PDA

View Full Version : Caiman into power amp

Mike g
13-05-2011, 20:11
Hi

Just got a caiman today. Sounding good so far- much mote detail than my bare Sonos box. Currently running it thru my naim pre into my avondale/naim 250 power amp. I presume i will have no probe running the caiman straight into the power amp?

Mike

Stratmangler
13-05-2011, 20:13
Just connect the variable outputs to the power amp and you'll be away and running.
Control the volume off the pot next to the headphone socket.

chrism
14-05-2011, 07:47
I run my Caiman through its variable outputs straight into an Avondale A260. The vol control on the SB3 is set to full i.e. no vol control as this affects the sound.

I had a very good preamp which I sold recently as the Caiman on it's own was equally as good (Caiman used via its fixed output into the pre)!

Regards

Chris

Covenant
14-05-2011, 08:07
I use my Caimanised 7520 into a Croft power amp. It sounds really good but a little niggle has entered my mind about what it would sound like if the Croft Micro 25 pre-amp was installed.......

DSJR
14-05-2011, 08:20
I can't help it but here goes...

Naim power amps need careful response tailoring in the preamp driver to protect against potential instability. The Avondale NCC200 boards may be far better in this instance as they're more stable and use modern components.

I'm sure the Gator output buffer will be fine, but I don't want you to suffer oscillation which may damage the amp and risk your speakers blowing up...

Modern amp designs and the better older types shouldn't suffer this at all, but Naim's adaptations of the old RCA circuit were designed nearly forty years ago now, around different parameters and should be used as recommended for any guarantee of stability. A check with Les W in your case would be essential I think.

'Scuse the possible words of doom, but Naims is Naims and have their own specific requirements for driving preamp circuits...

Gazjam
14-05-2011, 08:48
I use my Caimanised 7520 into a Croft power amp. It sounds really good but a little niggle has entered my mind about what it would sound like if the Croft Micro 25 pre-amp was installed.......

That little nigle will get you into bother! :)

Mike g
14-05-2011, 09:29
Thanks for the responses guys. I was worried about the power- have heard naim boards etc don't always like non naim pre amps. Will speak to les.

Mike g
05-06-2011, 19:12
So just tried my idea of plugging the caiman into the Avondale 250. After half a second of horrendous white noise i turned everything off and put the naim pre amp back in place...

Butuz
05-06-2011, 21:21
You did swap over the cables from the fixed outputs to the variable???

Doesn't sound right. Only time I've had White noise out of my 7520 is when I tried to feed it Dolby surround through optical input.

Butuz