PDA

View Full Version : Outer Ring For Technics Deck Advise Please

RobbieGong
30-04-2011, 21:06
Hi, Has anyone got one of the Outer Peritheral Rings on their Technics deck. I'm desperate to get hold of one but struggling - Do they do one for it ??
ttweights web site shows a Universal Ring and states that it will fit all decks yet when I emailed to enquire a lady replied saying they do not do one for the deck :confused:? THe RSR Unversal Stabilizer Ring definately did and would fit but is no longer available for the time being :( as I've been in touch with the guy behind it, Rudolph Briel - Any advise or info much appreciated - Cheers, Rob

Marco
30-04-2011, 21:11
Hi Rob,

I see you're back in then - what was wrong? :)

Marco.

MCRU
30-04-2011, 21:23
If you could get the sizes it wouldn't be too difficult to get one machined, I reckon the Oyaide Mat will do the same or a better job personally?

RobbieGong
30-04-2011, 21:35
Hi Marco, looks like i needed to check the Remember Me box when logging in. As soon as I did that my post submitted at lightning speed :lol: and much to my delight. I'd previously submitted so many times without any joy I was beggining to die of frustration :mental: Now I'm in again - lovely !! Just need to find an Outer Ring as my mild to moderate warps are doing my head in. Watching the arm dip etc is not good at all (VTA)as we all know and does effect quality of feedback.

RobbieGong
30-04-2011, 21:38
If you could get the sizes it wouldn't be too difficult to get one machined, I reckon the Oyaide Mat will do the same or a better job personally?

Hi thanks for advise but I just wouldn't be confident measuring up and having something machined etc. I'm more a click the button and purchase knowing it will fit and work type of guy :)

alfie2902
30-04-2011, 21:56
Clearaudio Outer Limit Turntable Ring might work, but they're not cheap at £750!!!

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1210&md=f4c113bd6789adbb3da1e678e5102a80

RobbieGong
01-05-2011, 12:00
Hi Alfie, Yes I'd seen this one but mad money really ! :eek: I'm still clinging to the hope that someone out there has an Outer Ring fitted to their S1210 / 1200 and can advise. As I say the ttweights have a far more affordable Universal Peripheral Outer Ring which on their website states it will fit all decks, but when I enquired they said they do not do one for the Technics deck ???:confused:
Anyone any ideas or ca\n help ?? :please:

DSJR
01-05-2011, 12:26
Just enjoy the warps - that's what tonearm pivots are for :lol:

RobbieGong
01-05-2011, 12:44
Just enjoy the warps - that's what tonearm pivots are for :lol:

DSJR my man, thats not what I want to hear.( You mean there are audiophiles who can actually 'enjoy' the warps ?? that's a new one on me ha ha !!) Warps equal not best playback !! especially with a 2M Black VTA critical Shibata stylus on the end of the dips, ascends and descends :lolsign:

DSJR
01-05-2011, 13:04
How did your records get so warped in the first place? :lol:

prestonchipfryer
01-05-2011, 13:49
I'm running a 2M Black and warps are not a problem. If the warps you have are very big then no amount of fixing outer rings, etc., will make much of a difference. You could try a Michell-type clamp which are available a a reasonable cost.

MCRU
01-05-2011, 15:41
John.
You have the Oyaide mat and weight so warps are a thing of the past!

RobbieGong
01-05-2011, 17:14
How did your records get so warped in the first place? :lol:
I get the impression you're getting off on my misfortune DSJR - :donk: Nah ! The warps are mild to moderate. I have my record rack in the back room close to the patio doors and although they are stacked straight vertical as should be, they do get exposed to some sunlight and temperature change. Cant move the rack really as the layout of my room does not give me a better option with regard to location of system, speakers, rack dining room, fire place etc and it aint a big room. Some records are unaffected but it still is a pain. I've read a lot of good stuf about the Outer Rings, the benefit of sorting mild to moderate warps are not the only benefits they offer, there are a lot of other benefits to the overall sound presentation as a result of a flat uniform and stable interface between the record / mat / platter being achieved allowing a much more ideal and stable platform for the arm and stylus to move across. There's lots of stuf you can read up on re: the Outer Rings and obviously you know about VTA and when you've found that sweetspot. etc - I WANT / NEED AN OUTER RING FOR MY SL1210 MK5G :lolsign::mental:

prestonchipfryer
01-05-2011, 17:24
John.

