PDA

View Full Version : My lights have gone off

Jac Hawk
10-04-2011, 18:41
Hi guys, i recently bought a Trio KA80 amp which works a treat apart from the lights behind the push buttons have stopped working, no big deal just take it apart and fix the problem, well the problem is i cant seem to be able to get the front panel off to get at the switches:scratch:, i've looked all over for a service manual but with no joy, any suggestions would be most apreciated.

Rare Bird
10-04-2011, 19:07
With the cover off the facia should be screwed into the tin chassis each end, you might have to remove the control knobs to free the facia.

Jac Hawk
10-04-2011, 19:13
This model has a flip down metal facia, it comes off easy, then you have 3 recessed dials at one side and the volume at the other, they don't seem to come off though.

Reid Malenfant
10-04-2011, 19:15
Have you tried pulling the knobs off? Make sure you set them to zero or centre detent! You may well find nuts underneath Mike ;)

Jac Hawk
10-04-2011, 20:25
yup i've tried pulling them off but they don't want to budge, and i don't want to exert too much force on them and break something.

greenhomeelectronics
11-04-2011, 09:00
It might be stating teh obvious but sometimes there is a little hex head grub screw holding the knobs in place. If not then a good strong pull witll get them off, you are not likely to damage anything.
Dave.

Rare Bird
11-04-2011, 23:38
This model has a flip down metal facia, it comes off easy, then you have 3 recessed dials at one side and the volume at the other, they don't seem to come off though.

They will, the volume has a grub as mentioned by others will pull off to reveal all the pot fixing nuts holding the facia.It's down to those scrws i mentioned then.

Mike PM

Jac Hawk
29-05-2011, 13:44
Well thanks to Andre (he sent me the Service manual) i've got the front off :champagne:but what a job, 1st off there was indeed a small grub screw holding the volume control on, that came off with a small alan key, after that things got bad :doh: the bass, treble and balance knobs wouldn't budge, i tried every way of pulling them off but nothing seemed to grip tight enough without damaging the plastic, i even looked at the schematics again just to make sure i wasn't missing something, but no they were meant to be pulled off, eventually i drilled a small hole in the bit of the knob you grab and turn and used a small piece of wire to eventually get them off, then i found out why they were on so tight, someone had used a spot of superglue on each knob:doh: how stupid can people get, anyway i have cleaned up the pots and ordered the bulbs needed for the bits that light up, so all i need to do now is repair the knobs i drilled holes in and put it back together, while it's apart though I'll give it a good going over, maybe replace the RCA connectors with gold equivalents and check the bias as well as replace the power cord, i would go further and replace the smoothing caps but this amp was bought for the "cheap as chips" challenge so i have to be careful what i spend:rolleyes: