PDA

View Full Version : Do cables break in?

tfarney
10-09-2008, 12:27
OK, first of all, I'd be more than willing to admit that this could be my imagination, or just unfamiliarity with the material, but I had to replace the cable on my Sennheiser HD580s the other day, and I just sat down to listen with that new cable (built for the 650, a bit heavier, but that could just be the insulation) last night. I played a lossless file of a CD I just bought, Shelby Lynne's tribute to Dusty Springfield, "Just A Little Lovin'."

The midrange - Shelby's vocals, to be exact - actually seemed to open up as I listened to that recording. I know, that's a little nutty. But the first couple of cuts seemed closed-in, veiled a bit, and by the time I got to the end of the cd they seemed more immediate and present. No night and day drama here, pretty subtle, but there it is. Probably my imagination.

By the way, have any of you heard this recording? She doesn't try to sound like Dusty. The phrasing, the emotional content is very different. The arrangements are dramatically different and very surprising given that it is produced by Phil Ramone. It is very simple and immediate. Guitar, bass, drums, piano. It's as if, late one night, you wander into a smoky hotel lounge to find the ghost of Dusty, transformed by the weight of a lifetime of regret, singing with a small jazz ensemble. She's in a pensive mood, and the delivery is so achingly intimate that it makes you feel like an intruder on a private moment, a voyeur.

Great record.

Tim

Marco
10-09-2008, 12:46
Hi Tim,

Of course you could be imagining it, but based on similar experiences with cables on a number of occasions I suspect not.

Why this effect happens is anyone's guess. Some in the past have submitted various theories, scientific and otherwise, but none that fully explain this particular phenomenon; of course that doesn't mean what you heard is not real.

I guess that it's another occasion with hi-fi in which to trust your ears and worry not, which is something I have no problem in doing :)

As for the Shelby Lynne recording, no I haven't got it, but I will get it now after your thoughful and poignant appraisal!

Marco.

Tony Moore
10-09-2008, 14:22
I too have experienced this on occasion with interconnects and I can't explain it or defend it either!

Cheers,
Tony

tfarney
10-09-2008, 15:00
Hi Tim,

Of course you could be imagining it, but based on similar experiences with cables on a number of occasions I suspect not.

Why this effect happens is anyone's guess. Some in the past have submitted various theories, scientific and otherwise, but none that fully explain this particular phenomenon; of course that doesn't mean what you heard is not real.

I guess that it's another occasion with hi-fi in which to trust your ears and worry not, which is something I have no problem in doing :)

As for the Shelby Lynne recording, no I haven't got it, but I will get it now after your thoughful and poignant appraisal!

Marco.

Let me know what you think of the Shelby Lynne record. If you really like it, run straight back to the store and pick up "I Am Shelby Lynne." She is one of those artists who veers around stylistically and takes pretty big risks, so you might not like everything, but those two are pretty hard to argue with.

Tim

Cotlake
10-09-2008, 18:52
Yep, I've experienced cable break in in all external cabling and even about 18 inches of internal stuff. Can't explain it but now expect it to happen. It is certainly more than just becoming familiar to a presentation of sound when new cable is introduced.

Marco
11-09-2008, 06:47
Let me know what you think of the Shelby Lynne record. If you really like it, run straight back to the store and pick up "I Am Shelby Lynne." She is one of those artists who veers around stylistically and takes pretty big risks, so you might not like everything, but those two are pretty hard to argue with.

Sounds good, Tim. I'll report back in the music room. I'll give you a couple of recommendations... Have you heard Cara Dillon or Kate Walsh? I think they'd be right up your street. Both have achingly, heart-felt, beautiful voices tinged with passion and sentiment, ably supported by subtle and complimentary acoustic instrumental backing.

Check out the albums 'After the Morning' by Cara Dillon and, the somewhat appropriately titled 'Tim's House' by Kate Walsh :)

Marco.

tfarney
11-09-2008, 22:50
Sounds good, Tim. I'll report back in the music room. I'll give you a couple of recommendations... Have you heard Cara Dillon or Kate Walsh? I think they'd be right up your street. Both have achingly, heart-felt, beautiful voices tinged with passion and sentiment, ably supported by subtle and complimentary acoustic instrumental backing.

Check out the albums 'After the Morning' by Cara Dillon and, the somewhat appropriately titled 'Tim's House' by Kate Walsh :)

Marco.

Thanks Marco, I'll give them a listen.

Tim

Marco
11-09-2008, 22:58
Nice one, Tim. Cara's a bit more 'folky' in style. She's got a really 'creamy'-toned voice. Kate's musical and vocal style is simpler and kind of refreshes you like a gentle breeze on a hot summer's day :smoking:

Marco.

Alan
06-11-2008, 13:33
last night. I played a lossless file of a CD I just bought, Shelby Lynne's tribute to Dusty Springfield, "Just A Little Lovin'."

The midrange - Shelby's vocals, to be exact - actually seemed to open up as I listened to that recording. I know, that's a little nutty. But the first couple of cuts seemed closed-in, veiled a bit, and by the time I got to the end of the cd they seemed more immediate and present. No night and day drama here, pretty subtle, but there it is. Probably my imagination.

By the way, have any of you heard this recording? She doesn't try to sound like Dusty. The phrasing, the emotional content is very different. The arrangements are dramatically different and very surprising given that it is produced by Phil Ramone. It is very simple and immediate. Guitar, bass, drums, piano. It's as if, late one night, you wander into a smoky hotel lounge to find the ghost of Dusty, transformed by the weight of a lifetime of regret, singing with a small jazz ensemble. She's in a pensive mood, and the delivery is so achingly intimate that it makes you feel like an intruder on a private moment, a voyeur.

Great record.

Tim

Bought it after this Tim, fantastic mood, takes me somewhere good. One of those CDs I can't stop playing, I agree with your review & comments. :)

Now I'm going on amazon to get 'I am Shelby Lynne'

Thanks for the recommendation. BTW, tried Cara Dillon yet? Really nice also.