Yes and it's very good. However I was just pointing out that if the warps are too big, then no amount of weight, rings or whatever will flatten them out without compromising sound quality. Do you get my drift? Anyway VTA is not as critical as Robert may imagine it to be. It's always a compromise is is not?

John

RobbieGong
01-05-2011, 17:29
John.

Wow:wow: :interesting: John this mat looks like it could be a winner and negate the need for me to remove my KAB fluid damper which has brought very good benefit to my system. I've come across this before but never really taken any notice of it because of the word 'mat' which always made me not take much notice and read up but move on instead thinking it isn't a warp corrector or Outer Ring. What you have written has now made me take notice - Will definately look into this more - Anyone have any experience of one ??? - Thanks again John, :respect: to you for sure :hifives:

markf
01-05-2011, 17:29
I know what Robbie is talking about, for a while it seemed that every new record I bought
was warped, maybe just a small wave in one quarter of the record, I found it very annoying to
see the tonearm bob up and down every revolution.
So the solution for me was the Clearaudio peripheral weight (I have a Clearaudio TT so
that was the obvious choice), I bought a used one for about half the new price.
It works very well ,any warps get flattened ( I haven’t found a record yet that it can’t
deal with ) and the tonearm stays very stable. It also means you don’t have to try and flatten
your records using the various heating methods.

RobbieGong
01-05-2011, 18:00
Exactly Mark, you've summed up my experience to a T, we are not talking mad crazy warps here but the bit in the corner that is a pain to watch. I'm seriously considering the Oyaide Mat, and a decent weight of some kind. Would love to here from someone with the Oyaide Mat, whether on the SL1210 or not ! Nice one Mark !

DSJR
01-05-2011, 18:26
You have an itch that won't go away before a rather expensive scratch, so I say to go for it, as you'll niggle away at yourself until you do - been there and done similar with audio decades ago, yet lived to tell the tale with tongue-in-cheek :)

Get off on other's audio misfortune? You haven't heard my stereo have you? :D

prestonchipfryer
01-05-2011, 18:32
With the Oyaide mat and Oyaide weight there is a noticeable improvement on warped records. Not talking about big warps, just those like Robbie has explained. So from that point the Oyaide mat deals well with mild warps. Sound quality; I found a definite improvement all round, clearer bass with better definition (not necessarily deeper) and the soundstage widened and moved back by a couple of feet, giving the impression that the turntable was in total control of whatever record is played. A worthwhile improvement for the Technics SL12++s stock platter. Expensive it may be, but very good value for the big gains in sound quality on offer. Even my better half could hear it, and that, believe me, takes some doing!

John

RobbieGong
01-05-2011, 18:32
You have an itch that won't go away before a rather expensive scratch, so I say to go for it, as you'll niggle away at yourself until you do - been there and done similar with audio decades ago, yet lived to tell the tale with tongue-in-cheek :)

Get off on other's audio misfortune? You haven't heard my stereo have you? :D

Ha Ha !! Get away you kidder - I bet your system sounds da biz and is proper hi end :) Nah, your right, I'm probably gonna go for it, It should do what I want it to do, hopefully sound fine too and boy does it look good :stalks: Still wanna hear if someones tried one and their thoughts ;)

RobbieGong
01-05-2011, 18:57
With the Oyaide mat and Oyaide weight there is a noticeable improvement on warped records. Not talking about big warps, just those like Robbie has explained. So from that point the Oyaide mat deals well with mild warps. Sound quality; I found a definite improvement all round, clearer bass with better definition (not necessarily deeper) and the soundstage widened and moved back by a couple of feet, giving the impression that the turntable was in total control of whatever record is played. A worthwhile improvement for the Technics SL12++s stock platter. Expensive it may be, but very good value for the big gains in sound quality on offer. Even my better half could hear it, and that, believe me, takes some doing!

John Superb John, just what I wanted to hear, plus to be honest another benefit is I'd be changing the stock mat at the same time and we already know what everybody thinks about that component part in the Technie improvement chain ! Does this mean I will need the accompanying Stabilzer weight ?

prestonchipfryer
01-05-2011, 19:47
Superb John, just what I wanted to hear, plus to be honest another benefit is I'd be changing the stock mat at the same time and we already know what everybody thinks about that component part in the Technie improvement chain ! Does this mean I will need the accompanying Stabilzer weight ?

