PDA

View Full Version : Tannoy .... JOY ....

Vinyleyes
03-06-2011, 13:45
Here is a tale going back couple of years ago now to shortly before I joined this forum and had just decided to resurrect my vinyl and turntable from underneath the stairs .. it having been there for nearly 15 years.

The beginning system was Radford STA 25, SME 20 Mk1, Kinshaw Perception phono, McCormack Mod Squad preamp, Castle Howard floorstanders with upward firing drivers … the only thing new was I went out and bought a Lyra Argo Cartride for the SME V arm ..
The sound in the beginning was very detailed and precise … but to my ears a bit cold and hard … and definitely lacking in involvement (although I have since learnt that my perception of cold and hard can be another persons delight in detail and crispness)..

So … the Castle Howards went away for new tweeters and rewiring at Wilmslow Audio … the Kinshaw went back to Peter for his upgrade .. and I continued to burn in the Lyra through borrowed home made valve phono stage from Nick G .. and my JBL L110’s. In this period I also went through pairs of NHT VT-2's and Dali floorstanders .. neither of which convinced me ,,, I also tried an Absolute Research SPD10 phono/preamp.. which brought some slight improvement over the Kinshaw/Mod Squad … but not enough to pay the reasonable 4 figure asking price.

Things evolved with the arrival of a bespoke Pre Amp .. “Little Martha” from Nick G….. some of you have heard this and can testify to its ability. The Castle Howards came back and are super speakers … well worth the upgrade price and the Wilmslow chappies were quite happy to tell me it would cost me 5G to buy a new pair of speakers their equivalent.
So by now I was fairly convinced I had almost all of the right ingredients in place but something was still missing …. That sense of involvement with the music …… that sense of being there … .. and then one evening after work, whilst sitting many miles from UK and browsing through the Ebay boards I spotted a pair of Tannoy Ardens for sale from a chap in London and ............... something stirred in me ....... :mental:

So I contacted him and we seemed to be on the same wavelength … they had been bought new by him in”79” and had had the surrounds properly done by Wembley speakers just a couple of years ago .. The chap had hardly used them he said as they had been too big for his room and they had been sitting in storage at his place of work for years …. … well .. I knew nothing about Tannoys .. but had heard and had had PM’s with several prominent members here about Tannoys … So I took the plunge … and put a bid in for just over a grand and then forgot about them. Well I won em’ .. I won them for the best 965 quid I have spent in a long time … I had to get them couriered up from London … and then up my stairs ..……. And they are quite simply bloody marvellous … :cool:

I had to completely rearrange my living room so that they now sit in the corners firing longways down .. and I had to move the TV and everything over from the fireplace to the other end of the room to go between them .. The sofa had to be turned 90 degress .. and now it is a little difficult to traverse the room … but WHO CARES haha …. The soundstage comes right to the back wall .. I can sit at the back of the room and it is like I have 2 more speakers next to my ears as I get what must be reflections off the back wall. … The atmosphere and presence that comes through these speakers is unbelievable … the sound is not perfect if you like the tightest bass .. or need that last ounce of total control .. but the sheer presence of the music conveyed is overwhelming ……….. and to use a word maybe understood by those who like it loud … uncivilized!

I have always listened to live music .. from the smallest pub to up front at the biggest festivals and my son who has a band and plays live regularly … both of us simply agreed instantly that this was the closest we had ever been to listening live coming from a home system …. I don’t have to worry about neighbours .. and we can crank this system as loud as we care to …

The defining moment though for them was when Nick G. came over for what turned into an allnighter .. and eventually we plugged in his 211 SET ….

Well ….. The Radford was good .. but just slightly ran out of steam as the volume got higher .. My Nak PA-7 absolutely nailed the bass … you could see those 15” drivers moving about an inch backwards and forwards !! ,, but it did lose bit at the top ….
Enter the 211 SET …. A marriage was consummated in seconds haha ,,,,,,,, Wow … super stuff … Dark Star came out .. Hendrix .. Zeppelin … 200g LP’s galore .. Folk Singer … and a CD from Edwina Hayes who has the sweetest voice I heard for a long time … everything was right there in the room … even inspired us to fire up my beloved Strat and Nick jammed his way through several recordings with some pretty decent Hendrix inspired impros .. .. we could not stop listening ……… and long before we had tired the dawn was shining brightly through the windows ..

So all I can say to anyone who has the space and control over their own living environment .. ;) ….. THINK about a pair of 15” Tannoys in decent sized cabs …….. turn it up to live music levels …. And rock on :eek: …………. They really do bring the music into your room as I had never heard before. Also .. anyone who reckons SET’s don’t do loud .. and don’t do bass … and cannot rock ….. well you should have been there. :eyebrows:

Base camp has now been reached on my ascent to the summit of my idea of superb sound …. The Tannoys are so revealing of any system change … and deserving of excellence in all aspects of input …….. So now the quest is on to improve the phono replay … and I will be listening to more of Nick’s offerings there … and I am also dreaming of a huge pair of SET’s to fully exploit what the Tannoys can deliver …. I know now that BIG and HEAVY SET’s can bang out a very decent bass with these speakers and I am happy to sacrifice that last ounce of bass definition to retain that SET sparkle …

Thanks must go to Nick G of course for his wonderful preamp and general helpful advice … Mark Grant who very kindly delivered my BD Oppo 95 and helped integrate it into the system as it was being put together .. and supplied a few cables for testing … and Dave Brook who very kindly lent me a bunch of cables to play around with .. and whose silver sounds speaker cables I decided on to run from the Tannoys.

And thanks also to all of you on AOS who contributed your thoughts and advice through PM’s and emails to me .. all of it was helpful in getting my system together after so long … and one that for the first time really rocks ….. and ……. most importantly ………... pleases me ..
Cheers guys …

PS … has anyone modded the Ardens .. particularly the x/overs .. and the speaker posts .. (they will only take 2.5mm cables) .. I would love to hear your findings.

Marco
03-06-2011, 14:16
Hi Brian,

Great story! Glad it all came together for ya :)

Nick told me he'd been round and very much enjoyed the sesh, and yes that preamp of his is something else :eek:

So all I can say to anyone who has the space and control over their own living environment .. ….. THINK about a pair of 15” Tannoys in decent sized cabs …….. turn it up to live music levels …. And rock on …………. They really do bring the music into your room as I had never heard before.

Hehehe... Tell me about it! NO speakers I've heard, whether it be the best commercial box speakers, costing tens of thousands of pounds, DIY statics or OBs, rock like big 15" Tannoys, when played at near 'live gig' levels - not even close! It's why I use and love them :cool:

Apart from the fact that they sound so bloody musically addictive and 'real', it's the sheer scale they can muster with the right music, so that you 'feel' the music, as much as you hear it. The effect is beguiling with anything with a deep bass line :eyebrows:

Anyway, enjoy... Trust me, you've got plenty more to come with a crossover upgrade! :gig:

Marco.

Ali Tait
03-06-2011, 14:49
Aye that pre of Nick's is easily the best I've ever heard. I want one!

lurcher
03-06-2011, 14:50
Its not mine, its Brians :-)

John
03-06-2011, 15:11
Marco you have to come down sometime mine rock really hard and you know how much I like to rock Lol

Marco
03-06-2011, 15:25
Lol - defo, mate. Yours are probably the only OBs I think that would give me the MASSIVE scale and visceral impact I'm used to - it's that 'pin you to wall' effect, and rush of adrenalin (remember the old Maxell tape ads?), as the (totally controlled) sheer sound pressure levels, and low-frequency slam, rearrange your insides and almost make you feel ill, which gives me a woody!! :eek: :lol:

F*ckin yee-hah...!!! :fingers: :rave: :fingers: :gig:

Marco.

Ali Tait
03-06-2011, 16:10
Its not mine, its Brians :-)

Aye, but it's your design. :lolsign:

DSJR
03-06-2011, 19:18
Tannoy Ard-ons eh :D

If you've had those bass cones moving an INCH back and forth, I suspect you're totally deaf by now and could go to a Bose Acoustimess Boom-Box and not tell the difference :lol:

Make sure the driver foams are intact and ONLY send them to Lockwoods when they need doing. They're not really touting for business, but they present a very good argument in favour of a complete cone/coil assembly replacement as and when.

Vinyleyes
04-06-2011, 03:20
Tannoy Ard-ons eh :D

If you've had those bass cones moving an INCH back and forth, I suspect you're totally deaf by now and could go to a Bose Acoustimess Boom-Box and not tell the difference :lol:

Make sure the driver foams are intact and ONLY send them to Lockwoods when they need doing. They're not really touting for business, but they present a very good argument in favour of a complete cone/coil assembly replacement as and when.

HaHa .... well maybe I was exaggerating a little bit you know .... the night was getting late ... :lol: ... but they do move some air don't they.

jantheman
04-06-2011, 17:16
Re..... in particular reference to Tannoys or any speakers (or other things in life). Size does matter......;)

DSJR
04-06-2011, 17:35
Lovely. My wife awaits a lottery win so I can get some Cheviots, which would actually look quite good in our sitting room - ahem...

DNE
07-06-2011, 15:53
Hi Brian,

No mention of the slabs in your setup?

Dean

tannoy man
07-06-2011, 21:22
Iv been using Ardens for years and the biggest improvement was when I changed the crossovers for a pair of Monacor DNH-185. They were a cheapish PA/HI FI Crossover and I didnt expect much of a change, but I was wrong.
Another upgrade was using my mission Speaker cable inside the cabs, Soldering directly to the Hi and Low speaker Terminals ( you have to remove the Plastic Covers ) and fitting XLR Sockets on the back of the Speakers.
I dont know if the Monacors are still available but I have a circuit diagram
and Im sure you could get a pair made up with top notch componants.

DSJR
07-06-2011, 21:49
It's on the net, but the standard crossovers can be upgraded without too much hassle, the baffle mounted switches bypassed once the optimum level-rolloff setting is arrived at.

tannoy man
30-06-2011, 17:13
Update, the Monacor DNH 185 is still available and it's a High Pass Filter to use
on the high frequency Horn.