PDA

View Full Version : AVA RS3 Music Server

Ali Tait
23-09-2008, 19:50
Anyone seen or used one of these? https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/308

Looks good,if on the pricey side.Says there's no need to use with a pc.Ok,I can see you don't need to use one to rip your cd's onto it,but how do you select what you want to play back? Looks like you'd need a pc to do that,or a better solution would be to use a SB Duet? I'd like to go down this sort of route,but I don't want to be faffing about with my pc every time I want to change tracks.You'd think for this price it'd come with something like the Duet,but I can't find out if it even comes with a remote! Any thoughts?

Mike
23-09-2008, 20:13
I don't know for sure, but a quick scoot about on some of the AV forums would suggest that folk are using it with something like the Sonos or other digital music players, there's a bit about it on 6moons here (scroll down to July08):

http://www.6moons.com/news/news.html

Ali Tait
23-09-2008, 20:24
Yes I've had a scout about and have looked at that link amongst others.Can't find any mention of a remote that comes with it.

StanleyB
24-09-2008, 06:35
The HD media server I use and that Maplin sells for £120 comes with a remote control. There are also a couple of different ones on eBay for about £100, and they too have a RC.

Ali Tait
24-09-2008, 10:15
Thanks Stan,yes I've been following your thread with interest.The thing I liked about the rs3 was the fact that you can just chuck a cd into it and it does it all for you.As I said,I'd like to go down this route,but I don't want to have to have a pc sitting beside me just to select the tracks I want to listen to.Perhaps I could use the Maplin thing with a Duet? or does the supplied remote allow you to look up the listings of what you have stored,in order to choose what you wish to play?

StanleyB
24-09-2008, 11:01
or does the supplied remote allow you to look up the listings of what you have stored,in order to choose what you wish to play?
Exactly. You use the remote to browse your HD content, select tracks, etc. etc. It has tonnes of options. I only use about a quarter of them at the moment. You view the results on a screen of your choice.
I ordered a special connector that will simplify connecting up the screen and the HD. Once it arrives, I'll do a full user installation guide to help out anyone who would be interested in going down the same route as me. Once you see how it can be set up, you'll get one.

I looked at the ones with inbuilt CD tray. Waste of space IMHO. I have an old camera bag that can hold my HD, screen, psu, and cables. It makes it so easy to carry about.

Ali Tait
24-09-2008, 11:09
So that means you still have to have a separate screen set up to view tracks.I'd probably buy a Duet to use with it,with it's built in screen.This seems more convenient to me.I presume if you loaded slimserver on the HD,you could use one with it? What digital outs does the HD have?

StanleyB
24-09-2008, 11:24
I didn't have to load any software onto the HD. Have a look at the manufacturer's site at www.ioni.com for the full spec and connection options.
I use the digital coax and the composite video out.

Ali Tait
24-09-2008, 11:32
Thanks Stan,will have a butchers.

leo
26-09-2008, 10:19
I didn't have to load any software onto the HD. Have a look at the manufacturer's site at www.ioni.com for the full spec and connection options.
I use the digital coax and the composite video out.

I think you mean this:) http://www.inoi.com/English/index.asp

leo
26-09-2008, 10:57
So that means you still have to have a separate screen set up to view tracks.I'd probably buy a Duet to use with it,with it's built in screen.This seems more convenient to me.I presume if you loaded slimserver on the HD,you could use one with it? What digital outs does the HD have?

I've had a quick read, seems theres no way to use a sb3 or duet with it, doesn't seem to be able to play things like flac or Ape either which is a shame because it looks compact and more convenient than a pc

Its a good price though!

StanleyB
26-09-2008, 11:49
The IONI HD unit connects to the SB3 digital coax input with no problem.

Stan

leo
26-09-2008, 12:45
The IONI HD unit connects to the SB3 digital coax input with no problem.

Stan

You've lost me mate, please excuse me if I'm being thick:lol:

I didn't know the SB3 had co-ax input, my modified SB3 is connected to the pc by ethernet , apart from wireless I didn't know that there was another way to stream music to it, my external dac is connected to the SB3's modded spdif output

I thought the Inoi HD would have to have a ethernet output which would connect to the SB3 , the SB3 then feeds the external dac by spdif co-ax output, you also need to be able to install slimserver on the Inoi