Well you would use the Oyaide weight for best effect and affect, but a weight of approx. 300 to 400 grams would be ideal.

John

MCRU
01-05-2011, 20:05
Robbie
I mentioned very early in your thread about the Oyaide mat being just what you are looking for, I didn't want to shout about it too much as I sell them so hinted that John had one and he obliged by stating it is very good. It is quite amazing to watch a before and after when you put a warped record on an ordinary mat and then use the Oyaide, I use it on my SL1210 and also it works well on my Garrad 401, the Techie benefits the most though with the stock platter. No need to use any other mat either as the vinyl sits on top of the Oyaide mat, any weight will do as long as it weighs over 300 grammes, here is a picture to tempt you.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/DSCF0086.jpg

RobbieGong
01-05-2011, 20:25
Robbie
I mentioned very early in your thread about the Oyaide mat being just what you are looking for, I didn't want to shout about it too much as I sell them so hinted that John had one and he obliged by stating it is very good. It is quite amazing to watch a before and after when you put a warped record on an ordinary mat and then use the Oyaide, I use it on my SL1210 and also it works well on my Garrad 401, the Techie benefits the most though with the stock platter. No need to use any other mat either as the vinyl sits on top of the Oyaide mat, any weight will do as long as it weighs over 300 grammes, here is a picture to tempt you.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/DSCF0086.jpg Wow again - I know this will be just what I'm after in terms of flattening those mild / moderate warps and improvement to sound but GOSH the thing is seriously gorgeous to boot !!! Mega pleased I wont have to remove my damper either - result. What type of deal could I find for both mat and Stabilizer as thats the only part thats stalling me ever so slightly -The outlay for the two suddenly makes a big hyke :scratch: If I can get a good and decent deal I'll do the two. Funds for toys should be in my account by mid week.

Tarzan
02-05-2011, 08:07
Stop posting piccys of those Oyaide products!!!!!!!!!!

dogpile
02-05-2011, 09:01
Hi, Has anyone got one of the Outer Peritheral Rings on their Technics deck. I'm desperate to get hold of one but struggling - Do they do one for it ??
ttweights web site shows a Universal Ring and states that it will fit all decks yet when I emailed to enquire a lady replied saying they do not do one for the deck :confused:?

I purchased one from TTweights about a month ago for my 1200. It is the 240g weight which is the one that fits the 1200 series tables.
They probably sold the remaining last pieces and will likely start production soon.

The advertised "Universal fit" (480g) is too wide for the 1200, according to Larry of TTweights.

Pictured is my modified outer ring. I used 153 brass lugs which were filled with tiny lead shots. Note: This mod requires a double thickness mat.
Although the 240g weight of the ring does a fine job with mildly warped records, the additional weight of the brass/lead was required for severe
warps and the thicker variety (180g and up).

YNWaN
02-05-2011, 09:45
I'm not a fan of record weight and find that in most cases they rob the sound of air and life. In addition, a record weight would have to be ridiculously heavy to make any real impression on record warps (they certainly increase load on the bearing though). The outer ring however, is likely to make a significant difference to record warps (and is an entirely different thing to a record mat - note: I've tried lots of hard surface mats and none I have encountered can flatten records, but then, how could they!)) - on the negative side, I don't like the sound of them either (at least, the decks that I have heard fitted with them sounded better when they were removed). In addition, unless the peripheral ring is very accurately centred it will impart a significant rotational imbalance to the platter and this is very likely to impact negatively on speed accuracy.

The Grand Wazoo
02-05-2011, 09:53
I'd think if you were going to use a ring, then a weight in the centre would be pretty essential to keep the whole thing flat.

