PDA

View Full Version : toslink doesnt fit

colinB
04-05-2011, 19:11
Just bought a fancy QED optical cable for my Ps3 Its actualy branded for Playstation and sold at a stupid price but i thought i was smart buying it for a tenner.
Blow me the thing doesnt fit either end. It doesnt click in properly and just wobbles about. Cant believe it.

Rare Bird
04-05-2011, 21:27
Mine wobbles side to side but does clip in, should be a little rib moulded on the top & bottom of the connector, there not damaged are they?

Mark Grant
04-05-2011, 21:45
There might be dust caps on the ends of the cable Colin.

have a look, they are usually clear soft pvc :)

It wont fit with the dust caps in place.

colinB
04-05-2011, 21:57
I took the rubber bits of and the peg bit looks the same as the cable that does fit :scratch:

Rare Bird
04-05-2011, 22:24
Which QED is it Col?

colinB
04-05-2011, 22:57
Thats the funny thing they are the Playstation 3 special edition. I reckon its a re badged performance range.

Rare Bird
04-05-2011, 23:05
Thats the funny thing they are the Playstation 3 special edition. I reckon its a re badged performance range.

I have a the performace optical, just plugged it in the CD player, it wobbles side to side but does click in.

colinB
04-05-2011, 23:13
Thats what it does from the playstation end but at the subwoofer it doesnt even stay in.

colinB
05-05-2011, 17:29
Managed to unscrew the plug a little and it now fits the subwoofer input, although if i as much as sneeze i think it will come of.

pwood
05-02-2012, 15:29
My mate had a similar issue with a QED optical cable from his SKY HD box to his Denon amp. The cable fitted into the slot but didnt seat well enough for the optical output to be read. after an hour of being baffled trying amp setting etc I decided despite the red light being visible the cable was the problem so we swapped it for a £2 one and it worked fine.

Minstrel SE
13-05-2017, 20:18
Yes its an issue I keep an eye on. Sometimes the cheaper looking plastic connectors are a better fit

I have one cable still in service from Cambridge Audio bought earlier in the days of Toslink. The outer ends are gold plated :) and so heavy that it doesnt seat well in the socket because the two ribs dont hold it well. There is no satisfying click in. I have fashioned a prop for it with a rod and white tack. It goes in and the cable does the job but I feel if I was just to breathe on it, it would fall out...the prop does its job in preventing this

Not happy with it though and this thread reminds me I must get a better fitting lighter head. I mean gold plating the outer with a bulky metal end is just ridiculous :) Im not too happy with the standard toslink socket and feel they could be more solidly designed

Ive noticed some of the qed marketing and they did scart and toslink marketed for games consoles. I got the ps2 connector and scart and its good quality. Im wary of marketing. Ive bought some nice QED leads mainly used but if I see a cheaper cable that looks suitable I buy the cheaper cable

There is a lot of hype in toslink cables. I just bought the first one I was handed. I buy cheaper ones now which I find just as good.

Cheers
Martin

Light Dependant Resistor
13-05-2017, 20:49
Just bought a fancy QED optical cable for my Ps3 Its actualy branded for Playstation and sold at a stupid price but i thought i was smart buying it for a tenner.
Blow me the thing doesnt fit either end. It doesnt click in properly and just wobbles about. Cant believe it.

Optical ends only fit one way ie there is a need to rotate the optical end until it matches the end
being inserted into. But if that is done and it's still loose then return it to where purchased, and
if money not given back refer them to this site, so we can get agreement on a defective product
and a resolution for you.

Have you tried any other optical cables - or is this the only one ?

Cheers / Chris

Macca
13-05-2017, 23:00
This thread is from 2011 folks

Light Dependant Resistor
14-05-2017, 00:18

Some things just take time :)

Puffin
14-05-2017, 11:41

Who gives a Tos :lol:

Minstrel SE
14-05-2017, 18:59
Is it from 2011? :D

You will have to forgive me. I work about 10 years behind which saves me money. I wonder if the op has sorted it by now? :)