Taking into account everything inc.
Sound quality
Completeness - do you require anything else to make it whole
How well you feel you have achieved what you set out to achive with it
If you would like to upgrade
The way it looks
The way it works in your room
How much the missis likes it in terms of aesthetics

Interested in comments about what you might change to help, but realise that's a can of worms so just a vote would do...

I am very happy with my main system ... I already miss it having a turntable, but because Hannah is more happy now I find it more relaxing in the living room when it's on ...
Also the room is a lot less cluttered and this helps me relax and not worry about anything in terms of sound quality too much
The only down side of these speakers for me is the bass is there but not quite real ... Although it's not far off for my tastes and doesn't bother me really
I also need to lay some of the cables under the floor to get it really tidy

So, 9 out of 10 ... Based on the fact that really I wouldn't change anything about it now and that I think a 10 is basically unobtainable ...

I feel a little like I'm alone in being so happy with my kit ... Or is it just that the people who are so happy don't go on about it as much as I do :)

The Vinyl Adventure
19-05-2011, 08:57
And the first thing I do is tick the wrong box with my fat finger on the iPhone screen ... Ha ... Can that be changed?

WAD62
19-05-2011, 10:00
I'll go for 7.5, and with rounding therefore 8 ;)

Aesthetics;

Not bad, most of my kit is black Audiolab, so whilst not looking pretty it does look purposeful, is neatly matched & occupies one stand, and is nicely tucked to the side of the room. Even my linn turntable, and Rotel phono stage are a nice co-ordinated match. My speakers are highly modified mission 753's so they have a reasonably small footprint in the room.

Usability & Integration;

Absolutely superb, SB receiver/FLAC into my DAC is completely controllable via the new SqueezeCommander Android app on my HTC Desire (new version just came out last week, much faster with local artwork caching). Additionally the whole stereo setup is integrated into my 5.1 system for AV playback, superb when watching the projector in the living room, the screen hangs perfectly between my front speakers.

Sound Quality;

Could be improved, I've had my DAC and preamp upgraded, I've pretty much sorted out most of the cabling, replaced any SMPS power supplies with linear ones, and am using mains conditioners (not the best perhaps, but the Pareto principal and all that). So I don't think there's a great deal wrong with my source and amplification, Ok obviously one can improve on anything but it's pretty well sorted for clarity and detail, in the context of its cost. I think the weakest links in my current configuration are the speakers, I've improved upon the original mission 753's, initially replacing all the bass drivers with monacor ones, and also the tweeters with silk monitor audio ones to great effect, better bass, smoother top end, more responsive, 'I've never heard it so good!' ...but I think there's a limit to what one can do with this type of speaker. The only other thing I'm thinking of doing is putting some sound damping at the back of the room, I'll let the missus pick some sort of artwork for that.

So in short my next move will be a speaker upgrade, and I watch all these discussions about OBs etc with great interest, or alternatively go for one of Wilmslow audio's top end kits...the one sure thing is that it will not be cheap, so I'm going to take my time and see if I can get something that the missus can deal with, and that will last me another 15 years or so as the old missions have. ;)

P.S. Projector screen pulls down from above bay window, and yes the bay probably doesn't help the sound, hence the speakers are pulled away from it, and are toed in slightly...oh and I normally keep the covers on them, so they do look a little more discrete :)

Reid Malenfant
19-05-2011, 10:21
9 out of 10, the only thing i really want to upgrade are the speakers & there is nothing i could buy unless it was bespoke that will perform like the ones i'm going to build :eyebrows: I'm still happy with the ones i have now though :)

WAD62
19-05-2011, 10:25
9 out of 10, the only thing i really want to upgrade are the speakers & there is nothing i could buy unless it was bespoke that will perform like the ones i'm going to build :eyebrows: I'm still happy with the ones i have now though :)

What are you going to build, when are you going to build them, and can I have a pair? ;)

Yoga
19-05-2011, 10:28
I'll vote when the Burson HA-160D and Audez LCD-2s are here :¬)

Welder
19-05-2011, 10:28
Am I allowed to vote in this given I have a stereo system? :scratch:

Reid Malenfant
19-05-2011, 10:33
What are you going to build, when are you going to build them, and can I have a pair? ;)
Bit complicated that one :lol: I'm getting stuff together now so hopefully not too far in the future.

