PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Caiman with linear PSU

magiccarpetride
13-05-2011, 17:04
Finally decided to upgrade my Caiman and replace the switching 15 V PSU with a linear PSU. I've installed the new PSU and was feeding 16 V into the Caiman.

Immediately started noticing more details. The noise floor is reduced, and finer details and micro dynamics became more apparent. It's also much easier to follow the melody in the bass, as it now gets executed without much straining.

So far so good. On the (surprising) downside, this upgrade robbed the Caiman of some of its fabulous deep bass extension, slam, punch, and torque (one of the reasons why Caiman, and especially Gatorized Caiman, offers this magic of transforming the digital signal to sound almost analogue).

I can't even believe that such a thing as losing the bass extension via the linear PSU would be possible, but for some reason, the deep bass is not as present as it is with the original 15 V switching PSU. (this is after 48 hours burn in time)

Not sure how to explain this, or even if I'm hallucinating at this point. Has anyone else had similar experience? Is there a solution/workaround?

Gazjam
13-05-2011, 17:10
What PSU did you end up getting Alex?

magiccarpetride
13-05-2011, 17:15
What PSU did you end up getting Alex?

This one:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MASTECH-HY1803D-DC-POWER-SUPPLY-VAR-0-18-VOLTS-0-3-/360241404257?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e00f9961#ht_2602wt_907

Reid Malenfant
13-05-2011, 17:30
What cable are you using from the PSU & how long is it? The PSU looks more than capable :cool:

Gazjam
13-05-2011, 17:38
if it were me...

I'd live with the PSU for a couple of weeks then swap between the old one and the new.

Open mindedness rules..trust your first instincts, because they are usually right.

Have you tried the Linear PSU that Stan recommended the first time around?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/13.8v-regulated-mains-power-units-231

Its what I use and is a good improvement (even in the bass dept!) over the stock supply.
Sometimes you go round and round only to end up where you were at the start....

:cool:

Reid Malenfant
13-05-2011, 17:54
The Maplin supply is a piece of crap compared to his present one in all honesty :lol: Besides which something tells me there is no such thing as Maplin in Canada :scratch:

worrasf
13-05-2011, 18:09
[QUOTE=magiccarpetride;

I can't even believe that such a thing as losing the bass extension via the linear PSU would be possible, but for some reason, the deep bass is not as present as it is with the original 15 V switching PSU. (this is after 48 hours burn in time)

Not sure how to explain this, or even if I'm hallucinating at this point. Has anyone else had similar experience? Is there a solution/workaround?[/QUOTE]

My experience of adding a linear PSU has been totally positive - particularly regarding both bass extension and control. I have posted previously on this here on AoS. I am using a Teddy Pardo linear PSU (also use one for my Wadia 170i) and it has made a huge improvement in all areas.

Steve

magiccarpetride
13-05-2011, 18:18
What cable are you using from the PSU & how long is it? The PSU looks more than capable :cool:

I'm using a home-made cable, as the PSU didn't come with any output cables. I can't remember how long it is (will measure it tonight, I'm at work now).

magiccarpetride
13-05-2011, 18:20
if it were me...

I'd live with the PSU for a couple of weeks then swap between the old one and the new.

Open mindedness rules..trust your first instincts, because they are usually right.

Have you tried the Linear PSU that Stan recommended the first time around?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/13.8v-regulated-mains-power-units-231

Its what I use and is a good improvement (even in the bass dept!) over the stock supply.
Sometimes you go round and round only to end up where you were at the start....

:cool:

If I must choose, I'd side with deep, magic bass that Caiman is giving me with the original PSU right now. Yes, I lose some of the finer details that the linear PSU introduces, but for some reason that trademark deep Gatorized Caiman bass just rules!

Btw Gaz, are you feeding 15 V or 16 V into your Caiman?

Reid Malenfant
13-05-2011, 18:32
I'm using a home-made cable, as the PSU didn't come with any output cables. I can't remember how long it is (will measure it tonight, I'm at work now).
Do you know the cable cross sectional area? I know the Caiman won't draw a lot of current, but the regulation could well be screwed with a thin long cable. Before getting to upset with the linear PSU i'd possibly suggest that this may well be the cause ;)

Gazjam
13-05-2011, 18:38
If I must choose, I'd side with deep, magic bass that Caiman is giving me with the original PSU right now. Yes, I lose some of the finer details that the linear PSU introduces, but for some reason that trademark deep Gatorized Caiman bass just rules!

Btw Gaz, are you feeding 15 V or 16 V into your Caiman?

15V

roob
13-05-2011, 18:39
torque
First time I have heard that word used to describe bass :lolsign:

Gazjam
13-05-2011, 18:40
My experience of adding a linear PSU has been totally positive - particularly regarding both bass extension and control. I have posted previously on this here on AoS. I am using a Teddy Pardo linear PSU (also use one for my Wadia 170i) and it has made a huge improvement in all areas.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I know before you splashed out on the Tessy Pardo supply you had the Lambda supply?
Im looking to try one, but unable to fund a UK seller.

Can I ask where you got yours?

Ta.
G.

magiccarpetride
13-05-2011, 18:46
Do you know the cable cross sectional area? I know the Caiman won't draw a lot of current, but the regulation could well be screwed with a thin long cable. Before getting to upset with the linear PSU i'd possibly suggest that this may well be the cause ;)

Not being very technical (make that completely non-technical), I'm not sure I know what cross sectional area indicates.

Reid Malenfant
13-05-2011, 18:52
The area of each of the wires. If you don't know the area (which gives current carrying capacity) then get the diameter of the copper wire & i'll work it out ;)

magiccarpetride
13-05-2011, 19:04
The area of each of the wires. If you don't know the area (which gives current carrying capacity) then get the diameter of the copper wire & i'll work it out ;)

Will try and provide the diameter. All I know at this point is that this wire is made of dead giant stars that exploded eons ago.

Reid Malenfant
13-05-2011, 19:05
:D True never the less ;)

worrasf
13-05-2011, 21:01
Hi Steve,

I know before you splashed out on the Tessy Pardo supply you had the Lambda supply?
Im looking to try one, but unable to fund a UK seller.

Can I ask where you got yours?

Ta.
G.

Hi Gaz,
If you mean the Teddy Pardo I got it from Mark Bartlett at Audiocom. They are not advertised but he sourced it direct from Teddy himself. I'm sure if you contacted Mark he could do likewise for you.

Regards
Steve

Gazjam
13-05-2011, 22:34
Hey Steve,

Typo on the Teddyy Pardo there (S next to D on the KB and i type fast:)!)
No, I was meaning the supply you had before that, I think you pointed to a PDF link for it?

Was a "Lambda" make I think? :scratch:

Not sure if a couple of ton on a PSU is what I want just now, though its great no doubt...
A £40ish one though is a better bet, at least until StanB develops his black box of tricks. :eyebrows:

ta.
G.

chrism
14-05-2011, 09:40
Not all linear power suppies are equal. The cheaper ones tend to have poor transformers and rectifiers generally (like the Maplins one). Try a well designed linear if you can borrow one and I think that you would be surprised.

I also found that over smoothing affects the bass as well. If the PSU has a large smoothing cap you would not need the large one in the Caiman as well. My PSU has a 10,000uf Kendeil cap and I have swapped out the 10,000uf for a 220uf in the Caiman.

Regards

Chris

worrasf
14-05-2011, 10:33
Hey Steve,

Was a "Lambda" make I think? :scratch:

I'm not using that PSU anymore it's in the loft all boxed up looking for a use. If you want it I can send it to you and if it does the job keep it and make me a reasonable offer plus P&P.

Steve

Gazjam
14-05-2011, 14:16
Steve,
You got PM.