PDA

View Full Version : Gator Caiman / Grado 325 - opamp choice?

The Vinyl Adventure
08-06-2011, 19:31
First off ... Cheers Chris ... Got em today... cheers buddy!

WOW ... these things are detailed!
I had read there was only marginal difference between these and the 125's ... i know its a while since i flogged them but from memory these make the 125's sound slightly duff ... these seem much more neutral than the 125's ... i ended up selling the 125's (and almost swearing off headphones altogether) for how coloured i found them ... anyway these are MUCH better (from memory of course)

Just wondering if anyone can recommend/might like to flog me any opamps that might suit the grados best?

I have a ad626an(?) in at the mo ...

the problem is, this is for office use, where i shall be predominantly using spotify ... all well and good, apart from the fact im getting a touch of harshness that appears to be coming from the spotify ...

are there any that might add a smidgy of warmth?

at some stage i want to get a dedicated box of bottles to power these things, but for now the caiman will just have to suffice ... shucks .. HA :eek:;)

Im sorry, i know there are a trillion comments and threads on this ... but really ... have you tried wading through them to find specific info ... its a blinkin nightmare

----------------

edit

since trying to post this earlier and my wifi going a bit haywire i have found that some of the harshness has faded ... maybe the cans needed to warm up a bit ... they also sound perfectly good through the headphone out on the majik with flac so im def putting this down to spotify and caiman combo ...

any thoughts anyone?

StanleyB
08-06-2011, 19:45
I am using a THS4032 with a modified Gator. I am still busy tweaking it, but illness is preventing me from playing about in my workshop right now. Once I am happy with the results you can borrow my modded Gator to try out.

The Vinyl Adventure
08-06-2011, 20:05
Ooo that'd be loverly Stan ... Id not expected to have a issue with too much detail!

Hope it's nothing serious and you get better soon matey!!

The Grand Wazoo
08-06-2011, 23:15
First off ... Cheers Chris ... Got em today... cheers buddy!

WOW ... these things are detailed!
I had read there was only marginal difference between these and the 125's ... i know its a while since i flogged them but from memory these make the 125's sound slightly duff ... these seem much more neutral than the 125's ... i ended up selling the 125's (and almost swearing off headphones altogether) for how coloured i found them ... anyway these are MUCH better (from memory of course)

Hi mate, it's great that they arrived in one piece, eh!
Glad you're pleased with them. I used them with a slightly modified HiFi News Headcase headphone amp - only tried them with my Standac the one time. Detail is what I bought them for & as I said, if I was ever in the market for some more phones, I'd go looking for another pair of these. I compared them at the time with most of the rest of the Grado range & I thought they struck the best balance between performance & what I felt I might spend.

Hope you're very happy together!
Cheers

The Vinyl Adventure
09-06-2011, 18:56
Very happy so far cheers mate ... My ears feel like they are missing somthing from having the grados on my head most the day ...
Problem is, they sound a bit too good ... Got my self a bit hypnotised listening to "the emralds" today ... Kept on having to remind my self to concentrate on work .. Had to take them off in the end as the day it a bit too busy! :) can't be a bad thing!!!

Greg commented "wow! They sound like the music is coming from out side of them instead of just being too much in your head like most headphones are" ... Also a good thing I'd say!

Maximum
09-06-2011, 19:18
I ended up going back to the ad826 after trying the lm4562he for a while, it was just more musical and engaging, although the 4562 was quite clean and tidy. The Tacima block also seems to help things sound a touch more natural too.

Welcome to the 325 club. ;)