PDA

View Full Version : Hd-dvd Is It Another Con?

nando
02-02-2008, 17:46
Now The News Appear To Be That Blu-ray And Warner Brothers Chose That Way To Go, What About Us ? And Where Do We Go From Here? What Is Next " Purple Ray...

Lowrider
03-02-2008, 08:19
I am staying out of this race...

Never bothered with SACD, looking for a player / processor finally got it, bought about 20 SACDs, but I doubt my next player will support it, probably a PC...

Filterlab
07-02-2008, 12:35
Now The News Appear To Be That Blu-ray And Warner Brothers Chose That Way To Go, What About Us ? And Where Do We Go From Here? What Is Next " Purple Ray...

I think it was always going to be Blu-ray that came out on top due to MS not fitting the HD-DVD drive as standard in the Xbox360. Sony made a really smart move with the PS3 drive and they've succeeded in becoming the inventor of yet another new benchmark format. For HD-DVD owners, there are still HD-DVDs for sale and will be plenty on the second-hand market for a long time. Also the HD-DVD players still play DVDs and upscale those to 1080i or 1080p depending on the player. The hardware will still be useful for playing existing HD-DVDs but inevitably it'll be like Betamax was in the late 70s.

Since Blu-ray is now the standard for HD playback, it's likely that it'll remain for around around 12-15 years before the next format comes along. DVDs will die out over the next few years in the same way as videos have, although it may take longer as formats tend to hang around for quite a while, particularly if folk feel comfortable with them and they are standards used the globe over.

Everything runs its course, but HD-DVD experienced bad support from key organisations effectively shortening its life.

Major televisual standard format releases:

Beta - 1975
VHS - 1976
Laserdisc - 1978
DVD - 1995
HD-DVD - 2006
Blu-ray - 2006

Filterlab
07-02-2008, 12:38
Have a read about Maxell's HD storage disc, the Holographic Versatile Disc - likely to be Blu-ray's replacement in about ten or so years. Could well be called Green-ray. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

greenhomeelectronics
19-02-2008, 09:23
They have invented a new format for old people to watch old war films on, it' s called the blue rinse ray. Apparently it can automatically detect cliches and add the words "in my day" and "when I was a lad" to the sound track. Also any time somebody bends over it adds those "ooh" and "arghh" sounds with a slight creaking noise commensurate with arthritis. Very clever.
Seriously though now Toshiba have puled out as a result of both Blockbuster and Wal-Mart backing blu ray, hd dvd is well and truly dead.
Dave.

Mike
19-02-2008, 19:29
Looks like HD-DVD is dead now that Tosh have pulled the plug. :goodnight:

Filterlab
19-02-2008, 21:39
They have invented a new format for old people to watch old war films on, it' s called the blue rinse ray. Apparently it can automatically detect cliches and add the words "in my day" and "when I was a lad" to the sound track. Also any time somebody bends over it adds those "ooh" and "arghh" sounds with a slight creaking noise commensurate with arthritis. Very clever.

LOL! That's nothing though, Green-ray can remember when this was all just fields. :lol: