PDA

View Full Version : Decca RIP

Barry
14-04-2011, 23:26
Whilst doing a bit of research on vintage Decca cartridges, I stumbled across this: http://www.scena.org/columns/lebrecht/090204-NL-decca.html.

I knew that Decca had been gobbled up and was part of Polygram, itself now part of Sony, however hadn't realised that our once-illustrious record label is now reserved for 'cross-over' and other middle-of-the road pap. It make me very sad and angry to learn that, once again, world-class British companies who, if not disappearing, are now a shadow of their former selves. :steam:

Regards (from a former employee of Marconi Electronics; another world-class company that went down the pan)

Batty
15-04-2011, 00:24
I think we grabbed a bit of Marconi on it's way down, I work for BAe Systems.

It is sad to see the end of world class British companies.

StanleyB
15-04-2011, 07:28
Can anyone name a big Chinese electronics company? I can't.

HighFidelityGuy
15-04-2011, 08:28

Me neither.
They don't seem to really have companies that design a product and then sell it as their brand like we're used to in the west or Japan. They seem to be more into having faceless super manufacturers that make literally everything in one massive smoke billowing factory. But all the things they make are other peoples designs.

I'm sure there will be some exceptions to that but that's the way it comes across to me. Is that the sort of thing you were getting at?

DSJR
15-04-2011, 08:30
Decca closed its Belsize Road offices/mastering suites (there were many and spread over a couple of floors I remember) in the late nineties from memory and all the contents of the vaults and tape stores were transferred to a secure warehouse outside of London I understand. I think the "Audio Archiving Company" still operate from offices at these premises though and Paschal Byrne was a long-standing Decca mastering engineer I remember.

In these days of digital file transfer, one doesn't really need to be in the centre of things, as files can be sent electronically or posted. master tapes can be couriered around if necessary as they've probably always been. It's a shame though, as when decca closed and my friend was made redundant, they still had loads of preservation work to do. Assuming the tapes, shellacs and acetates are still ok, it'll be for another generation to handle I expect.

Marco
15-04-2011, 10:16

And if you could, would you be able to spell it! ;)

Marco.

hifi_dave
15-04-2011, 11:23
With all these Chinese companies masquerading as good ol' British companies such as Quad, Audiolab, Castle, KEF, Celestion, Wharfedale etc, etc, I wonder what the Chinese enthusiasts buy ?

I also wonder why our mags don't point out where the products they feature are made. It's a big thing with my customers, who invariably ask if they are not sure where a product is made.

Beobloke
15-04-2011, 11:50
It is sad to see the end of world class British companies.

Too true.

Adam (ex-Goodmans employee) :(

HighFidelityGuy
15-04-2011, 11:50
With all these Chinese companies masquerading as good ol' British companies such as Quad, Audiolab, Castle, KEF, Celestion, Wharfedale etc, etc, I wonder what the Chinese enthusiasts buy ?

I also wonder why our mags don't point out where the products they feature are made. It's a big thing with my customers, who invariably ask if they are not sure where a product is made.

I've heard European prestige brands are very popular with rich Chinese business folks. I guess it will be an odd market over there though as the rich/poor divide is so big but I guess that will gradually even out a bit more as their economy grows and a middle class develops.

hifi_dave
15-04-2011, 12:20
Yes, prestige British brands have always been popular in the Far East but do they buy new Quad, Wharfedale, Castle et al, in the mstaken belief that they are 'British' when they clearly are not any more ?

Marco
15-04-2011, 12:40
To be sure, they only buy the vintage stuff ;)

Marco.

hifi_dave
15-04-2011, 12:58
That's my feeling but all that Chinese manufactured 'British brand' gear must be sold somewhere and it ain't in GB...:scratch:

slate
15-04-2011, 13:07

Huawei.

I used to work at ericsson. Huawei became big competitors in the last decade by buying orders. Sometimes underbidding to a level we couldn't even produce the electronics at.... but some customers got burned because things didn't work; bad support etc.
They are state owned and have their private bank in Bank of China(state owned); so they can also fund customers projects cheaply... and again in a currency that isn't valued correctly... How to compete with that....
For years I have wondered why a case have not been tried at WTO... it is all politics :steam:

Marconi have affected my work life several times. In 95-99 my first project at Ericsson was for Mercury (Cable&Wireless) which involved Bosch's site in Backnang, Germany and we used Euristix in Dublin as consultants. The project was canned in 97/98 and in 99 Marconi bought Fore (Euristix) so we moved our projects home from Dublin.
When Ericsson bought 25% of Marconi we were suddenly working with Backnang again; Marconi bought bits of Bosch at some point.... life is full of circles.