PDA

View Full Version : Brevity vs superficiality. How blogs & fora differ in this respect

Neil McCauley
01-06-2011, 09:56
I think that many here would agree that too great a focus on brevity can lead to superficiality, misunderstanding and a dilution of impact. On the other hand the world seems to be moving towards reduced attention spans. The question is – how does one strike the optimum balance between brevity and clarity given that reduced attention span?

One approach adopted by online newspapers and the BBC site is to have a subject line that tells to reader if it isn’t relevant, followed by a pithy paragraph to reinforce the previous decision and then the body text. It seems to work there.

Curious then to see that in nearly every audiophile forum, and not just UK ones, there are a vocal minority who seem to resent this approach where the full content can only accessed by clicking another link. This doesn’t seem to be the case re blog readers though; only forum readers. Why might this be do you suppose?

WAD62
01-06-2011, 10:00
I think that many here would agree that too great a focus on brevity can lead to superficiality, misunderstanding and a dilution of impact. On the other hand the world seems to be moving towards reduced attention spans. The question is – how does one strike the optimum balance between brevity and clarity given that reduced attention span?

One approach adopted by online newspapers and the BBC site is to have a subject line that tells to reader if it isn’t relevant, followed by a pithy paragraph to reinforce the previous decision and then the body text. It seems to work there.

Curious then to see that in nearly every audiophile forum, and not just UK ones, there are a vocal minority who seem to resent this approach where the full content can only accessed by clicking another link. This doesn’t seem to be the case re blog readers though; only forum readers. Why might this be do you suppose?

Perhaps because a 'Forum' is a vehicle for 'conversation', whereas a blog is more suited to 'presentation'...

Neil McCauley
01-06-2011, 10:21
Perhaps because a 'Forum' is a vehicle for 'conversation', whereas a blog is more suited to 'presentation'...

Yes, I think that's it. Thank you. Frankly I'm uncertain that I'd have spotted this myself or indeed if I had, would have been able to sum it up as cogently as you have. I'm taking this on-board right now and I think might positively influence my relationship with AoS and its members. So ... thank you again. Sincerely, Howard.

Tim
01-06-2011, 10:27
That's a very succinct description.

jandl100
01-06-2011, 17:14
That's a very succinct description.

Yup, and it made for a very succinct thread as well. :)

MartinT
01-06-2011, 19:04
Indeed ;)

Tim
02-06-2011, 00:20
:lolsign:

Rare Bird
02-06-2011, 00:30
Excuse me i'm thick (i have trouble with words more that 3 letters) :lolsign: whats this thread about? :)

Effem
02-06-2011, 04:42
Excuse me i'm thick (i have trouble with words more that 3 letters) :lolsign: whats this thread about? :)

A tad too much introspection methinks :rolleyes: