PDA

View Full Version : What HIFI 5 STAR for my DAC

StanleyB
10-09-2008, 16:15
When is the last time any DAC won a What HIFI 5 Star? I guess I shall have to buy the magazine and frame that page:gig:.
I better get myself a designer suit for the award presentation:smoking:

http://whathifi.com/Review/Beresford-TC-7510/

thrunobulaxx
10-09-2008, 16:58
When is the last time any DAC won a What HIFI 5 Star? I guess I shall have to buy the magazine and frame that page:gig:.

It was only a matter of time Stan, really happy for you, lets hope one of the better mags do the same ;o)

snapper
10-09-2008, 17:01
:wow:

Congrats Stan.

:respect:

jandl100
10-09-2008, 17:24
Excellent - a well deserved accolade. Congratulations, Stan - I hope it brings you lots of new business! :)

Marco
10-09-2008, 17:54
When is the last time any DAC won a What HIFI 5 Star? I guess I shall have to buy the magazine and frame that page
I better get myself a designer suit for the award presentation.

When you get it, send the page to me (I'll PM you my address) and I'll frame it nicely for you F.O.C to mark the occasion on behalf of AOS :)

Btw, if you're in doubt of my framing credentials, check out my profile ;)

Great news, mate, I wish you the best and hope it brings you more success :clap:

Off you go and have a few of these - you deserve it! :barrel:

Marco.

pure sound
10-09-2008, 18:24
Congratulations. It'll be interesting to see what the effect of that is. Once upon a time it was a powerful incentive for potential customers, not sure its quite as influential now but have fun dealing with the response!

Cotlake
10-09-2008, 18:36
Hi Stan,

Well done. I hope it results in a little prosperity. Of course it does mean some of us will have to own up to using WHF 5 star kit ;)

Best wishes,

Greg

StanleyB
10-09-2008, 21:19
When you get it, send the page to me (I'll PM you my address) and I'll frame it nicely for you F.O.C to mark the occasion on behalf of AOS :)

Quoting from another Stanley: 'I certainly will:).'

A massive thanks to all you guys, both fanboys and naysayers, who have spurned me on to keep refining the original unit so that I could capture a wider user base. I have been reluctant to develop a wider range of products with the same 'more bangs for your bucks' principle. Without any sort of street cred it is a hard job shifting boxes.

Marco
11-09-2008, 06:25
No worries, Stan. It's always nice to see the 'little guy' being successful. Long may it continue!

You know you've got a 'safe house' here on AOS anytime to promote your products :)

Marco.

Filterlab
11-09-2008, 09:01

That's absolutely fantastic news Stan, and about bloody time too!

Yomanze
11-09-2008, 09:15
Great stuff Stan, well done! I must say that your DAC has totally kicked my arse for turning my back on CD. ;) Next step is to get my Sky box & laptop hooked up which really shouldn't be an option at this price! 5 stars well deserved in my opinion.

Peter Stockwell
11-09-2008, 11:16
I must say that your DAC has totally kicked my arse for turning my back on CD.

¿que?

Marco
11-09-2008, 11:26
He means it's that good he doesn't want to give up CD :)

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
11-09-2008, 12:07
Marco,

I assumed as much, but wanted some expansion on the subject.

Marco
11-09-2008, 12:30
LOL. I see. It came across as if you didn't understand at all what he meant.

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
11-09-2008, 12:35
LOL. I see. It came across as if you didn't understand at all what he meant.

Marco.

I inferred that he regretted thinking CD's were crap now he has the beresford DAC, but I don't know what he implied ;)

Marco
11-09-2008, 13:21
The power of communicating on the Internet, eh? :scratch:

:eyebrows:

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
11-09-2008, 14:30
The power of communicating on the Internet, eh? :scratch:

:eyebrows:

Marco.

There you go again assuming we communicating :doh: .....:lolsign:, seriously when you see the flame wars about '60s teatrolleys or kettle leads, you can see that it's a two edged sword. But, I would probably still be listening to a rubber band wobble deck if The internet didn't exist ;)

jandl100
11-09-2008, 21:55
Deleted - but folks should know what AOS members get up to elsewhere when it's nasty and skullduggerous, I think.

Marco
11-09-2008, 22:20
Jerry, golden rule, mate - don't being diputes from other forums over here. Keith is also a member of AOS and I don't want any 'afters'. Please edit your post accordingly. Ta muchly :)

Marco.

purite audio
11-09-2008, 22:21
Jerry I seem to recollect you were most indignant when Goldmund were discovered to be rebadging Pioneers, I simply wanted to know whether all the TEC 7510 dacs had the same innards, sorry if that is not being 'nice'.

Marco
11-09-2008, 22:28
Ahem!

Guys, I really don't want this discussion going off-topic and turning into a squabble. If I see any further evidence of this the posts will simply be deleted and the thread locked until things are back to normal.

Marco.

StanleyB
11-09-2008, 23:22
I simply wanted to know whether all the TEC 7510 dacs had the same innards,
No they don't.

I find myself in the position where I keep having to answer the same questions over and over again.
The fact of the matter is that I am a product designer, and have been so for nearly two decades. But until recently when i set up my own business I have been designing stuff for other people under their brand name. My forte is low cost solutions, not high end stuff. When I started off by myself two years ago I had no capital to start with. So I made a deal with TEC, who I have been doing design work for since 1996, under which they can sell my designs according to their own specs in return for them manufacturing my own products. It is a win-win situation.
You can understand why I get a bit peed off when people refer to TEC as if I am selling his product under my name. He does more than 100 products, so if I was just re-badging I could easily sell more than just a DAC. I sell TEC products under the TEC brand name, so why would I want to go through the added expense and pick on just one product to stick my name on, when I could sell the TEC version cheaper and shift larger quantities?

Some people just refuse to give me credit for my work, even though I have been on the scene far longer than you think. Do I have to show you my prototypes on veroboard, with the bill of material invoices from the likes of Maplin, or drawings in various stages and amendments, before the sceptics shut up? No wonder British engineering is going down the pan. We are not considered smart enough to be able to come up with original ideas and have them made. It's only the Americans, Germans, and Far Easteners that are accepted as having any brains to come up with great ideas.

leo
11-09-2008, 23:54
Bit late again getting on the forum

Anyway congrats on the review Stan! theres only a handful of UK designed products left now so respect to you mate;)

Leo

jandl100
12-09-2008, 06:29
Post Deleted (without prompting ;)) ....

I do think it's a bit off though when one dealer stabs another in the back ..... :( ...... there should be forum rules about that, too. Actually, I think it's called Trolling.

Beechwoods
12-09-2008, 07:14
Sensimilia - Stan - you should be very pleased, and proud, to have achieved this recognition for the hard work and time you will have invested in this venture. Not only is it something to have created a well regarded piece of kit, but to have got it out of prototype and into production is no mean feat. Especially with the market dominated by the big names! Good luck and ignore the naysayers!

thrunobulaxx
12-09-2008, 07:35
Jerry I seem to recollect you were most indignant when Goldmund were discovered to be rebadging Pioneers, I simply wanted to know whether all the TEC 7510 dacs had the same innards, sorry if that is not being 'nice'.

I have deleted my post, i see that the posts that had set me off on one are now gone .
Just an old muswell hillbilly getting out of bed the wrong side today i`m afraid.

Marco
12-09-2008, 08:36
John, mate, I really don't think that's the case.

Guys,

Keith has his customers and Stan has his. They're both entitled to earn a living however they see fit. Keith was only seeking information about the origins of Stan's DAC, which he now has. There was no malice, as far as I can see, intended towards Stan or his products.

Let's keep this thread positive - it's about Stan winning an award, nothing else. Talk about his DAC, by all means, but I won't let it degenerate into a petty squabble about who's selling what to their customers.

<Final warning>

Marco.

Marco
12-09-2008, 08:40
Post Deleted (without prompting ;)) ....

Thank you, Jerry!

Now let's all chill and put on our happy hats :)

Marco.

thrunobulaxx
12-09-2008, 08:43
John, mate, I really don't think that's the case.

Guys,

Keith has his customers and Stan has his. They're both entitled to earn a living however they see fit. Keith was only seeking information about the origins of Stan's DAC, which he now has. There was no malice, as far as I can see, intended towards Stan or his products.

Let's keep this thread positive - it's about Stan winning an award, nothing else. Talk about his DAC, by all means, but I won't let it degenerate into a petty squabble about who's selling what to their customers.

<Final warning>

Marco.
Maybe i got out of bed the wrong side so my apologies, i`m afraid i have seen what Stan has had to deal with in other places and even taken stick myself for endorsing his product.
I guess i bit.:doh:

purite audio
12-09-2008, 08:52
Yes no malice intended, Stan doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to crow about somebody else's design, there are however an increasing number of products that are simply re-badged look at the Levinson/ Red Rose products, Goldmund /Pioneer etc.
Stan's dac does the job, and diminishing returns kicks in pretty hard, as demonstrated when we compared a £600 ACK with a £33k DCS Scarlatti.

Marco
12-09-2008, 08:54
John,

Yep mate - no worries. I totally understand. Old wounds take a while to heal.

But like I said once before elsewhere: this isn't "other places". This is The Art of Sound. I would not allow Stan, or anyone else for that matter, to take un-called for abuse on any subject so it's time for people to lower their defence shields.

Eliminating 'bun fights' and providing a friendly and constructive atmosphere in which to discuss hi-fi and music is a core part of our ethos, and it always will be :)

Marco.

thrunobulaxx
12-09-2008, 09:34
John,

Yep mate - no worries. I totally understand. Old wounds take a while to heal.

But like I said once before elsewhere: this isn't "other places". This is The Art of Sound. I would not allow Stan, or anyone else for that matter, to take un-called for abuse on any subject so it's time for people to lower their defence shields.

Eliminating 'bun fights' and providing a friendly and constructive atmosphere in which to discuss hi-fi and music is a core part of our ethos, and it always will be :)

Marco.

Post deleted Marco, sorry.

Marco
12-09-2008, 10:12
Ees cool, amigo :smoking:

Marco.

Filterlab
12-09-2008, 11:34
...there are however an increasing number of products that are simply re-badged look at the Levinson/ Red Rose products, Goldmund /Pioneer etc...

That's true, but it's been the case for a long time, and many manufacturers have to have a starting point. For example; Russ Andrews, Townshend and Esoteric - these manufacturers whole basis is re-engineering other manufacturers' equipment (ok, so TEAC and Esoteric are the same company, but you know what I mean). Not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion, and does justice to the 'lower' echelons of hi-fi as quality products worthy of the basis of high end products.

:)

StanleyB
12-09-2008, 12:47
Anyone knows where the Cambridge Audio factory is?

Filterlab
12-09-2008, 14:39
Anyone knows where the Cambridge Audio factory is?

Beijing. :lol:

Yomanze
27-09-2008, 11:49
The Beresford is outperforming my Technics SL1210 / Denon DL103 in my system. I'm pretty shocked to say the least. Using a Marantz CD65DX (CDM 4/11 transport) and Stan's coax cable.

Incredible liquid, analogue sound without any digital haze or artefacts. I can listen through entire days, and not get fatigued. This was not easy with my previous experiences of CD (have owned modded Rotel 965BX & few other players). What surprises me how well-defined individual musicians and instruments are in the stereo image. My speakers have completely disappeared!

I don't really like to write reviews these days, but just wanted to give a big thumbs up.

Yomanze
27-09-2008, 17:50
There was a noticable burn-in period with the Beresford, and the changes after a couple of weeks are audible. Things open up and get smoother. Someone on another forum had the chance to compare out of the box and run-in DACs & noticed the same.

It isn't going to stop me playing my John Martyn vinyls, but it has given me a lot more faith in the CD format & now my phono stage needs to be upgraded! I do think that CD is a better format for Stax 'phones though. You can really hear the stylus in the groove with their gear if you know what I mean!

aquapiranha
27-09-2008, 22:27
There was a noticable burn-in period with the Beresford, and the changes after a couple of weeks are audible. Things open up and get smoother. Someone on another forum had the chance to compare out of the box and run-in DACs & noticed the same.

It isn't going to stop me playing my John Martyn vinyls, but it has given me a lot more faith in the CD format & now my phono stage needs to be upgraded! I do think that CD is a better format for Stax 'phones though. You can really hear the stylus in the groove with their gear if you know what I mean!

There seem to be so many versions of this DAC available, which is the latest? and how much does it cost??

Many thanks!

StanleyB
27-09-2008, 22:32
The latest version is the MK6/3, which was released in October 2007.

The price is £120.

thrunobulaxx
28-09-2008, 07:53
There seem to be so many versions of this DAC available, which is the latest? and how much does it cost??

Many thanks!

There have not been that many versions to my knowledge, for me it was a Mk3 first, then 6, the 6.3 arrived soon after with the "virtual DC" after power supply trials with bigger PSU`s / battery etc.

These changes came about after Stan sought the opinions of forum members here and there, its just been "fine tuned" from the Mk3 onwards as far as i know.

It really does make big improvements when used with PC`c, Sky boxes etc, and my pioneer stable platter is more or less redundant, i have gone over to H/D, something i once thought i would never do.

I dont think there is much difference between my vinyl and digital sources at last, i`m happy with both now.:)

Yomanze
28-09-2008, 09:05
Just picked up The Eagles - 1971 to 1975 on vinyl from a charity shop. Technics back up to scratch. :P

StanleyB
28-09-2008, 10:12
Just picked up The Eagles - 1971 to 1975 on vinyl from a charity shop. Technics back up to scratch. :P
One of my A-B sound tests involves comparing the Eagles-Hotel California between vinyl and CD through TT and my DAC.

aquapiranha
29-09-2008, 09:25
There have not been that many versions to my knowledge, for me it was a Mk3 first, then 6, the 6.3 arrived soon after with the "virtual DC" after power supply trials with bigger PSU`s / battery etc.

These changes came about after Stan sought the opinions of forum members here and there, its just been "fine tuned" from the Mk3 onwards as far as i know.

It really does make big improvements when used with PC`c, Sky boxes etc, and my pioneer stable platter is more or less redundant, i have gone over to H/D, something i once thought i would never do.

I dont think there is much difference between my vinyl and digital sources at last, i`m happy with both now.:)

Thanks John (and others!) I may want to try one at some point, though I am eager to get the soldering iron out and threaten the amp with it too...

thrunobulaxx
02-10-2008, 17:30
Stan told me a while back MF wanted one of his DAC`s, i guess this is why.

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/vseries/vdac.html
A whole new series, i guess they wanted to compare it to the Beresford, but i heard a review of it, stans and the new dacmagic put the MF last of the 3 in performance.

StanleyB
02-10-2008, 19:20
A whole new series, i guess they wanted to compare it to the Beresford, but i heard a review of it, stans and the new dacmagic put the MF last of the 3 in performance.
The DacMagic was rated higher than my TC-7510. But I sent What HIFI a brand new DAC that would have required burn in first before it would have performed as well as it can. Maybe I should have sent them one of my test units that already had a burn in:doh:. I wonder how well the DacMagic would have faired against mine then:steam:.

Yomanze
04-10-2008, 09:25
The DacMagic was rated higher than my TC-7510. But I sent What HIFI a brand new DAC that would have required burn in first before it would have performed as well as it can. Maybe I should have sent them one of my test units that already had a burn in:doh:. I wonder how well the DacMagic would have faired against mine then:steam:.

You should always send out ready burned-in units Stan, you know that. :P

StanleyB
04-10-2008, 12:25
You should always send out ready burned-in units Stan, you know that. :P
Yeah...

Yomanze
04-10-2008, 20:13
I'll likely get a DACMagic in for a listen next month Stan.

StanleyB
04-10-2008, 21:00
I wonder how it would stack up against your TC-7510. That's had a decent burn in time by now. Keep us informed;).

Yomanze
12-10-2008, 08:13
I've found Cambridge Audio and Naim players to have that digital 'sheen' that I hate! They have resolution, but the sound is too etched and artificial to me. I'd take a Rotel 965BX and reclock it anyday. This is all to my personal taste of course! Isn't it funny that older CDPs sound far more analogue - talk about progress!

Marco
12-10-2008, 10:55
Isn't it funny that older CDPs sound far more analogue - talk about progress!

What progress? :scratch: Yom, I totally agree!

However, for a modern DAC, the Beresford offers excellent sound-per-pound value and punches well above its price level in terms of performance. In that context it's a no-brainer purchase.

Marco.

Yomanze
12-10-2008, 17:19
Marco, it'll more than do until I've built my TDA1541A DAC. Got the essential parts, but my 5 month old daughter has sapped my time away (in the best possible way of course). ;)

StanleyB
14-10-2008, 09:40
Home Cinema Choice has now published a review of the Cambridge DacMagic.

From that review:
'It's probably worth getting a word or three in at this point about the filters, because they do indeed have an important effect on the sound – nothing gross, but the way the sound registers on the ear over the course of a prolonged track varies between them.

To the extent that each can be succinctly summarised, the linear phase is clean and tidy with a particularly well-controlled bass, but can sometimes seem a little clinical by comparison with minimum phase, which seems slightly warmer but perhaps a shade less precise.

Meanwhile, steep is superlatively detailed in simple music – single voice/instrument, or just a few – but slightly loses out to linear in very dense textures.
[]
Standards of CD replay being what they are, it probably won't lift many modern players beyond recognition, but it could give a new lease of life to some older models and for computer-based music replay it is an excellent choice.

The remarks about the filters is an important one IMO. I myself have struggled to understand why different recordings react differently to different types of digital filters. That inconsistency is reason why I don't use the digital filter in the DAC chip.

I am a bit disappointed with their conclusion that the DacMagic probably won't lift many standard (CD/DVD) players beyond recognition. Many standard players have less than perfect DAC implementation and are in the whole easily improved upon when they are used as a transport with a good DAC.

Luckily you guys needn't have any fears. My TC-7510 does not suffer from any of those faults:). It's take more than a bit of magic to improve on my design...

leo
14-10-2008, 10:52
Its funny that theres already a huge demand for the Cambridge dac , read on various forums and its surprising how many people are interested in the thing.
I've only heard their 840c cdp used both as cdp and a dac with its spdif input.

leo
14-10-2008, 10:59
ASRC usually does add a lot of signature and as already noted its results tends to vary with the material
Even using the bypass option avialble on some of these ASRC chips still adds a flavour to sound IMO

StanleyB
14-10-2008, 11:23
From what I understand the DacMagic is based on the 740C. I think a lot of people have been too eager to believe it is a stripped down 840C...
It ain't easy building a high end beater, and judging by the results my TC-7510 still reigns:). The DacMagic will no doubt draw sales away from me, but the people who are really interested in sound improvements are hopefully going to bite the bullet and buy my cheaper option.

leo
14-10-2008, 14:53
In all honesty I wasn't that impressed with the 840c, don't get me wrong its a decent player but wasn't as good as the hype in my opinion, guess I expect too much:lol:

AD1955 used in the 840c uses a more complex external output stage etc than the cheaper and easier WM8740 used in the 740c
It wouldn't make sense anyway making their budget dac to be on par with their top cdp

Thing is Stan your dac performs nice and easily worth its price, theres other units out there that may sound a bit better but look how much extra you have to pay, the thing people need to ask themself is it worth the sometimes huge extra in cost ;)

Theres those that are happy enough with their purchases and others wanting to go as high as they possibably can, in a lot of cases I know of friends who have spent god knows how much just to get marginal improvements

purite audio
14-10-2008, 15:07
Leo Hi, that is exactly my experience, there are gains to be had but at considerable cost .

leo
14-10-2008, 15:25
Just some of us diyers that tend to be constantly tweaking :doh:

It still amazes me the amount of rubbish that is out there though, we could soon fill a thread that names and shames the shite! better not though eh:lolsign:

StanleyB
14-10-2008, 15:51
There is a backlash already building up based on the initial reviews of the DacMagic. I guess a few people have waited so long, they are just less than impressed by the outcome compared to their expectation. Personally, I suspect the upsampling method that was used in the DacMagic. Reminds me of the troubles that DBX inflicted on audio signals.

leo
14-10-2008, 16:31
Unfortunately theres a lot of people who just rely on these reviews when deciding what products to buy:mental:

Last time I tried a SRC4392 on the I2S in one of the dacs I ended up ripping it out after spending too much time faffing about with it

jandl100
15-10-2008, 06:07
I sold my Audio Synthesis DAX Decade (rrp £3.5k) a few days back, and am now using my old Beresford Mk3 DAC. Sounds bloody good, it was always my fave of Stan's work (although I've not tried them all), and I'm in no hurry to find a replacement - in fact, I'm looking forward to trying Stan's soon-to-be-released 7510+. :)

Chris
15-10-2008, 07:25
Hi jerry,
If you have a Mk.3, have a word with Stanley about the simple mod. he sent me details of. If you use your DAc for Cd replay I can heartily recommend it - another 10 veils lifted, much better bass etc through a Sugden CD21/A21a set-up.
Chris

jandl100
15-10-2008, 07:42
Hi jerry,
If you have a Mk.3, have a word with Stanley about the simple mod. he sent me details of. If you use your DAc for Cd replay I can heartily recommend it - another 10 veils lifted, much better bass etc through a Sugden CD21/A21a set-up.
Chris

Nope - you would need an industrial strength crowbar to part me from my Mk3 ;)

I'd be happy to try someone else's modded unit though :)

Chris
15-10-2008, 10:30
Jerry,

´Nuff said. I never even opened my gob.

Chris

StanleyB
15-10-2008, 10:48
Jerry didn't mean it in a bad way. His MK3 is a limited edition version of which less than 40 were ever made. Even up to today they still fetch between £60 to £80 on eBay, and the Champagne coloured version is a real rarity.

By the way guys, following advise and suggestions from people in the know, I finally managed to get my hands on a website address that reflects my brand name. Have a look at http://www.beresford.me
Feel free to make any suggestions for additions etc via PM or email if need be. I haven't yet made the site address known anywhere else, until I am happy that it is A-1.

Stan

Marco
15-10-2008, 11:38
Jerry didn't mean it in a bad way...

And Chris didn't take it that way. Read what he wrote again, carefully ;)

Your new website is looking good!

Marco.

Chris
15-10-2008, 11:43
Hi Stan,

No offence taken at all. Au contraire, I find it really refreshing to find someone who knows what he likes and at the same time is very happy with what he has got. A difficult combination for most of us, I fear. I´m still working on it but I´m getting nearer, I hope.
All the best,
Chris

jandl100
16-10-2008, 18:25
Yup, there's something about the Mk3 Beresford DAC I have that really just ticks a lot of my most important musical boxes. :) It's not that I haven't tried 'real' (i.e. expensive) DACs .... I've had more than many folks could shake a stick at, and some of them have been damn fine and shown the Beresford a thing or two. But it always feels nice to return to Stan's Mk3 - a hugely musical device imho.

muffinman
19-10-2008, 19:36
I've just bought one of Stan's DACs. initially i could hear no difference at all and began to think that i'd been a little hasty adding a DAC to brand new electronics. A couple of days later and i have to echo many of the previous statements i've read - it's just so musical
subsequently my t/t is lying dormant whilst i listen to tunes of a HDD.

nice one Stan

Gazjam
22-10-2008, 22:45
..you should hear the latest one.

very VERY musical.

muffinman
23-10-2008, 17:53
..you should hear the latest one.

very VERY musical.

Please don't be telling me my 10day old dac is already out of date!:steam:

StanleyB
23-10-2008, 20:24
Please don't be telling me my 10day old dac is already out of date!:steam:
It's an optional modification. I have now put details of the mod21 price on www.beresford.me for those interested in getting it fitted as standard. Existing owners can have it done at the same price, plus postage. Drop off and pick up also possible if you wish to save on the postage.

Peter Stockwell
24-10-2008, 09:33
Is the 7510 MK6/3 + Mod21 = 7510+ ?

StanleyB
24-10-2008, 10:29
Is the 7510 MK6/3 + Mod21 = 7510+ ?
No. It is a new design in the same case to keep cost down. I'll post specs in due course.

The MK6/3 & mod21 = MK6/4. Thanks for those who took part in the initial trials;).
I hope to put the MK6/4 up on my new site over the weekend. Price of the MK6/4 is a bit higher due to a 20% loss of the value of the £ against the U$. The MK6/3 will still be available at its normal price for those who wish to do the mod themselves and save on the price increase.
Discount on the MOD21 to members of AoS who have ANY version of the TC-7510 is available via PM. This is to avoid any non-members trying to scam in without joining up:ner:.

leo
24-10-2008, 10:43
You old tease:lol:

Gazjam
25-10-2008, 02:01
The difference between my old Dac MK6/III and the anlologue type involvement I'm getting from the latest mod (its a big step up) is not just a little difference.

Its worthy of a new version number of the Dac - its a different product.

Difference between Hifi and music, I'd say.

...no, I'm not a plant. Just a happpy music lover. :)

StanleyB
25-10-2008, 07:18
Bad news is that the factory delivery of the 6/4 is delayed for a week. Good news is that I can still do the mod on an individual basis upon request.

jandl100
27-10-2008, 09:31
Difference between Hifi and music, I'd say.

To be fair, Gaz, Stan's DACs have always made music ... but Stan does like to tinker and many folks would agree that they get better as new mods come out.

.... still waiting here for the 7510+, Stan! ;)

StanleyB
27-10-2008, 12:26
To be fair, Gaz, Stan's DACs have always made music ... but Stan does like to tinker and many folks would agree that they get better as new mods come out.