You can have a pair if you buy two pairs of NS1000Ms, 4 x Monacor SPH225C drivers, 4 x CSS SDX15 SubDuction subwoofers & then pay me to put it all together :) You better win the lottery first :lolsign:

chris@panteg
19-05-2011, 10:37
6 out of 10 for me , my set up is very much multi media , pc and tv etc , and its not possible to set up the way i would ideally like it , so there are a few compromises which i can put up with , Wifey tolerates me having it , just .

Very happy with the digital and video side of the system , but the vinyl side , at the moment is underachieving i feel , it just ain't gelling and i find myself not wanting to listen to it for very long , different story in my AV system where i thoughly enjoy my little QL1 .

WAD62
19-05-2011, 10:40
Am I allowed to vote in this given I have a stereo system? :scratch:

I think that's covered by the dictionary definition of main John :lol:

You better win the lottery first :lolsign:

How about a ticket as a down payment...I think my next move will indeed take some saving up for :)

Butuz
19-05-2011, 11:50
I am giving mine an 8 simply because it only cost me approx £1000 all in, and I think it sounds great for that money. I think room for slight improvement by moving from a 7520 to a Gator Caiman and getting Mark Grant Interconnects but they can wait for now as I am happy.

Butuz

John
19-05-2011, 12:07
For me it can never be a perfect 10 we constantly chasing the illusion of the perfect sound, its a addiction that some of us have worse than others.
Astehtics
System a bit messy looking not going to win any awards for style. I am not really a visual learner so not really a issue for me. I could do with giving the wiring a whole tidy up , But I do not judge a book by its cover.
Completness would be getting my TT up and running again I hope to resolve that latter today
Intergration Excellent Its a simple set up but works really well
Sound Well as you know very happy. The system rocks hard yet seduces you when required Its an extremly well balanced system.
Its always hard knowing where it can go next I think I taken the speakers as far as I can go perhaps a better dac and pre at some point but think I am just chasing shadows with this

Macca
19-05-2011, 12:12
I've voted mine a '6' although I am pretty happy with the sound I'm getting especially from vinyl now I have the RCM and a new needle - was listening non-stop to records for 5 hours last night so that says something...

Aesthetics - its a mess but so is the room and the rest of the house for that matter - kit is piled everywhere incluidng in some of the kitchen cupboards - also I have 4 computers in the lounge although I have just managed to kick one of them down the stairs so that is one problem solved.

No WAF, y'see, so things get out of hand...

I've nearly got all the bits I need to hook up my new Ditton 44 properly (stands arrived yesterday) so will be all change again this weekend:eyebrows:

Cliff
19-05-2011, 12:14
I voted a 7, assuming that I have never been at the 10 level. Maybe I was 9.5 a couple of times in the past when things were almost perfect.
Need to work on my Techy a bit more, maybe cartridge as well, maybe electronics, to climb a few notches on the satisfaction scale.
Seriously interested in these speakers which I might eventually get if the price isn't too prohibitive. Only ones I am really interested in besides mine. Like mine they are single=driver, but unlike mine they are field coil, and unlike mine, they are horn.
Maybe these would jump me up to a 8.5--9.

technobear
19-05-2011, 20:29
10/10 here. Not planning on changing anything for a long time. It's stunning.

sparrow
19-05-2011, 22:05
I'm rasonably happy with my humble gear. Only gripe is the Missions distorting slightly on certain pieces of music..drives me mad sometimes.

Tim
19-05-2011, 22:26
9/10.............. I don't think I'm far off 10/10 either, a few more tweaks to do, but I'm happier at the moment than I have ever been with my system :)

I've never been a box swapper, as the music is the most important thing for me.

EDIT: What I can say however, is if you had asked me that question before I joined AoS, I would have only said 6/10.

MartinT
19-05-2011, 22:44
Very, very happy with my system - I just listen to the music. 9/10 as there is no such thing as perfection.

colinB
19-05-2011, 22:54
Im happy with my new AVI Neutron 2.1 system. Always wanted monitor/sub system that works in a small room. It might not be audiophile but its a easy clean sounding system . I can run spotify through the usb socket and play cds and movies through my playstation. Looks great to with the tv sitting on the sub between the speakers and the Technics at the side of the room. All i could wish for.
I do intend on improving my record player now i have upgraded but i feel relaxed with what i have.

Batty
19-05-2011, 23:16
I chose 7/10 because I'm not so sure about the streaming side and I think my analogue source could handle a better cartridge but financial limitations rule.

The overall sound I am happy with but the room needs some attention too, but being in a rental property is a bit limiting.

chelsea
19-05-2011, 23:35
9 for me.

Very happy with it and if someone said i couldn't ever change any of it i wouldn't be fussed.

WOStantonCS100
20-05-2011, 00:18
8 for me...

If I had to stop right now and just live with what I've got going, I'd be okay for life. Sure, I've got projects on the bench and upgrades planned. Even so, right now, I'm more than pleased. What follows (with the exception of my loudspeakers, which my cans make up for) is really just "seasoning for variety".

Thing Fish
20-05-2011, 00:47
Will have to live with what I've got at least for the next 10 years.

Would love to go moving coil but will never be able to do so. So will have to live with a moving magnet cartridge.

Its ok though as I believe most upgrades are bunkum...!

Slippershod
20-05-2011, 09:12
also I have 4 computers in the lounge although I have just managed to kick one of them down the stairs so that is one problem solved.

:D (not laughing at you - but with you, I hope...)

Batty
20-05-2011, 09:23
Will have to live with what I've got at least for the next 10 years.

Would love to go moving coil but will never be able to do so. So will have to live with a moving magnet cartridge.

Its ok though as I believe most upgrades are bunkum...!

It cost my under $100aussie to add a DIY SUT to allow me to go MC

HighFidelityGuy
20-05-2011, 09:40
I went for 6 looking at it from a completeness point of view. I'm still not happy with my mains power, that needs more work. Improving that would take me to 7. I want to finally get vinyl playback added. That would take me to 7.5 or 8 depending on how successful it is. I want to improve my digital source as I'm not convinced I'm getting the best out of my PC. That would take me to 8.5 or 9. I would then be happy that I'm getting the best I can out of my system until I move to a bigger house. I would then work on better speaker placement and acoustics to add the finishing touches.

When It comes to scoring my main system on sound quality alone I'd give it an 8. I'd just like a bit more clarity and a more expansive sound stage. I'm hoping the extra clarity will come from improving the mains quality and digital source. That should also help the sound stage a bit but I don't think I'll be able to improve that much more until I get a wider listening room.

Alex_UK
20-05-2011, 11:14
I've gone for 7.

Digital Sources Happy with this, Marantz spinner into Caiman does a fab job, although I've gone back to the passive mode from the Gator as I still don't think my amp and the Gator are entirely happy together. I will probably build a "music" PC to replace the laptop as some point, although I have no real desire to go the File Based Audio route and re-rip 3,000 odd CDs to FLAC...

Vinyl This is where I should be putting my efforts - into the Garrard 401 - a service & Russ Collinson plinth are on the cards. For sentimental reasons I'm inclined to stick with the SME 3009 but I would also like to try something different (Jelco, probably.) I might even do both, as I find multiple armed decks fascinating for some reason...

Amp This is where the next change will take place I think, although I really rate the modern Creeks, despite being made in China... I may try a Croft or Quad power amp, with Caiman as pre for serious digital listening, keeping the Creek as pre for Vinyl/convenience.

