PDA

View Full Version : TT Mat Recommendations

jantheman
09-05-2011, 10:19
Guys...I need a new mat for my 1210. Now I dont want to go silly over this so my max budget is £50. I know, I know...spend just a little (or a lot) more and get xyz but my limit is my limit.
Any suggestions.

Stratmangler
09-05-2011, 10:30
Make one.
You should be able to get some cork floor tiles quite easily.
Some 30mm x 30mm tiles and a very sharp blade should do you nicely.

chris@panteg
09-05-2011, 10:36
I've just bought a 3mm cork mat on eBay for a fiver , mainly for use on my SL-Q21 , though the 1200 Achromat is working well on this deck .

jantheman
09-05-2011, 10:40
Is cork good on a 1210 cos I dont think I have ever seen it mentioned when 1210's come up?

jantheman
09-05-2011, 10:40
Make one.
You should be able to get some cork floor tiles quite easily.
Some 30mm x 30mm tiles and a very sharp blade should do you nicely.
A bit on the small side methinks....:lolsign::lolsign:
Or...do I stick them all together first.......:lolsign::lolsign:

chris@panteg
09-05-2011, 10:47
Well the Blue Horizon is cork , I'm going to try this cheap one on my Q21 :)

Stratmangler
09-05-2011, 10:48
A bit on the small side methinks....:lolsign::lolsign:
Or...do I stick them all together first.......:lolsign::lolsign:

Oooops !!!!
Missed a 0 off :doh:

jantheman
09-05-2011, 10:50
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110679222434&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Waddaya think...
Yes I could make one but.........

Stratmangler
09-05-2011, 10:54
Cork works well on my Thorens TD125.
Should also work well on Sondeks too.
Can't see why it wouldn't work on a 12** platter.

Superfi also have 'em at a touch under £12.

jantheman
09-05-2011, 11:01
Superfi dont have stock Chris, thanks anyways. I've hit the button on the one I listed earlier...I'll give it a go.......
Thanks for your help.

chris@panteg
09-05-2011, 11:06
Superfi dont have stock Chris, thanks anyways. I've hit the button on the one I listed earlier...I'll give it a go.......
Thanks for your help.

Yes , good choice for the money , let us know how you get on with it :)

jantheman
09-05-2011, 11:12
Yes , good choice for the money , let us know how you get on with it :)
Will do....

Slippershod
09-05-2011, 11:16
I've had both that mat and his acrylic version from jclovesmusic.

I've had quite a few others in the same price range (and more) and his 'build quality' and finishing is on another level. Very good value for money, relatively speaking.

I've found the cork mat better to my ear (although I use the acrylic one underneath it!).

chris@panteg
09-05-2011, 11:19
I've had both that mat and his acrylic version from jclovesmusic.

I've had quite a few others in the same price range (and more) and his 'build quality' and finishing is on another level. Very good value for money, relatively speaking.

I've found the cork mat better to my ear (although I use the acrylic one underneath it!).

Hi Marc

You might want to do the introduce yourself thing , on the welcome thread :)

Slippershod
09-05-2011, 11:24
oh bugger, do I have to ... ? :)

will do.

jantheman
10-05-2011, 09:09
WOW! mat ordered yesterday and arrived this morning. Looks like a quality item, fits perfectly. I'll give it a spin later and let you know how it sounds.

Stratmangler
10-05-2011, 09:13
WOW! mat ordered yesterday and arrived this morning. Looks like a quality item, fits perfectly. I'll give it a spin later and let you know how it sounds.

Excellent :)
I look forward to reading your report.

Marco
10-05-2011, 09:22
Hi Ray,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110679222434&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Waddaya think...
Yes I could make one but.........

Interesting... I looks like someone's half-copied the Blue Horizon mat, using soley cork (the genuine BH uses other materials, such as India rubber).

It should work pretty well, although I'm not a big fan of folk copying other people's ideas :rolleyes:

Anyway, hope it sounds good - it should do! :)

Marco.

jantheman
10-05-2011, 09:45
Marco...this uses nitrile rubber as well...its all there in the description.....
Dont see who is copying who...this is a one piece and the BH is two. This guy has been selling these for a long time so who started selling first, I dont know......