.... still waiting here for the 7510+, Stan! ;)
I have been swamped for orders of the MK6/4, and I am just about out of stock till the weekend. That 7510+ is slipping a bit back once again. But I should be able to get you to beta test a sample for me next week or so. The case printers are not able to accommodate me till the end of November at the earliest. So I am using production line booking time to knock out the MK6/4 in order to get the price a bit down compared to doing the upgrade manually.

Stan

Labarum
27-10-2008, 14:55
What is the turn round time for a manual Mod21 upgrade of a relatively new box posted back to you?

StanleyB
27-10-2008, 17:23
What is the turn round time for a manual Mod21 upgrade of a relatively new box posted back to you?
Same day if possible.

Acorn3a
27-10-2008, 21:10

I sent mine to stan on a wednesday,and i got it back on the saturday,i thought that was quick.:)

armpower
28-10-2008, 21:36
I have now put details of the mod21 price on www.beresford.me for those interested in getting it fitted as standard. Existing owners can have it done at the same price, plus postage.

I've had a mk6/3 for about 3 weeks trying to replace a Meridian 508 24 CD player but feel that I need something a little better.

Does this upgrade make an obvious improvement?

I can't see the info at the mo., is mod21 the kind of thing that can be fitted/performed by the user ?

StanleyB
29-10-2008, 06:56
I've had a mk6/3 for about 3 weeks trying to replace a Meridian 508 24 CD player but feel that I need something a little better.

Does this upgrade make an obvious improvement?Money back guarantee.

I can't see the info at the mo., is mod21 the kind of thing that can be fitted/performed by the user ?
Which end do you hold a soldering iron? I am trying to get an idea of your soldering skills.

Covenant
29-10-2008, 07:34
It's an optional modification. I have now put details of the mod21 price on www.beresford.me for those interested in getting it fitted as standard. Existing owners can have it done at the same price, plus postage. Drop off and pick up also possible if you wish to save on the postage.

Where abouts on your website-there is a heading for mods but nothing to click on. :mental:

StanleyB
29-10-2008, 08:10
Things have been moving faster than expected! The MOD21 has now been fitted to a whole batch of MK6/3, and that is now the MK6/4 for convenience. I have had a rash of inquiries for upgrades to the older TC-7510, and there ain't enough time in a day to mod older units AND the MK6/3 at the same time. So I had to act accordingly...

For the mod price, send me a PM. AoS folks qualify for a lower price;).

Covenant
29-10-2008, 08:35
Thanks Stanley,
My 6/3 will be in the post to you today. I disconnected it last night and couldnt listen to my Squeezebox for even five minutes because of the difference in quality. So get in back quickly please! :)

StanleyB
29-10-2008, 08:42
Shall do:).

Gazjam
29-10-2008, 11:05

Does this upgrade make an obvious improvement?

See my earlier post about my own findings of the mod21. I go into some detail with what I found.

I had a Mk6/III before the upgrade.

Its very very good. I found it to be a big step up.

=======================================
ORIGINAL REVIEW
=======================================
The Dacs been running in for a couple of days...and I cant believe the improvement to the Mk6/III. Wonderful.

If I thought it was shit I would say so (Stan knows that ) but this thing plays music in a way I haven't heard since I last listened to a mate's Linn LP12 turntable.

Stans right, there is SO MUCH MORE musical detail getting through, and not in a "hifi" kind of way....you just pick up on little fret noises, breath sounds...guitars SOUND like guitars...and have size and weight behind them. Its very VERY musical...forget the hifi.

This thing really rocks - hard.

From cold it sounded "bigger" than the old Dac, and you could tell the bass was through the floor. But it sounded a bit "hifi", a bit too up-front I suppose.

As it was warming up it started changing its character quite markedly. Whereas initially everything in the mix was coming at you all on one layer, and was a bit congested in the middle, after a while - things in the song started moving into their right places in the soundstage. Voices became less forward, but a lot clearer and "realistic" sounding. Voices had weight and space all around them. Bass guitars became rock solid, more focussed and had very realistic sounding decay. You could tell whether the bass player was using a plectrum or his fingers.
I noticed all this stuff without even trying - it kept grabbing my attention.

I'm noticing all sorts of new stuff engineered in the studio on albums I've had for years.
The Beatles I've noticed in particular. Theres songs where they are using two piano's playing at the same time, and you can tell the tonal differences between them and where they dont QUITE get them playing together perfectly. Before I had just thought there was one.

Stuff like that.

Old Phil Spector 60s "wall of sound" recordings too - my God these sound almost holographic. No kidding. Its in the room.
The sensation of the speakers disappearing and multiple layers of production coming from the wall in front of you is not like anything I've heard in my system before - at least not since I had my Rega 3/K9 years ago, and I dont remember it being this vivid.

Heres a good one, kind of best illustrates what I'm talking about.

I was reading the paper with the squeezebox on random, and the Ramones came on. I ripped the original CD in Flac lossless, but hey - its the Ramones right?
Compressed guitar punk music played at 11?
I know the album very well, I play it in the car a lot, so when it came on through the new Dac, I thought it was a live recording of the song I didn't know I had from a compilation CD or whatever.
It sounded LIVE - the singer was well in front of the guitars, drums were "thwacking" and sounding very realistic and I could actually make out what the lyrics were!
After a minute or so I realised that it was the same recording I thought I knew like the back of my hand. It was spooky.

Classical music sounds absolutely massive, its easy to tell the size of the venue from a recording...I've never had this in my system before.
Dynamics start and stop instantly with decay and resonance if its in a recording...it can feel almost "physical". bass is solid and through the floor. The treble shimmers and can be incisive and hard hitting (think "Theme from Shaft" cymbals cutting through the air so much you can feel them) or very sweet and smooth, think Eva Cassidy or Norah Jones....its beguiling.
================================================== ==========

It just gets to the music a lot better.

StanleyB
29-10-2008, 11:32
I am not sleeping well at all these days. The MK6 with mOD21 is shifting like hot buns, and I have had to rush through a special production of 100 pieces just so I could get the cost down of fitting the mod to the MK6/3. Otherwise it is going to be too close to call price wise with the 7510+. Even more worrying is that some folks have started to put down a deposit on the 7510+ after just hearing the 1st prototype. Talk about being under pressure:(.

Filterlab
29-10-2008, 11:35
Talk about being under pressure:(.

Better than being bankrupt and losing your house mate. :) Glad you're keeping busy, your link's up in the Links Box now by the way.

StanleyB
29-10-2008, 11:39
Better than being bankrupt and losing your house mate. :) Glad you're keeping busy, your link's up in the Links Box now by the way.
House? I am living in a box:lolsign:.

Thanks for the link. Marco also mentioned the good news to me:).

Filterlab
29-10-2008, 11:54
House? I am living in a box:lolsign:.

A box made of bricks no doubt? :)

Thanks for the link. Marco also mentioned the good news to me:).

Nay probs mate.

armpower
29-10-2008, 12:55
Money back guarantee.

What, you mean return the current one and do a swap ?

If so then what was the time limit ? (I've now checked and original order was on 29/9/2008.)

Or do you mean that the work is guaranteed ?

Which end do you hold a soldering iron? I am trying to get an idea of your soldering skills.
Which one, the 12Watt, 18Watt, 25Watt or 80Watt ?

Usually the cold end but I've been burning my fingers since I was about 8 years old - now 48.

If it's a simple component swap then fine but if we are talking surface mount stuff then too tricky.

From reading other posts it definitely looks like a good move so will probably be in touch.

armpower
29-10-2008, 13:23
Voices became less forward, but a lot clearer and "realistic" sounding. Voices had weight and space all around them. The treble shimmers and can be incisive and hard hitting (think "Theme from Shaft" cymbals cutting through the air so much you can feel them) or very sweet and smooth, think Eva Cassidy or Norah Jones....its beguiling.

Thanks for that, those are the kinds of improvements I'm looking for - the Mk3 seems pretty good already at the floor shaking stuff too me. I think the Squeezebox/Beresford is an amazing combination for the price but still felt the Meridian 508 was more "beguiling", voices grab you and make you want to listen (but then it is/was a much more expensive bit of kit).

StanleyB
29-10-2008, 13:27
What, you mean return the current one and do a swap ?

If so then what was the time limit ? (I've now checked and original order was on 29/9/2008.)

Or do you mean that the work is guaranteed ?

Which one, the 12Watt, 18Watt, 25Watt or 80Watt ?

Usually the cold end but I've been burning my fingers since I was about 8 years old - now 48.

PM me and we can go into details. Too many other manufacturers reading these threads:eyebrows:.

Gazjam
29-10-2008, 13:38
I am not sleeping well at all these days. The MK6 with mOD21 is shifting like hot buns, and I have had to rush through a special production of 100 pieces just so I could get the cost down of fitting the mod to the MK6/3. Otherwise it is going to be too close to call price wise with the 7510+. Even more worrying is that some folks have started to put down a deposit on the 7510+ after just hearing the 1st prototype. Talk about being under pressure:(.

Actually, on listening again to the Dac..

its a bit shit.
Dont buy one, stick with what you've got.

;)

...sorry Stan. :)

StanleyB
29-10-2008, 14:15
Cheers Gary:).
With less than £100 between the MK6/4 and the 7510+, it ain't much more money for most folks. Some spend that on just one side of a stereo interconnect. Maybe I can goldplate the case or put some brick in it just to increase the price:eyebrows:. What about licensing the Goldmund label:lolsign:?

Acorn3a
29-10-2008, 14:26
How about fitting some super duper, anti vibration, shock absorbing, never heard anything like it feet? :lol:

Labarum
29-10-2008, 14:26
Stanley! Stanley! Stan dear friend! Can we have a gold star on the back to show it's a 6/4 and not any old 6/3? Please, O please, and pretty please. :)

More seriously, do you change some components on the main board, or will we see a little piggy back board?

Gazjam
29-10-2008, 14:58
Stick a Copper Beresford logo on it
and call it a 7510 "SB Signature"

Labarum
29-10-2008, 15:09

That ought to be worth a £50 premium!

We'll have you your six bedroom mansion with sea view in no time, Stanley!

(Does SB mean SqueezeBox or SoundBlaster?)

StanleyB
29-10-2008, 15:20

That is a good idea for the high-end one I am working on for next year. I need to find reason to sell a DAC at £1000:lol:. Some fancy casing and fake Chinese caps with highly respected brand names printed on them should do the trick:scratch:.

Labarum
29-10-2008, 15:32
That is a good idea for the high-end one I am working on for next year. I need to find reason to sell a DAC at £1000:lol:. Some fancy casing and fake Chinese caps with highly respected brand names printed on them should do the trick:scratch:.

Got to have at least one thermionic valve in it, Stanley, then you can charge £2000.

Gazjam
30-10-2008, 10:45
Words starting to spread...

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/view_topic.php?id=32164&forum_id=1&jump_to=532932#p532932

StanleyB
30-10-2008, 11:43
That's the longest a thread has stayed up there with mention of me since I got ejected.

Marco
30-10-2008, 12:38
Hehe... Gazza (and Covenant) make sure you mention where you read it first (on AOS - preferably with a link) over there whenever you can ;)

Stan, rest assured that what happened to you on Wigwam will NEVER happen here!

Marco.

gary
28-11-2008, 00:36
Marketing makes a difference does the fact that "You're nobody without a Naim" mean that their top of the range amp is actually worth the asking price or is it customer perception, your dac's are outperforming high end naim cd players costing consideribly more, the only difference I can see is the price and the market they are aimed at. Good luck Stan

Gary

StanleyB
28-11-2008, 07:46
Cheers Gary. As a matter of fact, I have already been out of stock ahead of my ordering schedule twice in the last 4 weeks. And at the rate they are shifting, I am going to be out of stock by the end of next week, with the next possible factory delivery only available the weekend before Christmas.
I reckon that with the credit crunch biting into the more expensive HIFI purchases, many people are looking for more bangs for their bucks. A crying shame that I can't make my DAC in the sort of quantities like the big boys. But switching from cottage industry to mainstream manufacturer is just too risky in these uncertain times.

StanleyB
04-12-2008, 22:33
HIFI Choice called me today to say that I am in their next issue out on the 8th of January. Apparently I got 5 star for value for money.

leo
04-12-2008, 23:23
Thats great news Stan!!

popol_vuh
04-12-2008, 23:24
HIFI Choice called me today to say that I am in their next issue out on the 8th of January. Apparently I got 5 star for value for money.

Congratulations Stan! It's very nice to see your work recognised :).

Labarum
05-12-2008, 06:56

Great!

Ali Tait
06-12-2008, 16:14
Nice one Stan.Well deserved IMHO.

Gromit
09-12-2008, 11:11
I've just bought a used Mk6/3 (I think it's less than 6 months old) so am really looking forward to hearing what it does. From the description folk have made of its sonics, I think it's going to be right up my street.

I'll live with it for a wee while than get Stan to breathe on it with the Mod21.

Marco
09-12-2008, 11:15
Nice to see you back, Richard :)

Marco.

Gromit
09-12-2008, 11:22
Nice to see you back, Richard :)

Marco.

Thanks Marco :)

Peter Stockwell
09-12-2008, 14:07
I've been waiting for this one.

Any news on delivery dates ?

StanleyB
09-12-2008, 18:01
Jan/Feb 2009.

leo
10-12-2008, 16:47
A friend let me borrow this for a few days:)
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1293/4634025/9699445/346652161.jpg

Remember I'm into diy but for a commercial unit you'd be struggling to better these for the price

Marco
10-12-2008, 17:11
The Beresford is *very* good. It got pretty close to my modded Sony. Stan's DAC rather shockingly demonstrates the laws of diminishing returns in hi-fi - to get that extra 10%, or so, that the top DACs deliver (and I'm not necessarily referring to current uber-'hi-end' designs here ;)), requires the spending of a lot more cash and therefore consequently far less sound-per-pound value.

I could completely understand anyone buying the Beresford, using it with a top-notch transport, or in a quality computer audio set-up, and forgetting about upgrading their digital hardware for a very long time :)

Marco.

Gromit
11-12-2008, 13:20
Well my Beresford arrived safely this morning and has been playing away for the last couple of hours.

Sounds pretty damn good - it's just so much more 'tidy' sounding than the SB's internal DAC. Clearer, less 'noisy' and with far more depth and breadth. Less halo around intruments and more fundamental tone. Would give the CA840C's DAC a very good run for its money.

I'll probably end up selling my Slee Solo Phones amp now as I can just use the 7510's headphone socket for late night listening. :)

Well chuffed. :)

Marco
11-12-2008, 13:29
Nice one, Richard. It's quite a special little box :)

I'll probably end up selling my Slee Solo Phones amp now as I can just use the 7510's headphone socket for late night listening.

I'm very interested. Give me a shout once the festive period is over and we'll do a deal :cool:

Marco.

Gromit
11-12-2008, 13:50
Nice one, Richard. It's quite a special little box :)
I'm very interested. Give me a shout once the festive period is over and we'll do a deal :cool:

Marco.

Will do Marco - thanks. :)

Filterlab
11-12-2008, 19:57
A friend let me borrow this for a few days:)
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1293/4634025/9699445/346652161.jpg

Remember I'm into diy but for a commercial unit you'd be struggling to better these for the price

Sorry to look at the wrong section of the photo, but that is one very nice piece of wood. Burr walnut?