RobbieGong
02-05-2011, 10:49
Some good views coming through guys which is what I really like about AOS, people want to help and offer genuine advise and experience. I'll look to offer up my findings to also assist others once I've made a decision and tried the mat and weight or clamp. I guess it's pointing to a case of suck it and see for me here. It sounds as though the Oyaide mat will cure mild to moderate warpage as it is designed to do with the ever so slight taper to its surface as part of it's design and function. I've never tried a hard mat only stock rubber and a number of 'audiophile' mats including the Herbies, never liked the sound of them to be honest (a sort of dulling, killing effect a lot of the time) and sold them on quickly. From what has been said earlier in a reply to this post, it doesn't sound as though the Oyaide has the 'dulling' trait. The other thing that appears to be another case of suck it and see from the numerous bits i've read is Weight or Clamp decision with regard to supporting or complementing the Oyaide mat? Some may say the Stabilizer that is recommended for it (sure is beautiful but not cheap)is the way to go, some may say a decent weight (not too heavy) or clamp will also do a good job ? Again, I dont want anything thats gonna suck the life out of the sound or stress the bearing :scratch: (Although I do have a deposit down on a Mike New bearing)

Marco
02-05-2011, 14:13
Hi Mark,

I'm not a fan of record weight and find that in most cases they rob the sound of air and life. I don't like the sound of them either (at least, the decks that I have heard fitted with them sounded better when they were removed).

Much depends on whether a turntable has been made with a record weight/clamp integral to its design. When that's the case, you can bet your boots that T/Ts will sound crap without them... ;)

I agree with your observation above and that quite often record weights/clamps DO rob a T/T's sound of "air and life". However the ones I heard which that happened to were, without exception, 'low or medium-mass' belt-driven T/Ts whose low-powered motors couldn't handle the extra mass of the clamp or weight.

Therefore, their performance suffered as a result - not necessarily through any adverse sonic effect of the clamps/weights themselves, but as a result of the motor mechanism's lack of torque, and thus ability to maintain the platter at the correct speed.

Have you ever done the comparison on a quality direct-drive turntable?

With a powerful direct-drive motor, such as that used on an SP10, or SL-1210, such things are of little or no consequence, and so one is able to hear the, in my experience, considerable sonic benefits from using a good record weight/clamp, without any downsides.

I've done the comparison myself many times on my own T/T, and it's a no-brainer in favour of using a record weight/clamp. Close coupling of the record, mat and platter are undoubtedly a good thing (reducing distortion and increasing information retrieval), *providing* that the bearing and motor unit of the turntable in question can handle the increased mass.

As for the peripheral 'rings' being discussed here, I have no experience of them, although again I'd be wary of using them on anything other than a quality direct-drive T/T, or a belt or string-driven T/T equipped to take the extra mass in its stride.

Over-egging the 'mass' pudding is definitely NOT a good thing to do, but one must guard against becoming bogged down by absolutes. Experimenting and retaining an open mind are, as ever, the key to achieving audio nrivana :cool:

Marco.

RobbieGong
02-05-2011, 16:37
Thanks Marco, What you have expressed makes a lot of sense. I've noticed you've walked the walk and have read your views on many matters regarding the Technics deck through your experiences - I'm not bigging anyone up just expressing what I have observed. As I'm not in the position to upgrade to the wonderful Mike Platter I've noted your experience with the Oyaide mat on the stock platter with the Oyaide stabilzer and will look to go that route, especially as you and others have spoken positively with regard to the sound of this combo on the stock platter. :) When I do I will report back again for those who are sticking with the stock platter and like me (mild warps or otherwise), know and understand the benefits of good and stable coupling between the platter, mat and vinyl. What this combo brings to the table (no pun intended) for me, I will of course share as we do.

MartinT
02-05-2011, 17:27
Hi Rob

In addition to all else discussed here, you might want to try a simple Michell record clamp. It doesn't cost much and is very good at reducing record warps by dishing the record in the opposite way to an Oyaide mat. Just a thought.

Marco
02-05-2011, 17:52
Yep, good suggestion, Martin.

I recently bought a brand-new Michell clamp, to compare with my vintage one, and by placing the supplied washer on the spindle (and the record on top of that), the warp-flattening effect of the new clamp is very effective indeed :)

Marco.

alfie2902
02-05-2011, 18:25
Hi Rob

In addition to all else discussed here, you might want to try a simple Michell record clamp. It doesn't cost much and is very good at reducing record warps by dishing the record in the opposite way to an Oyaide mat. Just a thought.

My last TT was a Systemdek III which had a slightly concave platter. I used a couple of lightweight clamps, one being the Michell & both seemed to work very well!

I did always wonder though what this concave positioning of the record did for Azimuth? If the record is not totally flat surely Azimuth must then be reset by rotating the stylus from vertical? What if the tonearm used has no adjustment for Azimuth?

My conclusion was my next TT needed to have a flat platter!

RobbieGong
02-05-2011, 19:53
Yes guys, I've heard pretty positive things about the Michell Clamp and came pretty close to purchasing one (Cant remeber why I held off, probably read too much on the net as per and couldn't make my mind up). It seems to be a fairly inexpensive and effective tool so to speak, lots of people do use them. As far as the whole Azimuth thing goes, the taper of the Oyaide mat is 1% - I'm sure those guys, understanding vinyl replay etc and who I can imagine will have seriously researched and engineered this very high quality product, would not have made and then put it into production if by adjusting the mild warp and creating a better interface by design it also added an inheritant and counter productive 'proplem'. As well as it's obvious ability to couple platter, mat and record I've only read that sonically the benefits are very good indeed too.

alfie2902
02-05-2011, 20:18
I hear what you're saying about the designers taking this into account before production.

Even so maybe you should email them first to see what they say! A record lathe cuts records flat & a sylus tip may be as small as 0.3mm by 0.7mm & 1% or one degree will alter how the sylus sits in the groove! Has your tonearm got adjustment for azimuth? What do Oyaide recommend for set up?

Perhaps I'm inventing problems but would you set up your cart at 1% or 1 degree off from vertical to the record on a falt platter? I think not! I would ask questions!

RobbieGong
02-05-2011, 21:34
Hi Alfie - It does look as though the mat is in fact flay, I've copied and pasted a customer review of the mat which reads as follows:

I received an Oyaide MJ-12 turntable mat as a Christmas present from my wife. I have been listening to it for a little over 2 weeks now, and it is the best mat I have ever placed on my turntable. I have experimented with many mats, and I think that a hard-surfaced mat gives the best blend of detail and musicality. The Oyaide mat replaced a Boston Audio Mat 2 in my system. Instruments are placed much more precisely, and the overall presentation is more musical. I was originally concerned about the effect on cartridge azimuth ( thinking that the mat was machined with a radius of curvature), but the mat is 'flat', just tilted up 1 degree from the center. This allows you to force the record into intimate contact over the entire surface of the mat using a weight ( I use a spring-loaded clamp). I did, of course, adjust the azimuth of my cartridge by 1 degree, and the design maintains correct azimuth over the entire record side.

In summary: brilliantly designed, beautifully made, and perhaps the best mat in the world.

I have one of those protractors which I printed online and followed the arc no problems etc Sorry for being thick but my question is how I would now adjust by 1 degree ? :scratch:

alfie2902
02-05-2011, 22:51
The expensive way http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=636

I guess one way would be to put a small mirror on to the Oyaide mat & sit the stylus on to the mirror then adjust the headshell so the reflection of the stylus is straight & inline with the real stylus.

This is a quote from an online setup page...

"Basic approximations can be done by eye, however, not all tonearms will allow azimuth adjustments. If you're tonearm does not allow these adjustments, the use of a shim, either under the tonearm base or between the cartridge and arm are your onyl options. The method generally prefered is to shim the base of the tonearm, as shimming the cartridge may affect it's coupling to the headshell or arm, and additionally may have an undesireable affect on the effective mass of the cartridge/arm combination.
Azimuth is generally set during the alignment process. If you have chosen a cartridge alignment protractor that allows you to align the cantilever itself, that line can also be used to try to judge azimuth. The most accurate method is to use tracks from a test record that have modulation in only one channel. For example, you play the track that is right channel only, and measure the voltage level in the left channel. Then you play the left channel only track and measure the voltage level in the right channel. The goal is to adjust the azimuth so that the levels of crosstalk are equal in both channels. Poorly adjusted azimuth can result in shifting of the soundstage and less than precise imaging."

http://www.deadwaxcafe.com/vzone/cartalign.asp

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttadjust.html

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/cartbasics.html

Marco
03-05-2011, 00:11
Hi Robert,

Thanks Marco, What you have expressed makes a lot of sense. I've noticed you've walked the walk and have read your views on many matters regarding the Technics deck through your experiences - I'm not bigging anyone up just expressing what I have observed.

Thanks. It's simply a matter of relating one's experiences in the hope that others will read them and benefit in some way, too. That's always my motive for doing so :)

As I'm not in the position to upgrade to the wonderful Mike Platter I've noted your experience with the Oyaide mat on the stock platter with the Oyaide stabilzer and will look to go that route, especially as you and others have spoken positively with regard to the sound of this combo on the stock platter.