Marco
10-05-2011, 09:51
Indeed, but it's not quite the same as what's used in the Blue Horizon mat:

http://www.bluehorizonideas.com/recordmat.html

This high-performance record mat is made from a unique composite of India rubber, cork and leather...

The one you've got looks different to the BH. I know, because I've used the latter. If it were identical, the supplier you bought it from would be in trouble for breaking copyright law! ;)

Still, I think you've got a bargain :)

Marco.

Slippershod
10-05-2011, 11:05
for what it's worth, I don't remember blue horizon being on the radar (I hadn't come across them anyhow) when I bought the jclovesmusic mat - I think I was one of his earliest customers on ebay if memory serves...

I notice (when I bought his acrylic mat recently) he's marketing an increasing range of what appear to be very well machined / made bits and pieces including, intriguingly, upgrades /mods for the mission 774 tonearm - I have a duff one lying around here so they're rather tempting... !

although - back on topic, and just to be clear, I know nothing about blue horizon and how long they've been selling their mat - which does seem quite a bit different anyway (this being reflected in the price?).

jantheman
10-05-2011, 12:34
Indeed, but it's not quite the same as what's used in the Blue Horizon mat:

http://www.bluehorizonideas.com/recordmat.html

The one you've got looks different to the BH. I know, because I've used the latter. If it were identical, the supplier you bought it from would be in trouble for breaking copyright law! ;)

Still, I think you've got a bargain :)

Marco.
Possibly and only possibly, but it isnt identical, the material is different and the design isnt the same so this is a non issue.

Marco
10-05-2011, 12:43
Indeed. I was simply observing the similarity.

Enjoy, and let us know what you think :)

Marco.

MCRU
10-05-2011, 16:05
The mat on e-bay I suspect is simply nebar which is a commercial cork impregnated with nitrile rubber used in industry to make gaskets( I know that cos I sell them).

Nebar is a totally different beast to the BH mat rest assured.

pure sound
10-05-2011, 18:35
What's the difference (besides price) to the Thorens mat?

http://www.hifigear.co.uk/thorens-platter-mat.html

jantheman
10-05-2011, 19:12
Well...the Thorens and the BH look the same to me...2 piece and the compound of rubber, cork and leather seems the same.

Marco
10-05-2011, 21:00
Mmm... The 'Thorens' is defo a BH mat, no doubt, but I've seen this sort of thing before. Heavy discounting by on-line sellers - and who knows whether they've got the stock to back up any orders, just to reel people in... :rolleyes:

Nah, I think I'd rather deal with someone we know and trust, like David, even if the same mat costs more, simply because he's selling it at the proper price to support a customer base, and has the necessary stock to fulfil orders! ;)

Marco.

jantheman
11-05-2011, 06:47
Marco, I feel the underlying message in most of your posts in this thread is that there is some sort of underhand practice going on by some retailers. The BH mat bought from a particular seller comes out smelling of roses and any other opition you seem to feel is a bit suspect. Hey, its your privilege to buy what you like from who you like but just because you prefer the BH and a particular dealer doesnt mean theres anything wrong with anyone else.
Now, I have never, as yet, purchased anything from the David and from what I have read there wouldnt be a problem in doing so but he isn't the only retailer out there. To view others as dealing in what can best be described as 'sharp practice' is in anyones interpretation, more than a little unfair.
:sofa:

Marco
11-05-2011, 09:01
Hi Ray,

You're entitled to your opinion, mate, but you've misconstrued somewhat what I meant.

The fact is, however, there are some on-line retailers who will behave exactly as I've outlined, and therefore I'm entitled to point this out. I'm not saying that Hifigear are necessary guilty of that practice, but they could be. Unless you or anyone else here has had dealings with them, and can vouch for them, we don't know.

I'm sure they're fine, but I think that eyebrows are entitled to be raised when a company is seemingly selling a product £16.95 cheaper than all the other major on-line retailers. Analogue Seduction, and the rest, are selling the BH mat for £64.95 (give or take a few pence), just the same as David. Prices are usually pretty much standardised with these products, for good reasons.

Also, as I'm sure you'll understand, it's entirely appropriate to support our trade members here, who put something back into this community, before an unknown quantity no-one here (as far as I know) has dealt with. And so therefore, David, Mark Grant, Stan, and all our other valued trade members, will always receive our support accordingly :)

However, having done a bit of digging, I think I can see what's happened....

Hifigear sell both the Thorens mat, which Guy linked to previously, shown here, for £48.00:

http://www.hifigear.co.uk/thorens-platter-mat.html

And, rather strangely, the Blue Horizon mat itself, shown here, for £64.50:

http://www.hifigear.co.uk/blue-horizon-record-mat.html

Both, of course, look identical.

What I think has happened is that they've used the same photograph (that of the BH mat) for both products. So it's either an error, or the Thorens mat looks similar, and they've just used the same picture to advertise both items.

Either way, the price Hifigear are selling the actual BH mat for is £64.50, 45p less than David. However, David offers AoS members 10% discount on all his products, so it'll actually cost anyone here £58.46.

So who would you rather buy a Blue Horizon mat from? ;)

Marco.

pure sound
11-05-2011, 09:17
I've got a Thorens mat. For some reason Martin Colloms gave me one (!) I don't really know why. It comes in Thorens packaging. I'm not sure whether it is a Thorens made item or whether they buy it in from BH or whether both buy it in from some 3rd party. Certainly the description & pics suggest that it's the same item. I imagine most Thorens stockists will have them as well as the online sellers that stock it.

It'd be interesting to know where it does come from originally & why the BH one is 33% more expensive.

Marco
11-05-2011, 09:23
It'd be interesting to know where it does come from originally & why the BH one is 33% more expensive.

Indeed. And how Hifigear, for example, can sell two identical mats (if they are indeed such): a 'Thorens' for £48.00, and the BH, for £64.50...

If they are in fact identical, what daftee is going to buy the BH mat from them, at £16.50 more?? :lol: :mental:

Marco.

pure sound
11-05-2011, 09:31
You can borrow the Thorens one if you like Marco. I think you'd find it identical though. On the decks that I've tried it on (SP10 & TT2) I didn't actually like it that much.

I suspect that it's either originally a Thorens item or (more likely) from some third party but coming through a leaner margin structure when sold as the Thorens product or it may be cheaper just because Thorens buy more of them?

(It doesn't seem to be a standard component supplied with any current Thorens models which is why I suspect it's of 3rd party origin)

Stratmangler
11-05-2011, 09:32
How have you got on with your mat Ray ?

Marco
11-05-2011, 09:47
Hi Guy,

You can borrow the Thorens one if you like Marco. I think you'd find it identical though. On the decks that I've tried it on (SP10 & TT2) I didn't actually like it that much.

Thanks for the offer, mate, but there's little point, as I've already got a BH :)

Does your Thorens mat come in two parts? This is quite crucial, as the second 'overlay' mat of the Blue Horizon, is a key element of its design.

I suspect that it's either originally a Thorens item or (more likely) from some third party but coming through a leaner margin structure when sold as the Thorens product or it may be cheaper just because Thorens buy more of them?

Could be. But if they are identical, it's lunacy for a retailer to sell both items on their website, one more expensive than the other, when people will naturally buy the cheaper option, and end up with the same product - unless you simply enjoy chucking your money away!

I think someone should contact Hifigear, point out the discrepancy, and see what they say...

I'm still not convinced that they are the same product. Perhaps the 'Thorens' mat is more like the one Ray bought? That isn't the same as the Blue Horizon. Cork-style mats do tend to look alike.

