PDA

View Full Version : PC not included...

StanleyB
13-09-2008, 18:47
http://www.homehifi.co.uk/images/aos1.jpg
Apologies for the quality and untidy mess in the picture. It’s a quick snap with the camera phone of one of my workbenches with my PC-less music server.

A while back I mentioned that I used just a hard drive with my music on it, directly connected to my DAC. This is the set up in use whilst I had to test something.

The HD is loaded up via a PC and can play back both audio and video files. It has a coax output, which I set to PCM for use with the DAC. The HD comes with a remote control so that you can scroll through your music folders and select your track to play.

The content has to be viewed on a display. I am using a TV with an AV input that accepts composite video. The connection method between the two also allows the TV to be used as a music playback medium. So you don’t have to use the DAC to listen to music all the time. Good for quick content scanning of the HD.

There is also a secret folder option;).

Total cost of the HD, TV, and DAC works out at £300. Far more flexible than a PC, and it doesn’t crash.

Marco
13-09-2008, 19:00
Nice one, Stan. Is that a pair of AKG headphones I spy there in the corner?

Marco.

StanleyB
13-09-2008, 19:04
Is that a pair of AKG headphones I spy there in the corner?
Yep. There are a couple of other makes and models out of shot that are also used for testing purposes mainly.

Marco
13-09-2008, 19:21
K701s? If so, snap - they're quality :)

Marco.

nat8808
19-09-2008, 06:08
Err, snap with the soldering-iron on the left...

Do those harddrive media players sound ok?

StanleyB
19-09-2008, 06:46
Those HD players are fantastic. The one I have can be operated as if it is a DVD/CD player. So you can go to a particular track in any CD Folder as if you were looking for a track on a CD. The digital output is flawless and far more stable than a CD or DVD. The latter two can suffer from skipping etc. The HD doesn't skip, doesn't suffer from dirty laser pickup, and doesn't scratch my discs.
It is also better than a PC, since there are no interruptions such as incoming mail warnings whilst you are listening to music.
And it is flashy. I have had quite a few people email me for further info on my set up. I reckon that this is the first time that most folks would have seen an actual HD system like this in use anywhere on the net.

John
20-09-2008, 15:51
Can you explain your system in detail the equipment you use how you connecting it. It sounds a really interestng set up

StanleyB
21-09-2008, 00:38
A few people have asked me that same question. So I am going to take a couple of pics and make like a running instruction set. I'll put it on my site and let you guys know the link.

Stan

John
21-09-2008, 05:59
Cheers Stan