Speakers - the best change I've ever made was getting the Spendor SP1's - I shall be really interested in comparing them to the Harbeth Super HL5's - the best speakers I think I've ever heard - they share very similar design philosophies and layout, and I don't think they are that far away. They're keepers. :) A set of Something Solid open-frame stands when I have decided on new sofas for the living room, and know what height I will need. (That said, if I suddenly find £3k burning a hole in my pocket I'll be straight onto hifi_dave for a set of those Harbeth Super HL5's in Tiger Ebony... Mind you, I haven't heard the Monitor 40s yet... :)

Cables & Ancillaries - Don't feel any need to change from the mainly Mark Grant sourced wires - the Belkin stuff is good, and a bit of fun, but I don't think any better so far in my tests, and I'm generally not a believer in spending a fortune on bits of "wanky wire" (to use a Gazjam phrase! ;))

I think the interesting thing for a lot of us is how much our systems have changed since joining the forum and getting all the excellent advice and knowledge from here - I don't think I could go back now to the system I had 2 years ago! Thanks chaps! :)

Jonboy
20-05-2011, 16:51
I still enjoy box swapping i just can't help myself i'm very nosey you see, so will give it a 7 at the moment that said i do like my Tannoys as the serve a good base for trying out various things and i keep going back to the Audio Note amps.

I'm really enjoying The Trio solid stater through the DCM's in my office den, this thing is unbaleavable and cost nothing its just been modified very well , i very nearly sold the DCM's a couple of months ago as well, just goes to prove that putting the right amp on the end of them really helps, all i'm runniing is a few bits of odd interconnects joined together from the headphone socket of a PC and playing Spotify premium, sounds unplausable :scratch:, the bass off axis is mad from these transmission lines.

Or perhaps it sounds like i'm just talking bollocks as usual, and i havn't had a drop of the alclehol type stuff yet

i think i might be drifting back to the dark side of solid state amps :eek::confused:

Reid Malenfant
20-05-2011, 16:55
Or perhaps it sounds like i'm just talking bollocks as usual, and i havn't had a drop of the alclehol type stuff yet
Or perhaps that crack on the head has knocked some sense into you :lolsign:

Hope it's getting better Jon ;)

MartinT
20-05-2011, 16:55
i think i might be drifting back to the dark side of solid state amps :eek::confused:

;)

kininigin
20-05-2011, 17:07
I've gone for 6 as i have just sold my beresford dac and am now using a cheap usb dac i bought to use with my laptop a while ago from hotaudio i think.Im not really settled on the speakers i want yet,money being the problem at the moment as i use actives so need to spend a fair bit to better what i have,which were a bit of an experiment.

Not quite found a cart for the 1200 that im 100% happy with and a few other tweeks are needed.

MartinT
20-05-2011, 17:13
Not quite found a cart for the 1200 that im 100% happy with and a few other tweeks are needed.

If you're using the Techie arm have you considered a Denon DL-110?

magiccarpetride
20-05-2011, 17:17
Just out of interest ... How happy are you with your main system

Taking into account everything inc.
Sound quality
Completeness - do you require anything else to make it whole
How well you feel you have achieved what you set out to achive with it
If you would like to upgrade
The way it looks
The way it works in your room
How much the missis likes it in terms of aesthetics

Interested in comments about what you might change to help, but realise that's a can of worms so just a vote would do...

I am very happy with my main system ... I already miss it having a turntable, but because Hannah is more happy now I find it more relaxing in the living room when it's on ...
Also the room is a lot less cluttered and this helps me relax and not worry about anything in terms of sound quality too much
The only down side of these speakers for me is the bass is there but not quite real ... Although it's not far off for my tastes and doesn't bother me really
I also need to lay some of the cables under the floor to get it really tidy

So, 9 out of 10 ... Based on the fact that really I wouldn't change anything about it now and that I think a 10 is basically unobtainable ...

I feel a little like I'm alone in being so happy with my kit ... Or is it just that the people who are so happy don't go on about it as much as I do :)

I give my system 9 out of 10 when it comes to playing back well recorded, well mixed, well mastered music. However, I give it 6 out of 10 when it comes to playing back shitty material. Shitty material makes me cringe when I hear it on my system. Oddly, I don't cringe when I listen to the same shitty material on iPhone with those horrendous white earbuds. But put on well recorded material and listen to it through the hellish white earbuds, and your heart breaks.

There is a school of thought that insists that an ultra high-end system must be so good, that it makes even a turd sound like a heavenly choir. Any truth in that? If yes, then my system is far from being anywhere near good.

Jonboy
20-05-2011, 17:24
Or perhaps that crack on the head has knocked some sense into you :lolsign:

Hope it's getting better Jon ;)

Thanks Mark, nice and crusty with a good thick scab now and ripe for picking soon

Reid Malenfant
20-05-2011, 17:28
There is a school of thought that insists that an ultra high-end system must be so good, that it makes even a turd sound like a heavenly choir. Any truth in that? If yes, then my system is far from being anywhere near good.
You can't polish a turd :eyebrows: A really good system will unfortunately show up the problems more than a mediocre system. Whether this makes it unlistenable is down to the listener :scratch:

kininigin
20-05-2011, 17:53
If you're using the Techie arm have you considered a Denon DL-110?

Im using a jelco arm atm martin,wouldn't i need a sut to use a denon cart?
Not sure i want to go down that route as of yet anyway.

Im looking for a big and bouncy sort of sound with a firm grip on bass but can be 'intimate' and show up fine details as well,can this be possible from a MM?

colinB
20-05-2011, 18:05
Not sure i want to go down that route as of yet anyway.

Im looking for a big and bouncy sort of sound with a firm grip on bass but can be 'intimate' and show up fine details as well,can this be possible from a MM?

Tried AT120 and Ortofon 2m on a Jelco. All good but its the Goldring 2500 that put a smile on my chops. Best bargain of ebay, one careful owner.

kininigin
20-05-2011, 18:18
Tried AT120 and Ortofon 2m on a Jelco. All good but its the Goldring 2500 that put a smile on my chops. Best bargain of ebay, one careful owner.

hi colin,the nagaoka im using atm is nice but i find myself sort of losing interest in what im listening to.Im not looking for something which shouts from the roof tops 'look at me' but something which is engaging and keeps your attention.

The goldring is out of my price range atm (as is everything i want :lol:) but will consider it for the future.

Beechwoods
20-05-2011, 18:35
I give mine 6. I'm a hard taskmaster. The main reason being I can't play it loud enough most of the time to know how it really sounds. Only because I only get to listen to it at night after the kids have gone to bed. Very frustrating. I know it sounds pretty good for a small room setup compared with others I've heard, but that's all academic given I have to play it so low :(

colinB
20-05-2011, 18:36
Im a bit calmer these days and find it pretty smooth.

Rare Bird
20-05-2011, 18:41
I don't give a sh*t really, i use the toys i like, sounds like i want it to, why loose any sleep?

Greatest thing is it cost me peanutz.

MartinT
20-05-2011, 19:03

No, the DL-110 is a high output MC cartridge which is why I recommended it. Would sound good in the Jelco, too.

kininigin
20-05-2011, 19:33
No, the DL-110 is a high output MC cartridge which is why I recommended it. Would sound good in the Jelco, too.

ahh i see,i'll look into it,thanks martin.

Jonboy
20-05-2011, 19:56
I don't give a sh*t really, i use the toys i like, sounds like i want it to, why loose any sleep?

Greatest thing is it cost me peanutz.

Thatz my boy, i finking the same brov wiv me Trio, fing is though bro u pay peanuts u get monkeyz :booty:

Welder
20-05-2011, 20:08
I must confess, this thread is fascinating, not for what’s in it but for what isn’t.

How are people judging their happiness with their system?

If people are discontent with the sound it makes then one would assume they’ve heard something better. If that’s the case then they’ve obviously come to some sort of scale of system performance. So, if someone has a satisfaction level of 70% for example does this mean they’ve heard a system that they consider to be a 30% improvement?

To my ears and in my experience with the system level average on this forum I wouldn’t expect a gap of more than say 10% between the subjectively worst performing and the best; to be 50% less say, I reckon a complete channel would have to be missing or something seriously broken :scratch:

Perhaps people have expectations of how “the best systems” sound. The answer for that of course is to go and have a listen. I think for those who haven’t done this they would be quite shocked by just how little difference there is between various levels of performance and price.

I realize there are other considerations for many such as how the system looks and the cost to performance ratio should probably be in there somewhere. I would be pretty upset if I had spent £100,000 on my system and some person shows up with a system that is 95% as good for £10,000. Believe it or not this is the norm, that extra £90,000 doesn’t buy you much.

So, for those of you who have marked your satisfaction as 70% or less, I cant help but wonder what it is you’ve heard and what you’re expecting.
Please don’t say “I want it to sound like live music” :doh:

MartinT
20-05-2011, 20:55
If people are discontent with the sound it makes then one would assume they’ve heard something better.

That's the only sensible way to set the rating John, in my opinion. By giving my system 9/10 I'm saying there's about 10% to go for judging by the very best systems I've ever heard.

Comparing with live music is pointless. Nothing gets close, so our expectations are not set at that level.

Cliff
20-05-2011, 21:07
I voted a 7 on my satisfaction and what I am comparing to is my previous system, which at its best I would rate at maybe a 9.5.
I had to downgrade or downsize quite considerably for financial reasons and am now slowly rebuilding but on a much lower cost plan.
Not sure it will work, but hope so.

And I would just argue that, based on the gear I have owned in the past, there is a world of difference in performance and thus satisfaction possible in upper level audio gear. No offense intended to anyone, but the lowliest TT on this forum, whatever that would be, would seem like a child's noisemaker compared to my previous rig. There is literally no practical comparison.

So I for one completely disagree with you. If you think all gear sounds similar or about the same, you either have never heard the best gear, can't hear very well, or just aren't really very interested in quality playback.
By "you" I mean anyone, nobody in particular.

I want my Techy to approach what my old TT would do, but it ain't even in the ballpark yet.

Tim
20-05-2011, 21:09
Comparing with live music is pointless. Nothing gets close, so our expectations are not set at that level.
Totally agree, nothing can ever compare to a live performance.

I have to say that I feel there are many people who will never be 100% content with whatever they have, or could have given a free choice - that's just human nature and a trait not exclusive to Hi-Fi.

DSJR
20-05-2011, 21:17
Nothing can compare to a live performance because the studio experience compresses dynamics to hell and high water so the recordings can be played on a cheap-n-nasty stereo bought from the likes of Argos, Comet or Currys (in the UK)..

I'm delighted with my stereo for many-faceted reasons. I'm emotionally linked to the memories of many of the bits and, although I know it can easily be bettered, it would cost me thousands of pounds I'll never again have to do so. I never lose sleep over it and enjoy tinkering instead.

At the end of the day, I'm having musical highs I haven't had in many a long year and the sound at the now necessary low volume levels is better than either of the ATC actives I had - both of the latter needed to be turned up for best effect, the 100A's especially.

magiccarpetride
20-05-2011, 21:20
You can't polish a turd :eyebrows: A really good system will unfortunately show up the problems more than a mediocre system. Whether this makes it unlistenable is down to the listener :scratch:

That's exactly how I see things, but I've met people who think that anyone who thinks like that is full of shit. So...

Reid Malenfant
20-05-2011, 21:22
So...
So ignore them ;)

magiccarpetride
20-05-2011, 21:23
If people are discontent with the sound it makes then one would assume they’ve heard something better.

Not necessarily. There's a lot of us who can hear an ideal sounding system in our head, but we've never been blessed to actually hear it in real life. So we're on a journey of approximation.