Marco.

chris@panteg
11-05-2011, 09:48

(It doesn't seem to be a standard component supplied with any current Thorens models which is why I suspect it's of 3rd party origin)

Hi Guy

Where can you get a Lexan mat from ? Or was it just a one off .

jantheman
11-05-2011, 09:48
How have you got on with your mat Ray ?
Hahaha...I almost forgot about that bit of the equation....:lol:
Early days, I only managed to get 1 LP through last night but initial impressions are that it seems to give more space between performers, bass is certainly tighter and everything has more 'air' if thats the right word.
Bear in mind that my previous 'mat' was 2 layers of silicone made from a silicone baking sheet so it wasnt any great shakes to start. One could argue that any 'proper' mat would be better than this. However...thats my reference for the points I made above.
I'll post more after a more thorough listen.

pure sound
11-05-2011, 10:06
Hi Guy

Where can you get a Lexan mat from ? Or was it just a one off .

That was a one off but if you know a friendly engineer you could buy a piece like this & have it turned.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10MM-CLEAR-POLYCARBONATE-PLASTIC-SHEET-297-x-420MM-A3-/160467691840?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255c9ea940

There's lots of thinner polycarb sheet on ebay too.

Marco
11-05-2011, 10:08
Hi Ray,

Well...the Thorens and the BH look the same to me...2 piece and the compound of rubber, cork and leather seems the same.

Are you judging that simply from the photographs and information on the Hifigear website, or from actual experience of seeing both products?

As I said before, they could have mistakenly used the same photograph (and blurb) to advertise both items. I've seen this happen before when products are similar but not identical.

Anyway, after all these shenanigans, I'm glad that your own mat is doing the biz! :)

Marco.

Marco
11-05-2011, 10:11
Hi Guy,

Did you notice this edit on my earlier post:

Does your Thorens mat come in two parts? This is quite crucial, as the second 'overlay' mat of the Blue Horizon, is a key element of its design.

If your Thorens mat doesn't come in two parts, it's not the same as the BH.

Marco.

pure sound
11-05-2011, 10:12
Yes, the Thorens mat does come in two parts.

jantheman
11-05-2011, 10:13
No, I havent seen either but like I said previously..the photo and description look very similar particularly with regard to the materials used in their manufacture.
I'm making no judgments, just forming an opinion with the information thats presented.

chris@panteg
11-05-2011, 10:14
That was a one off but if you know a friendly engineer you could buy a piece like this & have it turned.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10MM-CLEAR-POLYCARBONATE-PLASTIC-SHEET-297-x-420MM-A3-/160467691840?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255c9ea940

There's lots of thinner polycarb sheet on ebay too.

That's brilliant Guy , thanks for that :) must be worth a try , though getting it machined could be expensive which is fair enough .

jantheman
11-05-2011, 10:15
So..Mr Pure Sound has confirmed that its a 2 part mat so it looks less likely that Hifigear has made a mistake with the photo.....

Marco
11-05-2011, 10:16
Yes, the Thorens mat does come in two parts.

Okay-cokey...

In that case, it looks like both products are the same. In order to put this to bed once and for all, however, it might be a good idea to let me borrow your Thorens mat, so I can confirm, or not, if it's the same as the BH :)

You've got my addy, yeah?

Marco.

Marco
11-05-2011, 10:19
So..Mr Pure Sound has confirmed that its a 2 part mat so it looks less likely that Hifigear has made a mistake with the photo.....

Yup, but if that is the case (and I'll know when Guy sends me his) it's still bonkers for Hifigear to sell two identical products at different prices!

Marco.

pure sound
11-05-2011, 10:29
I asked HiFi Gear but they couldn't answer as they haven't received any stock of the BH mat yet. When I get a mo' I'll put the Thorens one in the post (once I've found it!)

jantheman
11-05-2011, 10:31
Yup, but if that is the case (and I'll know when Guy sends me his) it's still bonkers for Hifigear to sell two identical products at different prices!

Marco.

Lets for one minute assume they are both the same, I aint saying they are but lets just make the assumption.
1) Maybe Hifigear dont know they are the same, unlikely but possible.
2) Also you know as well as anyone the amount of hype that goes on in this game so why not put one in a fancy box, expound the virtues of why your mat is better than anyone elses and then slap a healthy premuim on it. Marketing, I think they call it.:lol:

EDIT...Mr Pure Sound has again pretty much confirmed my first point with the post he just made....

Marco
11-05-2011, 10:59
I asked HiFi Gear but they couldn't answer as they haven't received any stock of the BH mat yet.

Jeez - so what the f*ck are they doing advertising it in the first place??

You see, that's the point I was making earlier. I hate retailers who advertise product on-line without having stock to back it up. Any fool can do that.... :doh:

At least, if you order a BH mat from David, he's actually got some, and so you'll receive your order the next day. That's how you do business properly!

When I get a mo' I'll put the Thorens one in the post (once I've found it!)

Nice one. I'd like to put this to bed once and for all.

Marco.

Marco
11-05-2011, 11:02
Lets for one minute assume they are both the same, I aint saying they are but lets just make the assumption.
1) Maybe Hifigear dont know they are the same, unlikely but possible.
2) Also you know as well as anyone the amount of hype that goes on in this game so why not put one in a fancy box, expound the virtues of why your mat is better than anyone elses and then slap a healthy premuim on it. Marketing, I think they call it.:lol:

Well, if that's the case, Ray, you'd need to be total idiot to fall for it, given the fact that both products are listed on their website, showing that they're identical!

Marco.

jantheman
11-05-2011, 11:08
Jeez - so what the f*ck are they doing advertising it in the first place??

You see, that's the point I was making earlier. I hate retailers who advertise product on-line without having stock to back it up :doh:

At least, if you order a BH mat from David, he's actually got some, and so you'll receive your order the next day. That's how you do business properly!

Nice one. I'd like to put this to bed once and for all.

Marco.
I agree 100% but the difference is that now we have some evidence (if you want to call it that) to go on not just a feeling that this could be the case.
I await your findings......

jantheman
11-05-2011, 11:09
Well, if that's the case, Ray, you'd need to be total idiot to fall for it, given the fact that both products are listed on their website, showing that they're identical!

Marco.
They're out there Marco...you know it and I know it........:lolsign::lolsign:

pure sound
11-05-2011, 11:11
HiFi Gear did say that the BH Mat had had lots of good press. That'll be why they are listing it, that'll be why they will stock it & that'll be why people will buy it. :doh:

The fact that the Thorens mat is the same item will be overlooked!

Marco
11-05-2011, 11:24
....by daftees! :lol:

Marco.

jantheman
11-05-2011, 11:37
HiFi Gear did say that the BH Mat had had lots of good press. That'll be why they are listing it, that'll be why they will stock it & that'll be why people will buy it. :doh:

The fact that the Thorens mat is the same item will be overlooked!

We havent established that yet...have we?

pure sound
11-05-2011, 11:43
Not definitively, but I'd be very surprised if two separate companies just happened to be making visually identical 2 part mats from 'Indian rubber, cork and leather' at exactly the same time. What are the chances?

Marco
11-05-2011, 11:51
Indeed. And comparing them side by side, and reporting the outcome, will put it to bed.

Did you ask if they had the Thorens mat in stock? That, I'd like to know.

If these two mats are actually the same, which seems almost a certainty, then I think David and every other retailer of the Blue Horizon mat, is entitled to know what's going on...

I.E - who actually produces these mats, and why are they being sold to retailers at two different prices under different names?

I'd be livid, if it were me - and I'd want some answers, pronto!!

The reality now is that if David wants to sell any more BH mats, he's going to have to sell off his existing stock and buy in some 'Thorens' ones, so he can sell them at the lower price. Analogue Seduction, et al, will be in the exact same position, when knowledge of this discrepancy spreads (and it will)!

Marco.

jantheman
11-05-2011, 11:52
Not definitively, but I'd be very surprised if two separate companies just happened to be making visually identical 2 part mats from 'Indian rubber, cork and leather' at exactly the same time. What are the chances?

Pretty slim.
Or alternatively, bloody remarkable:lolsign:

jantheman
11-05-2011, 12:08
If these two mats are actually the same, which seems almost a certainty, then I think David and every other retailer of the Blue Horizon mat, is entitled to know what's going on...

Why?....As a retailer they have taken the decision to stock a product and sell at what appears to be an agreed price.
Should these mats be the same then they would, after thorough testing (at their expense I expect and not just visually ) or obtain confirmation from the manufacturers, be entirely justified in providing a comparison to potential customers, citing the Thorens as the same item but at a reduced price.

Marco
11-05-2011, 12:24
Ray, it's not Hifigear who are at fault, or anyone who buys a 'Thorens' mat, but rather whoever is producing the BH mat and selling it under different names at different prices. I abhor such practice. It's rather like the Jelco vs. Ortofon tonearm situation.

Once people know that they can obtain a BH mat for £48.00, marked as a 'Thorens', instead of £64.95 for one marked as a Blue Horizon (and this thread, via Google, will be the catalyst), who's going to buy Blue Horizon mats from retailers, such as David or Analogue Seduction, selling them for £64.95??

Quite simply, once public knowledge of this situation is widespread (and it will soon become so), the market for selling BH mats for the correct retail price of £64.95 will be as dead as a Dodo!

Marco.

pure sound
11-05-2011, 12:30
Incidentally, how long has the BH mat been around? I was given the Thorens mat in early 2009 so presumably that's been around since 2008 at least.

Marco
11-05-2011, 12:36
That I'm not sure.

As far as I know, the Blue Horizon mat is a relatively new product (as are the other associated products, currently sold under the same name).

I only became aware of the BH mat when David let me try one a couple of months back, and it was reviewed in some of the magazines.

Marco.

Stratmangler
11-05-2011, 12:45
The company has been around since 2008 http://www.bluehorizonideas.com/index.html

pure sound
11-05-2011, 13:27
Their 'News' page details the launch of a couple of products; Pro-burn and Clean-It during the first half of 2009 but there's no mention of the mat at that stage. The Thorens one was around earlier.

jantheman
11-05-2011, 14:06
Well...I dont see anyone is at fault.
If we have preliminarily (is that a word) established that these are indeed the same thing then I dont necessarily blame the manufacturers, I would expect that they supply to others like Thorens and BH who then decide how to market and depending on their costs put their price on it. As Guy has already said, maybe different companies get different rates from the manufacturers due to bulk discounts or whatever..I dont know and dont really care.
I dont have an issue with BH pricing their mat at whatever they think will stand in the market any more than I do with any other product. After all its caveat emptor.
Anyways Marco, I await your verdict with baited breath on the mat that Guy has sent.
Is it there yet....:lol:

Marco
11-05-2011, 14:13
Hi Ray,

Well then I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think it stinks.

As soon as I have the 'Thorens' mat from Guy, I'll confirm if it is the same product, or not, as the BH :)

Marco.

jantheman
12-05-2011, 06:13
Back to the original subject...I had a listen to a couple more LP's last night and I must say I'm very happy with the new mat...25 squids inc post and its like I have just put a much more expensive cart on. Everything has opened up, soundstage is much more defined and it all just sounds more 'right'.
One bonus is that the when removing the lp it seems completely free of static, not like before when you could felli tingling your fingers. I tried the old polystyrene ball on a thread test and nothing, no movement at all so I'm happy.
So.............if you want a relatively inexpensive mat give this one a go, I dont think it will disappoint.

Slippershod
12-05-2011, 21:12
I'd agree, Jan. It's the mat I keep coming back to, although, to be fair, I haven't tried anything very much more expensive (apart from the ringmat thingy some years ago: looked daft, but I seem to remember it sounded good - or p'raps it's just that my setup did then, based around a thorens TD321...).

His (JClovesmusic) stuff really does seem to be very well made / produced for the money. As I mentioned above, I have his acrylic mat as well: very nicely done, although I seem to hear the 'colourations' others attribute to this material, and have stuck with the cork-y one.

erm, sorry, you're Ray, ain't cha ...

Stratmangler
12-05-2011, 21:24
I've got a Techie coming down from Scotland next month, so I might give one of those mats a go myself Ray.

I had a similar result with the one I made for my Thorens TD125, but to be honest it's a pain in the bum making them, so a buy and fit solution would be a better prospect :eyebrows:

jantheman
13-05-2011, 07:30
Hey Marc...call me what you like, Ray or Jan doesnt matter. Even 4 letter names fit the bill sometimes...:lol:
Chris, I dont think you will go too far wrong, like Marc said earlier, it is well made. Only thing I have against it is it pongs a bit but that is starting to subside and hopefully in a couple more days it will be gone all together...:lol:

MCRU
13-05-2011, 07:45
The BH mat was designed by a german chap from clearlight audio (RDC cones people), Blue Horizon is owned by the same person behind Isotek. Clearlight audio make thorens TT's and other bits and bobs, thorens do not make anything themselves I believe, I will leave you to work out the rest for yourselves.

jantheman
13-05-2011, 09:13
The BH mat was designed by a german chap from clearlight audio (RDC cones people), Blue Horizon is owned by the same person behind Isotek. Clearlight audio make thorens TT's and other bits and bobs, thorens do not make anything themselves I believe, I will leave you to work out the rest for yourselves.

Thats the point I was trying to make earlier. A part made by one manufacturer ends up being sold under many guises or ends up in many differing bits of kit..all with different price tags....
Still waiting Marco's verdict but from what you say Dave it seems pretty certain that the BH and Thorens mat is one and the same.
C'mon Marco...get ya finger out.......:lolsign::lolsign:

pure sound
13-05-2011, 09:27
It's not Marco but me causing the delay. I thought this mat was on a spare TT up in my loft. It isn't, which means that its been put away in a record sleeve. There are alot of records to look through. It may be quicker for someone to buy one!

jantheman
13-05-2011, 09:39
It's not Marco but me causing the delay. I thought this mat was on a spare TT up in my loft. It isn't, which means that its been put away in a record sleeve. There are alot of records to look through. It may be quicker for someone to buy one!

Thanks for letting us know Guy. I think after Davids last entry we have pretty much come to a conclusion on this one. OK so we dont have a visual look alike check but we do have the pics on the website. Along with Davids thoughts, short of a physical test (measurements, material, chemical test etc etc) it *seems* to be one and the same.
Its fascinating to me to see how things are linked to everything else, manufacturers, assemblers, owners, distributors etc etc.
All we have to do now is convince Marco that this is how business is done these days. I know he doesnt like it but thats how it is.

Stratmangler
19-07-2011, 09:29
Slumbering thread I know, but here's another post.
I ordered one of the mats from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTM2-287-CORK-TURNTABLE-MAT-TECHNICS-SL1200-ETC-/110707388704?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c6acb120 on Sunday evening, and it has been delivered today, which is effectively next day - you can't complain at that.

Like Ray, I'm immediately impressed with the standard of manufacture, but more importantly, things sounded immediately better than when using the deflex mat I'd pressed into action - tracing noise is reduced, and as a result there is improved resolution.

At £25 delivered I'm very well pleased - thanks for the heads up Ray :cool:

Macca
23-07-2011, 09:49
I'm currently using an official Technics felt slip matt on top of the naked platter on my sL200 (VTA set to zero).

My other options are a crummy looking, spungey Sony mat that came with the 1200 or a heavy ribbed rubber Sony mat from a Sony PS T15. Is it worth experimenting with either of these? I want a foreign holiday this year (who doesn't? :)) so have promised myself no more Hi-Fi splurging but I could go to £25 for the cork mat or something else if really worth it - comments anyone?

Alex_UK
23-07-2011, 10:07
Well nothing to lose trying!

Stratmangler
23-07-2011, 10:09
Give the cork mat a go Martin - I think you'll like it :)

Macca
23-07-2011, 10:14
Give the cork mat a go Martin - I think you'll like it :)

Okay - I've ordered the Corky!

DSJR
23-07-2011, 10:29
Resurrecting an old argument here, but Jelco supply their arms at good prices (don't know how to open an account with them unless you commit to buying a hundred or more???), yet Jelco made tonearms with third party badges on, which surely don't cost much different to make in quantity, sell for triple the amount. It's practices like these which devalue the HiFi side of the audio industry IMO.

I'm still going to get another Herbies mat for the SL1500 and plonk the oracle one on top, as I think the fixed arm height will be closer to optimum (funds next week Jerry ;))