PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer SA 9100

John
01-05-2011, 09:03
The first thing you notice is how many controls this amp has, its a very versitle amp God know what they all do
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pioneer+sa+9100&hl=en&rlz=1T4ACAW_enGB359GB359&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vR-9TdjlJoat8QOPxI3DBQ&ved=0CCoQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=684
All the switches are lovelly to use a operate, this is Japanese high end early 70s values being displayed here. Just using the switches has a sense of class.
The amp is kind of like old E-type jag its lines are just pleasent to behold.
As of present I have only used it in pre amp mould and the sound is being compaired to a NAD 3130 used as a preamp.
I have not yet tested out the pjono so will add my thoughts on that as a latter date.
I have used the bass and treble defeat.
The sound is quite valve like; warm and detailed. It takes about 30 mins to sound at it best when turned on intially not sounding right in the treble,
I think for most music I prefer this to the Nad its has beguiling sound one that takes you into the music. It nearly does everything really well, its only issue for me so far is tgat when it comes to reallt complex and heavy music it seems some of the sound I am used to is missing. Most people are not going to listen to music that complex and heavy
It seems to be much better in the bass, bass is somehow stronger and tighter than the NAD, as I said for a lot of music I listen to it draws me in and seduces me,
I doubt I keep it but I can why some people really like this type of gear
I will add more thoughts latter

DSJR
01-05-2011, 09:11
The smaller Pioneers from this period weren't that hot as I remember, the low THD figures meaning more than any pretense to sound quality - "everybody" bought amps on their basic specs then, although decent engineer/reviewers of the time used to delve a little deeper..

The bigger Pioneers were rather better than the babies I think, although my memories of these tend to be the replacement range (8500/9500 from memory). Glad you love your 9100 - a bygone classic :)

John
01-05-2011, 09:24
The 9100 is the one a lot people really seem to like, its not perfect but very good for what it is. I think its the little touches that really makes this amp

DSJR
01-05-2011, 09:27
And I bet it's still on its original caps etc...

Jap amps from this period are incredibly long lived, whereas Brit efforts from this and later era's seem to need substantial work by now...

John
01-05-2011, 09:30
Not sure about the caps reading up in the past it was its one weak point but no issues with what I am hearing caps sound good

Rare Bird
01-05-2011, 16:09
And I bet it's still on its original caps etc...

Jap amps from this period are incredibly long lived, whereas Brit efforts from this and later era's seem to need substantial work by now...

Your not wrong there Dave, virtually every old British amp from the early 70's i have has wanted the PSU recapping for starters, where as the old Japanese units from the same period are fine..I'm using a couple of Trio's from 1968 & are perfect all original, sound fantastic aswell.

Spectral Morn
01-05-2011, 16:35
John

If you like listening to the radio you should look out for the matching tuner as its fantastic imho.

http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/pics/tx9100b.jpg

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
01-05-2011, 16:46
Neil:
How often do Trio badged 'KT1000', 'TK350'/'KT3500' Tuners crop up?

John
01-05-2011, 18:02
i would get the tuner but because losing FM do not really see the point
How can Goverments get it so wrong

Spectral Morn
02-05-2011, 21:43
Neil:
How often do Trio badged 'KT1000', 'TK350'/'KT3500' Tuners crop up?

Fairly often Andre.

I have seen at least 5 KT1000 in the last 6 months and they usually go cheap. I think I have also seen a KT3500 recently too. According to the Tuner Info guys they are nothing special so I have not paid too much attention to them.

Regards D S D L

Spectral Morn
02-05-2011, 21:44
i would get the tuner but because losing FM do not really see the point
How can Goverments get it so wrong

Switch off is a long way of John so worth getting one imho.

Regards D S D L

Alex_UK
02-05-2011, 21:57
Switch off is a long way of John so worth getting one imho.L

...and even then, not a given. I think Government have bigger things to worry about! ;)