Sort of how you may have a vision of a perfect female body in your head, and now you're chasing after girls who approximate those measurements.

Close, but no cigar, as the French say.

Rare Bird
20-05-2011, 21:31
I have to say that I feel there are many people who will never be 100% content with whatever they have, or could have given a free choice - that's just human nature and a trait not exclusive to Hi-Fi.

Peeps just play your bloody music & stop farting about, as Tim says you'll never be 100% happy.

goraman
20-05-2011, 21:32
I am pretty pleased, but would like a pair of speakers that go down to 30 hz. in an honest way with a 98 db. at 1 meter @1 watt efficiency rating.
So I give it an honest 8.

WOStantonCS100
20-05-2011, 21:39
Totally agree, nothing can ever compare to a live performance.

I, for one, am thankful for that. As a (semi-retired) musician, I've never quite understood "live" as the holy grail for an audiophile system. Most live performances aren't all that much to write home about (if not overly loud and generally horrible), especially if you're performing, unless you're at an amazingly designed performance hall (architecturally speaking) listening to an entirely acoustic performance while in one of the sweet seats and or in a relatively small room with a group of jazz musicians surrounding you. The other 99.9% of the time a PA and an ill tuned room is involved and the sound is passable at best. In such cases, a well engineered recording is the dogs bollocks IMO, every time. I'd much rather see how close I can get to "master tape" sound with my gear; but, I'm not neurotic about. I just enjoy the fact that I'm in the neighborhood and not confined to an Emerson suitcase stereo with a plastic platter, BSR record changer anymore.:lol:

Tim
20-05-2011, 21:40
..Just play your bloody music & stop farting about
:lol:

Welder
20-05-2011, 22:12
Hmm, interesting, I wondered why the others in the band threw stuff at me. I’ve always thought it was because I pissed about but perhaps it’s because I’m tone deaf and can’t keep time :doh:

Nah, that can’t be it, I have my hearing tested every year and for an old git it’s pretty decent.

Nope, I cant find a way around it, despite having heard quite a few systems over the years and having a sense of timing and tone, plus the decent hearing, I just cant hear these night and day differences…………maybe I just don’t give a toss :eyebrows:

Jonboy
20-05-2011, 22:24
I just cant hear these night and day differences

I think thats why i'm still a box swapper, just waiting for it to happen

MartinT
20-05-2011, 22:27
I've never quite understood "live" as the holy grail for an audiophile system

When I said 'live' could not be achieved, I was really thinking of a large orchestra in full flow, which is magnificent. I certainly don't care for the sound at 99% of the rock gigs I've ever been to.

Welder
20-05-2011, 22:33
I was a bit surprised about your 10% to go system assessment Martin.
I’ve heard a couple of the components you have, albeit in different systems and environments and I thought they were better than decent.
Plus, from the impression I get from this forum at least your feet and head are attached in the middle :eyebrows:

Welder
20-05-2011, 22:35
I’ve never really had the patience for much box swapping Jon. I reckon I’ve done more in this last year of the on loan type than for some time, but it takes me ages to decide whether or not I like it any better than what I had before :scratch:

MartinT
20-05-2011, 22:53
Plus, from the impression I get from this forum at least your feet and head are attached in the middle :eyebrows:

:)

WOStantonCS100
21-05-2011, 01:13
When I said 'live' could not be achieved, I was really thinking of a large orchestra in full flow, which is magnificent. I certainly don't care for the sound at 99% of the rock gigs I've ever been to.

Ahhh, agreed, the other half of the coin... no argument there. Just another reason, I think master tape sound is a more realistic target, objectively speaking; the age old question of whether or not one's gear is delivering as much of the prerecorded material as possible.

DSJR
21-05-2011, 09:16
Actually, for domestic audio, it's the mastering session that's about as far back as we can go, since a pristine master tape is often "manipulated" with eq and compression when the final acetate or digital production master is made.