PDA

View Full Version : Preview pic of the new Revo rack by Music Works

Steve Toy
27-09-2008, 04:23
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4200/revorackcs5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

You saw it here first folks!

Marco
27-09-2008, 07:53
Looks interesting but somewhat impractical! I admire the chaps who design this stuff and their striving for 'perfection', so all power to them but what slightly concerns me is that the continual development of these supports means that owners are constantly upgrading and changing things, and spending more and more money, in order to have the 'latest' version...

It's the same with the leads and mains blocks.

It's not a mindset that I'm personally comfortable with. I like using a rack, or mains set-up, that's 'sorted' (as far as I'm concerned) from the outset, then one can simply plonk kit on, sit back and enjoy music, and forget all about such concerns! ;)

I do rate QS reference acrylic stuff, though.

Marco.

Steve Toy
27-09-2008, 10:44
I agree with you to a point, especially as I am one of those who have been spending the money on the changes over the years.

However, each change has brought a significant improvement to my ears, warranting the outlay. Also they do offer discounts and trade-in schemes to those who already own Music Works stuff.

Iain Sinclair
27-09-2008, 14:20
That is one gay stand!

aquapiranha
27-09-2008, 18:08
Yes well it looks all stylish, but I can't help thinking it is merely the sum of a few parts screwed together ie. a couple of peices of perspex and some alloy bars. Now, that is what a lot of racks are I hear you say... true, but a lot of racks are not claiming huge sonic benefits and special wallet emptying abilities also...

Just my 2p.

Steve Toy
27-09-2008, 19:34
I am less interested in how stylish it looks than how they managed to come up with a solution to use only acrylic in the design while maintaining rigidity, robustness and stability.

Even those bars are acrylic.

There is only one way to evaluate its sonic performance, i.e: that of the ethos of this forum.

Iain Sinclair
27-09-2008, 19:38
I am less interested in how stylish it looks than how they managed to come up with a solution to use only acrylic in the design while maintaining rigidity, robustness and stability.

Even those bars are acrylic.

There is only one way to evaluate its sonic performance, i.e: that of

I think the Mana hit squad got Steve before he could finish!

aquapiranha
27-09-2008, 21:11
There is only one way to evaluate its sonic performance, i.e: that of the ethos of this forum.

Yes fair point, perhaps I am maybe a little too cynical.

markf
27-09-2008, 21:40
I'm not sure about the look of that new rack .

I currently have a StudioTech rack in glass which I like,I probably should add another
level just to get the pre-amp a bit higher off the power amp than it is now,however it all
sounds good so I'm not going to disturb it all until I move.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/markf_pfm/Spectral_232.jpg

Steve Toy
28-09-2008, 00:41
A hi-fi rack is not about looks.

That Spectral combo will unleash its true potential on an acrylic stand. My experience to date with my own stands suggests that more acrylic and less metal raises the performance considerably, notably in the areas of dynamics, timing and tonal colour.

My Spectral pre hated sitting on glass - it killed the upper frequency resolution. Whilst Spectral equipment is never going to sound awful, yours may only be firing on seven of its eight cylinders.

You owe it to yourself to try an acrylic stand of some description with your Spectral pre and power. For a fraction of its cost you may double its performance.

There really is only one way to find out.

markf
28-09-2008, 06:39
I could try acrylic,there is a good store near me which cuts acrylic any size you need,so I could get a shelf made and try it. I don't want too much acrylic as I have a Clearaudio turntable.

Steve Toy
28-09-2008, 11:01
What does owning a Clearaudio deck made from acrylic have to do with the price of eggs?

They don't use this material just because it looks pretty...

Marco
28-09-2008, 11:40
I agree with you to a point, especially as I am one of those who have been spending the money on the changes over the years.

However, each change has brought a significant improvement to my ears, warranting the outlay. Also they do offer discounts and trade-in schemes to those who already own Music Works stuff.

Yes but where does it end, Steve? I just couldn't be doing with swapping and changing my rack every time Larry and the lads come up with a new design! Good luck to them - I hope they do well, but the bottom line is that regardless of any performance increases it's a clever way to keep your customers on a continual upgrade spiral ;)

As for mains blocks, you know where I stand on this issue: hard-wire everything and don't use any! It's much cheaper and ultimately offers better performance.

Marco.

Rick O
23-10-2008, 12:21
Marco, aren't all developers continually striving for continual improvement? If this wasn't the case, then CD would have never been invented, Nasa wouldn't be trying to put a man on Mars... and more close to home, Hi-Fi manufacturers wouldn't release new products.

What is wrong with continually trying to achieve perfection?

Marco
23-10-2008, 13:15
Hi Rick (or whoever is using Rick's account :eyebrows:),

Nothing whatsoever; in fact I applaud it! It's just not where I personally want to be with equipment racks, that's all.

I prefer to have something that's 'sorted' from the beginning and then forget all about it and just listen to music once I've got it the way I want it. I completely understand what you're doing and why it's necessary to experiment with the design you've produced but, like I said, I just couldn't be doing with swapping and changing my rack at regular intervals and it costing me a fair bit of cash each time to upgrade to the latest model.

With my non-magnetic stainless steel Mana, all I have to do if I want to increase the performance of my supports is add another Soundstage - the basic design is 'sorted' and has been since the beginning. Although if I did, I'd definitely need a ladder to change CDs or records! :lol:

I like it this way because I'm the one in charge when upgrades take place, not someone else ;)

Different strokes for different folks, I guess... Good luck though with the new supports. I'm sure they will do well.

Marco.

Filterlab
23-10-2008, 16:08
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4200/revorackcs5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

You saw it here first folks!

Very funky and 'modern', personally I play about a lot with racking and supports although it makes little difference to my DAC and amp if I'm honest. Still, I don't spend much as I tend to use raw materials rather than finished items. :)