The Oyaide mat and weight, in conjunction with the stock Technics platter, is superb, and is indeed what I'd consider as the best combo, outside of using the Mike New Copper Composite Platter, which really does catapult the performance of the Techy into a different league.

However, I realise that the MN platter is not a cheap option, and so realistically, not many people are able to go there, so the Oyaide combo is, in my opinion, the next best option, and more than good enough for most people's needs.

When I do I will report back again for those who are sticking with the stock platter and like me (mild warps or otherwise), know and understand the benefits of good and stable coupling between the platter, mat and vinyl. What this combo brings to the table (no pun intended) for me, I will of course share as we do.

I think you should definitely go for the Oyaide combo, as I'm almost certain that you'll love what it does.

Have I missed it before, but I'm not sure you've mentioned what power supply you're using on your Techy?

Marco.

RobbieGong
03-05-2011, 11:41
The expensive way http://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=636

I guess one way would be to put a small mirror on to the Oyaide mat & sit the stylus on to the mirror then adjust the headshell so the reflection of the stylus is straight & inline with the real stylus.

This is a quote from an online setup page...

"Basic approximations can be done by eye, however, not all tonearms will allow azimuth adjustments. If you're tonearm does not allow these adjustments, the use of a shim, either under the tonearm base or between the cartridge and arm are your onyl options. The method generally prefered is to shim the base of the tonearm, as shimming the cartridge may affect it's coupling to the headshell or arm, and additionally may have an undesireable affect on the effective mass of the cartridge/arm combination.
Azimuth is generally set during the alignment process. If you have chosen a cartridge alignment protractor that allows you to align the cantilever itself, that line can also be used to try to judge azimuth. The most accurate method is to use tracks from a test record that have modulation in only one channel. For example, you play the track that is right channel only, and measure the voltage level in the left channel. Then you play the left channel only track and measure the voltage level in the right channel. The goal is to adjust the azimuth so that the levels of crosstalk are equal in both channels. Poorly adjusted azimuth can result in shifting of the soundstage and less than precise imaging."

http://www.deadwaxcafe.com/vzone/cartalign.asp

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttadjust.html

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/cartbasics.html
Excellent and much appreciated Alfie - Cheers for this !! My arm / headshell allows for adjustment of Azimuth so I'll look at the info you've kindly provided towards ensuring I'm getting the best out of set up. Nice one :)

RobbieGong
03-05-2011, 11:49
Hi Robert,

Thanks. It's simply a matter of relating one's experiences in the hope that others will read them and benefit in some way, too. That's always my motive for doing so :)

The Oyaide mat and weight, in conjunction with the stock Technics platter, is superb, and is indeed what I'd consider as the best combo, outside of using the Mike New Copper Composite Platter, which really does catapult the performance of the Techy into a different league.

However, I realise that the MN platter is not a cheap option, and so realistically, not many people are able to go there, so the Oyaide combo is, in my opinion, the next best option, and more than good enough for most people's needs.

I think you should definitely go for the Oyaide combo, as I'm almost certain that you'll love what it does.

Have I missed it before, but I'm not sure you've mentioned what power supply you're using on your Techy?

Marco.

Hi Marco - Definately gonna go down the road of this combo, for all the forementioned reasons including the more than favourable reports from others and yourself. And especially as I've only read the opposite of any stifling or dulling of the sonic presentation (as well as the benefit of mild warp sortage of course) - :respect:

Marco
03-05-2011, 12:04
Cool - nice one, mate. Which PSU are you using on your Techy - just the stock one or what? :)

Marco.

RobbieGong
03-05-2011, 16:25
Hi Marco, Yeah unfortunately it's the stock power supply at the mo. Again, I know you have plenty of experience re: the Technics deck and PSU's. I've read good things about the benefits of changing the stock PSU (removing a veil from the decks presentation as does the Mike New bearing) and have heard about the Timestep quite a bit. I've also noticed that the name Paul Hynes has been in the frame for a good while now. Can you (and/or anyone else) please offer up some info in respect of PSU's for the Technics deck and what's best. I've put a deposit on the Mike New bearing and need to be mindful of funds re: PSU - That said will take note and heade any advice and experience offered up. ;)