it is down to him/her? I hope they offer to do the right thing rather than be forced to.

Regards D S D L

hifi_dave
16-06-2011, 11:20

Ooooops...:doh:

You said 'Williams' and I thought 'Williamson'... different thing completely.

Macca
16-06-2011, 11:21
:eek::doh: not good.

If it is down to him/her? I hope they offer to do the right thing rather than be forced to.

Regards D S D L

Well I've had it over a year with no problem and I got it from Ian (Walker) who'd used it no problems for I don't know how long. The bloke I lent it to is a good mate, a very old friend so we will sort something out, he is not skint.

Such a shame as I was wanting to try it out driving ny Ditton 44s.

Anyway thanks for the sympathy lads. Appreciated.:cool:

Reid Malenfant
16-06-2011, 12:34
Sad to hear this Martin, i doubt it'd be too expensive to fix though & it'll probably be both source resistors & one power mosfet. Not a biggy at the end of the day, but certainly an inconvenience :rolleyes:

A friend of mine payed over £400 for a new washing machine less than 2 weeks ago, it's already gone wrong :doh:

I asked him what make it was, Indesit he replied... Ah Hotpoint :eek: No surprise there then, get a Neff or Miele :lol:

Hope you get it sorted fella, quicktime :)

Macca
16-06-2011, 13:08
Cheers Mark just be glad I don't live closer or I would be knocking at your door with it:lol: