PDA

View Full Version : Followers of Fashion?

doodoos
19-05-2011, 17:58
As you know, audio forums often throw up products that become the next best thing for a year or two before slowly dying away to be followed by the next rave. Members buy into it, often on recommendation only, and positive comments reinforce the process.
Has anyone had cause to regret a purchase made in the heat of the moment from a forum 'must have' bargain? Do tell!!

Marco
19-05-2011, 18:06
Hi Robin,

Great thread topic! Could you do me a favour though, and add your basic location details to your profile? This is now required from all members :)

Cheers, matey! :cool:

Marco.

Tim
19-05-2011, 18:45
Well I think I can honestly say that this is the only forum that has ever influenced me to buy anything and none of my purchases were bought in the heat of the moment either.......... every one has been an absolute gem and I am extremely pleased with everything. In fact at this present moment I am over the moon with my most recent purchase influenced by AoS members :)

technobear
19-05-2011, 19:32
The Lavry DA10 was once such a forum flavour of the moment. I was disappointed. It failed to outplay my Slim Devices Transporter and was sold on in short order.

I find that when reading recommendations from fellow forumites, it's a good idea to do some research into the people making the comments to build up a picture of their likes and dislikes and how these compare to your own. This can be done by discovering their musical tastes and reading their reviews of other products with which you might be familiar.

Reid Malenfant
19-05-2011, 19:38
I find that when reading recommendations from fellow forumites, it's a good idea to do some research into the people making the comments to build up a picture of their likes and dislikes and how these compare to your own. This can be done by discovering their musical tastes and reading their reviews of other products with which you might be familiar.
You'd think that musical tastes should have nothing to do with it, but i'm with you on this one Chris. After all speakers should reproduce what is fed to them, but there lays the crux. If someone just listens to jazz then they probably won't really be interested in in what goes on at 20Hz as the music isn't likely to contain frequencies that low.

Where as i would due to what i listen to ;)

Valid point :)

Jac Hawk
23-05-2011, 10:36
You'd think that musical tastes should have nothing to do with it, but i'm with you on this one Chris. After all speakers should reproduce what is fed to them, but there lays the crux. If someone just listens to jazz then they probably won't really be interested in in what goes on at 20Hz as the music isn't likely to contain frequencies that low.

I think it also depends on what is being recommended, if it's speakers then yes i would agree with you Mark, as music can sound different on different speakers, however other things are more tricky, cables and inter-connectors, focusing rings etc. for me it depends largely on who is giving the advice and what it is likely going to cost, if it's a cheap thing like the belkin cables then i'll go on blind faith and hope for the best, more expensive means more research by me, to be honnest though most things that are suggested tend to be small and cheap less than £50 say, and tend to be enhancements to what you've already got, rather than a new set of speakers, personally speaking i've bought the Belkin Pure A/V cables and a Nagaoka cartridge due to suggestions from this site and i'm over the moon with both. :)

chris@panteg
23-05-2011, 10:54
Cough , Technics SL1210 , Cough :eyebrows:

Rare Bird
23-05-2011, 11:00
I agree Robin forums are full of it.Aparently people don't have brains these days or at least their own minds.

chris@panteg
23-05-2011, 11:06
Andre , have you seen this one :eyebrows:

OmvrFg-EhmI

Marco
24-05-2011, 07:28
Cough , Technics SL1210 , Cough :eyebrows:

Lol! I can't think of many people though who've bought a Techy, on the advice of folk here, and modified it, and not been really happy with the results :)

But yes, I agree that the 'following of fashion' is stupid, whether it be with what's hyped-up on forums, magazines, or wherever. I abhor 'sheep-like' mentality of any description. Some folk are just lazy though and can't be arsed thinking for themselves :rolleyes:

However, there are leaders and followers in all aspects of life, not just hi-fi. I certainly know which category I come into! ;)

Marco.

Covenant
24-05-2011, 07:42
I have been disappointed with some of the 'flavour of the month' cables. Not on this forum but Gotham was one heavily promoted and Silver Breed another. The latter was covered with xmas tinsel and shed bits everywhere. Sticking to NVA sound pipes from now on.

Marco
24-05-2011, 07:44
Not that you need to change, Jerry, but you wouldn't go wrong with Mark Grant's cables either. Those of course are regularly recommended on here, but for a very good reason...! :)

Marco.

John
24-05-2011, 08:00
One of the things I like about AOS is whilst it has plenty of people who are into Beresfor or the 1210 it also has room for the Mavericks like myself Lol

Marco
24-05-2011, 08:49
Yup - lol, and plenty of others, too! :eyebrows:

We all have our 'fav things', but products like the Beresford DAC and Techy are widely used and recommended here quite simply because they are superb products, offering outstanding sound-per-pound value, especially when judiciously modified.

That's why our members here use them - not because they're following some 'sheep-like' trend ;)

Marco.