PDA

View Full Version : eBay. A little aspect you might not be aware of

Neil McCauley
25-05-2011, 16:57
I recently I discovered an ‘undocumented benefit’ – as some software makers are apt to say. It’s not a benefit. It is though, unspecified. This thread relates to charity donations on sold items via eBay.

If like me you sell an item and pledge 100% to the charity of your choice (very easy on the eBay system) or any percentage it seems – and the buyer does not pay – then you – the seller will still have the unpaid sale price to your nominated charity and this is automatically taken from your PayPal account.

In my instance I sold my Denon DD twice and paid 100% to the charity twice including the winning bid which never arrived here. No sweat; the charity and their deaf children will benefit. However for those perhaps in a different position from me, this situation might be dismaying. And so now you know.

Reid Malenfant
25-05-2011, 17:29
I'm not a seller on ebay, but cheers for the heads up Howard :eek: Always best to know these things just in case!

Audioman
25-05-2011, 20:32
Thanks for the info. It hardly encourages people to donate money to charity when they take money you didn't raise in the first place. Do they give you a receipt so you can claim it off your tax return ?

Neil McCauley
25-05-2011, 21:12
Thanks for the info. It hardly encourages people to donate money to charity when they take money you didn't raise in the first place. Do they give you a receipt so you can claim it off your tax return ?

You can easily print-off from the PayPal statement. No issue re that aspect at all.

Neil McCauley
26-05-2011, 03:11
And then out of the blue - and jut-like-that, a refund arrived in my PayPal account just now! I wonder how that happened, and why, and why now? The latent power of AoS perhaps?