PDA

View Full Version : NAD 3020B or 7020i with Quad Electrostatics

combwork
03-10-2008, 11:01
Hi.

There used to be a handy compatability chart (I think from One Thing Audio?) that showed `safe' amplifiers to use with the ESL57. I had it saved in my favorites but it comes up 'Site Not Found'. Did anyone print it out (as I should have done but didn't)? The point is I've just acquired in a swop deal the following.

DUAL `Audiophile Concept' CS505-4 two speed record deck.
NAD 7020i Stereo Receiver (AM/FM).
NAD 6325 Stereo Cassette Deck.
Two HACKER Speakers type LS1100.

The deck has a cartridge marked DN 168E DUAL. There's a knurled collar at the back of the cartridge shell which undoes, but although the head moves, it does not seem happy about coming off. Is it just stiff (pull harder) or is there a way it should be removed? Perhaps it's best to leave it alone, but I'd like to know how to remove it if need be.

Can anyone tell me anything about the above? Particularily, would the amplifier be safe to use with the electrostatic speakers?

I'm guessing that the Hacker speakers are from an earlier set-up and were retained because of their sound. When they were made they were not cheap. I really would appreciate any information anyone can give me about the above............................... Jim.

Ali Tait
03-10-2008, 14:47
Can't comment on that amp,but I used to use an old wooden-sleeve Sugden A21 with my '57's,and I found that a very synegistic pairing.A good valve amp would be just the ticket too! :)

spendorman
07-11-2008, 18:55
This may be useful:

http://www.quadesl.org/Amplifiers/amplifiers.html

spendorman
07-11-2008, 19:20
I think that I would be careful with NAD 3020 etc. and Quad ESL 57. It would be horrible to damage the ESL. I have ESL 57s and the NAD 3020 and would not really risk it. An obvious and economical choice would be the Quad 303. (needs to be serviced to get the best possible sound).

If yours are early ESL 57s there is a Quad mod necessary before the speaker can be used with the 303 or any amplifier more powerful than the Quad II. Most speakers will have had this mod by now. I remember doing mine in the mid 70s with a kit from Quad.

The Quad 303 (when serviced) is a good amp with most speakers, but it is ideal for the ESL 57, to me it sounds better than the 405-2 with them.

The Quad II is nice with the ESL 57s, but prices are so high these days, same goes for the Radford STA25, which is my favourite with the ESL 57s

Beechwoods
07-11-2008, 19:28
I can't say anything about the Quad speaker / amp pairing question, but the NAD 6325 is a nice well regarded - basic transport - deck that should make some nice sounds if properly set up. Interesting tidbit... the NAD deck features a function called 'playtrim' which allows you to tweak the high-frequencies ahead of the dolby circuits. It'd certainly be interesting to have a play with.

kt66
16-12-2008, 22:15
if you get the latest 57 clamp board from Classique/One Thing you can use almost any tranny amp without fear of "arcing"

The best tranny amp I've heard with 57s was the Nait2